A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sour Apple Romper EDIT: TUTE NOW AVAILABLE!!!  (Read 26974 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plummy
« on: April 19, 2009 01:26:56 PM »

This is my brand new romper!  I have fallen in love with all the rompers I have seen, both here and on etsy, so I decided to make myself one!  I call it my 'sour apple' romper, and it features a grumpy apple face on the front.  I was inspired by the sour apple toys here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantastictoys/

Let me know what you think!  Would you guys wear it outside, or have it as a strictly inside-only garment?  I was thinking about using it for lounging inside, and as sleepwear in the summer.  Opinions?

EDIT:  You guys wanted a tutorial, and I finally finished all my vacation/moving houses whatnot, and here it is!  This is a romper that I specifically made to be worn as jammies and it is so comfy!  Please let me know if you guys like my tutorial and if there is anything I need to clarify!  Also, if you make any rompers from this tute please, PLEASE post a link here!  I would love to see them!  Cheesy  Alright, here it is!

STEP ONE!  Take measurements.  I use stretchy materials (no zipper, no darts, I'm a happy camper) so my measurements didn't need to be precise.  Cut out pieces that look like these: 

The band around your bust, all told, should measure about your bust measurement.  The leg/body piece...lets see, the top bit (skinny) unfolded should be half of your bust band (because you have 2 leg/body pieces!).  The bottom cut line should be the distance around one thigh, plus extra if you want it to be ruffly like I did (it's why my 'leg' portion gets wider at the bottom--I'm accommodating the ruffles!).  The curve I pretty much just eyed--I drew a 90degree angle and then made it curvy instead of a sharp corner.  The top of the leg bit is the measurement around the top of your thigh.  I do realize I'm probably being confusing with all this measurement stuff, but please just read through the tute or try it out, and it will (hopefully) make sense!  ;P

STEP TWO: Unfold the leg/body pieces and sew the side seams (right sides together).  Important!  Don't sew the sides of the legs.  Follow where the dashed lines are on my drawing.  Tongue

STEP THREE:  Rotate this body/leg unit and then sew the crotch seam.  You should have a weird sort of pant item now, with two distinct legs and a torso.

STEP FOUR: Sew on the bust band.

STEP FIVE: Sew on a doubled-over band on the top (raw) edge of the bust band.  This will finish this seam and add additional support so the edge isn't flimsy.

STEP SIX: Add elastic at the leg holes.  I just measured the elastic by stretching it around my thigh as tight as I wanted it to be.  Remember to stretch the elastic so it gathers the material if you wanted it to be ruffly! 

STEP SEVEN:  Add straps, decorations, whatever you want!  Yay, you're done!  Cheesy

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009 12:27:52 AM by plummy - Reason: AWESOME TUTE NOW AVAILABLE! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to trade for kawaii Japanese fabric or cabochons!  PM me if you're interested!

Visit my etsy shop!   Cute girly clothing and accessories!  bydanalynn.etsy.com
S.E. Hardy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009 01:31:04 PM »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaay too cute!
I totally want one!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All-Natural Hand-Crafted Family-Made Soap!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SemiNomadicSoap
roccstarr75
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009 01:39:07 PM »

Its totally adorable and you're adorable in it, but that's kinda why I think you should keep it indoors.  It toooo adorable, kinda kiddie/childish.  If I saw you out in it, I would be like, "How old does she think she is?!?!", But for rompin' around the house, PERFECT!!!!!  (remember: you asked! HAHAHA!!!)

*EDIT*  I didn't really think of it before other said it, but I totally agree with th e whole beach/pool thing.  I mean swimsuits are way skimpier anyways, this could actually be used as a cover-up.  Or for just rompin' around the beach, again, PERFECT!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009 09:48:11 AM by roccstarr75 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Martyni
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009 02:15:28 PM »

If you've got the body and the confidence to wear it outside then wear it outside, otherwise it'll have to stay inside. It look a bit crazy, but in a very good way! Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009 02:40:32 PM »

I guess I'm alone here because when I saw the thumbnail on the front page, I thought: "Vintage bathing suit." That's what it resembles (to me). (I have to admit that this is the first time I've heard of this kind of outfit, though, so I'm not entirely sure what they're meant for--but now I want one.)
So, I'd say feel free to hang out at the beach or pool or in a park in it. I think it's adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
Lody
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009 02:49:40 PM »

I think the fact that it is a romper does make it very inside-only -- but if you slipped a skirt over it, I think it would be an adorable way to make it outside-safe (and then you could let your skirt blow in the wind and be like hey, it's not like I'm showing my underwear XD)! Totally cute either ways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
maehem

.glitz and glamour.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009 03:35:42 PM »

I think the fact that it is a romper does make it very inside-only -- but if you slipped a skirt over it, I think it would be an adorable way to make it outside-safe (and then you could let your skirt blow in the wind and be like hey, it's not like I'm showing my underwear XD)! Totally cute either ways.

this is what i was going to say! I think it would look super cute with a high waisted black skirt, and then it would still show off the apple face!!

Great job though, this is really cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 alyssamae
purefairydust
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009 04:11:51 PM »

The romper you made is great for relaxing inside. Outside in your yard would be okay, but I would use a different type of material in the romper for other places outside. It sure does look comfy though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
curbside prophet

d'ya wanna dance?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009 07:41:10 PM »

you look freaking cute in this.
i would wear it out; my only reservation is the elastic around the legholes. i think that if you hemmed them normally, you could definitely get away with wearing it out because the elastic makes it look like a kid's playsuit.

this would be adorable in red, too.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm just a curbside prophet with my hand in my pocket and I'm waiting for my rocket to come.
--Jason Mraz
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009 08:09:12 PM »

I wear mine out, but not to just anywhere, ya know? I have such a boner for Katy Perry and all her jumpers, and I think that's how you should rock this one. It's not something to wear alone, It needs some kick ass wedge cork sandals, and big sunglasses. Maybe a big floppy hat...see where I'm going? You don't want to be to crazy, but just out there enough to prove your a risk taking chick. Usually when I think I'm looking a little to crazy I get 5 million people lovin what I did. So in conclusion, you look fab!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Your Red Jeans with Style
Scottish Fashion Is Back in Brouge
White Jeans No Longer Just For Summer
Different Celebrity, Same Dress: Jessica Alba Vs. Lily Donaldson
DIY: Update a Black Blazer With Metallic Lapels
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...