A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,981
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anything I should know before hand-sewing sequins by the yard?  (Read 580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Juniper_Ann
« on: April 17, 2009 10:05:30 PM »

I'm filling an applique in with sequins.  In the name of better control (and being afraid of breaking a needling on the glass beads), I'm hand-sewing them.  In the name of speed, I'm using pre-strung sequins by the yard.  The only info I could find about hand-sewing sequins by the yard was this:

http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/1296#

It never occurred to me to stitch at a 45 degree angle (I was going to go straight across), so I'm wondering if there's anything I haven't thought of yet.  Anyone have tips or know of more detailed directions?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
x46
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009 08:42:38 AM »

I have a book that shows designer how-to's.  What they did for sewing any trim in the middle of a garment, where you cant tuck the ends into a seam, is to unravel about 4-6" on the end of the trim and pull the cords to the back of the garment where you can finish them off.  I think the 45degree angle is to make the thread slide between the sequins so you won't see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BT
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009 02:28:44 PM »

Are you sure you want to hand sew them? There are some wonderful fabric glues on the market.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juniper_Ann
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009 04:21:48 PM »

Thanks, x46, 4" is perfect for getting a thread that's just long enough to tie in a knot.  After sewing sequins around the first heart, I realized that sewing straight across at a 45 degree angle wasn't giving me the control I needed, so I've started sewing up on one side, down in the middle, then up on the other side, and back down in the middle. 

Considering how loooong it's taking me to do this, I can definitely see why BT suggested fabric glues, and I appreciate your suggestion.  However, I feel more confident about my sewing ability than my gluing ability--with sewing, I can easily rip out a stitch or rip the whole thing out if I change my mind.  Gluing seems more permanent. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Red Slime
How to Make Pink Slime
How to Make Slime
How to Make Red Playdough
How to Make Blue Plasticine
Latest Blog Articles
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...