A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First knits: ribbed and nonribbed hats and scarves  (Read 678 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

echo_brook
Mollusks inhabit the soft parts of my heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 16, 2009 10:05:31 PM »

So I finally learned how to knit! To practice my basic knit, purl, increase, decrease skills I have been churning out hats and scarves. Here are my first projects:

These were made for the tree swap. I chose the yarn colors to simulate wood grain. No ribbing because this sucker was a good 7 feet long and over a foot wide. Ribbing would have driven me nuts! The felt appliques are also hand embroidered.

Hat and scarf made for a friend's birthday. First time working with cotton yarn and I think I'm in love. The hat was too short when I took it off the needles so I had to put it back on. I had trouble catching the ribbing pattern again so I just turned it into a brim Tongue
Fun action shot just because:

Thank you for looking! Comment and critiques welcome. I'm a newby knitter so any pointers are greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Newly moved to the Tri Valley area (Dublin, CA) and would love to meet craftsters here. Please don't be shy about PMing me.

http://www.wists.com/echo_brook

I do personal swaps.
ninjanator
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009 04:19:03 AM »

I've yet to concur those darn increases and decreases and just circle knitting in general Roll Eyes i really like how your tree swap ones turned out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Fudpen10
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009 06:24:25 AM »

They are lovely hats and scarves. I can't believe this is your first knitting project. I love the touch of the felt leaves and acorns. Makes them look very special.

Increasing and decreasing is not hard so long as there is nothing to interrupt you. If my children are around, I notice I count out loud when I'm increasing or decreasing, probably to drown out the noise. They've learnt not to interrupt me and as a by product they learnt to count early on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog: http://www.timetocraft.co.uk
ravelry: knittedandpurled
echo_brook

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009 07:30:57 AM »

Thank you both for your kind words. Smiley
Ninjanator, don't worry about not quite having the whole increase/decrease down. These took me several months because I had to keep frogging stuff that I screwed up. Tongue Oh well. And I completely cheated with using round needle instead of the proper four double pointed needles. *sigh* I need to learn those to do knitted amiguri which is what I'm really after but they scare the bejesus out of me.
Fudpen10, how funny that your children learned to count by listening to you knit! If my cat spoke English I think the same thing might have happened to her though. haha. As is, she has just developed a taste for acrylic yarns. lol. At least she leaves the expensive yarns alone Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Newly moved to the Tri Valley area (Dublin, CA) and would love to meet craftsters here. Please don't be shy about PMing me.

I do personal swaps.
Fudpen10
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009 07:50:00 AM »

Don't worry about the double pointed needles, echo_brook. I put them off for years, partly because I had images of stitches falling off the needles on the other side of the work when I wasn't looking. Turns out they don't, unless they are pushed! It is meant to be easier on your wrists.

One tip I would pass on is to move/knit the last one or two stitches onto the next needle each time you move on to the next needle. That way the same stitches are not always at the end of the needles, otherwise you get a ladder effect going up your hat or socks. Pulling tight doesn't help either. I found that out five pairs of socks later. Have a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog: http://www.timetocraft.co.uk
ravelry: knittedandpurled
echo_brook

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009 12:41:50 PM »

Thanks for the tips Fudpen10 Smiley You have coaxed me a little closer to the double needles
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Side Roll Bun Up-Do
How to Create a Soft Hanging Bun
How to Make a Cute Twist Hair Style
How to Do a Up-Do for Curly Hair
How to Create an Up-Do Hair Style
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...