A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
767 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for Young Dollhouse Miniaturists  (Read 538 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maeveone
« on: April 18, 2009 06:36:44 PM »

My hobby is 1:12 scale dollhouse miniatures. I both make and buy things, and my houses and roomboxes (and those I have planned) are from a range of eras. I'm looking for miniaturist friends in my own age group!

Here's my sad tale of loneliness. Tongue

I've been in a club for 13 years. However, I joined when I was 10, and the youngest member there until I was 18 years old, was 30. Now there's one other young member, but she's about 5 years younger than me, and she's almost never there, and we never properly made friends. We're on nodding terms it seems. Sad

Every time I ask on miniatures forums for young miniaturists, there's no one there, and everyone just tells me that age doesn't matter in the hobby. No, it doesn't, but I'd still like to have some peers with the same hobby. I can't invite the 50 year old ladies to go to the museum with me for dollhouse research/chat, nor can I properly chat on msn. And though they don't mean to, they censor their conversation around me, like I'm still 12 years old instead of 23. The forums are good for talking entirely on topic, but I'd like to have miniatures as a basis for friendship- that's what lots of the older ladies get to do.

My mother and I do the hobby together, but I'd just love to find some miniaturists in my own age group (and I'm leaving it wide. Anyone between 15 and 30 would be great!), who hopefully I can chat to online, and if by some miracle you live nearby, perhaps meet up to do miniatures together. It'd be nice if it turned out we had other things in common, but that's not necessary. You also don't have to be an experienced miniaturist, you could just be interested in starting up! Yours also doesn't have to be 1:12 scale.

Hopefully someone here would be interested. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.notebookinhand.com - Forum for Creative Types. Writers, artists, musicians, crafters, get together for support and chat.
jessarama
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009 10:08:25 PM »

I think this is a great idea! I have been frustrated in the past in terms of loving dollhouses and small things, yet feeling marginalized by people who think the only people who want to work on this scale are wealthy old ladies. I like to work at a precise scale occasionally, but also like skewing perceptions. I am 32, but very immature.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maeveone
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010 10:49:40 PM »

Anyone else? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.notebookinhand.com - Forum for Creative Types. Writers, artists, musicians, crafters, get together for support and chat.
thegreengriffin
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010 10:58:56 PM »

Hey! I wouldve replied earlier, but i just found this, i am 21 and just got into miniatures and am hooked! 100%!  id love to discuss stuff, trade ideas, maybe even do a swap! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melsmaddness
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010 02:06:09 PM »

Check into the Greenleaf dollhouse forum. I think you can get there from a link on their main page. At one time I was very active there and they had a lot of young members, as well as us older ones. I wish I could find the time and space to take up the hobby again. As it is I do not have room for the many houses I have already completed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010 06:22:22 PM »

I work in miniatures for D&D which is smaller than dollhouse, but I'd be more than happy to exchange ideas, practices, etc. - oh - and I'm 26 Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheese and Onion Stuffed Hamburgers Recipe
Broiled Parmesan Pearl Onions Recipe
Deep Fried French Fries Recipe
Tart and Tangy Tartar Sauce Recipe
Hot and Tasty Onion Rings Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...