A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: God Save the Queen (and her suitcase) Photo Extravaganza!  (Read 776 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annalisa
« on: April 19, 2009 12:47:00 PM »

Hidden beneath my bed is a surprisingly large vintage suitcase collection. Whenever I see one at the salvation army, I'm always tempted to buy it. There are only so many suitcases a person can own before they have to do something with them though. This one started out as a very beaten up, light blue American Traveler suitcase. The inside was stained and smelled of 30 year old cigarette smoke. Looking at it one day, I realized it wasn't punk rock enough. Enter in an ambitious plan to make it like the Sex Pistols' God Save the Queen album.

The project took forever. The first time I tried it I didn't prime the suitcase and so the paint didn't stick as well. Months later, I tried again and this time used primer. The blue is spray paint. The white, green, and red are all house paint. The stencils I tried to make did not turn out well, so I ended up hand painting everything. The details of the queen were made with a sharpie. The whole suitcase was then finished with some glossy paint sealer we had in the garage.

Closeup of the Punk Rock Queen:

The suitcase:

Close-up of traditional Queen:

Side Two:

Lines from the side:

Inside Overall:

Inside Side One:

The main map is an old road map from Seattle with a small map of Strausburg, Germany used to fill in the gaps. The papers are all from various places I've visited or postcards I've been stockpiling from post-crossing. The ICA visitor's guide one is actually a three folder pocket.

Inside Side Two:

"Oh, the places you'll go!" is a Dr. Seuss quote. I had to outline the paint in red sharpie so that it would show up better. The pictures from top left: Indiana Jones, Ada Lovelace, Amelia Earhart, Zora Neale Hurston, Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, Grace O'Malley, Nancy Drew, Nellie Bly, The Beatles, and Percy Fawcett. They're all my favorite explorers/adventurers/mathematician

The original cover for the album was designed in the 1970s by Jamie Reid. Here are the reference pictures I used:
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/03/10/1003pistols_wideweb__470x324,0.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3468/3290148623_227dce4dbe.jpg
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009 01:11:05 PM by la_fille_muette » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MHD
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009 12:50:52 PM »

wow, that's pretty damn cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009 01:17:56 PM »

nifty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Photos of Christmas Lights
How to Take Great Pictures of Cats
Shaking Up the Holiday Family Photo
Long Exposure Photography
Camera Pixel Resolution
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...