A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 303,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pretty (big) in pink  (Read 7031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: February 21, 2004 09:52:03 PM »

It seems I'm always in need of a bigger bag.  So, it came to my attention that making a new bag would be nice for carrying my books and supplies class.  This bag is actually about 15" long by 12" tall and 2 or 3" deep.  It's really quite handy.  

I got this image from a link I found in one of the discussions here on Craftster.  I'm not sure where, but thank you to whoever posted it!  Basically, I just sketched it out in the white pencil, and painted it black.  I changed it a bit from the initial clip art, but owe them the credit, nonetheless.  

After applying fusible interfacing, I cut out squares on the bottom (for putting the bag together), and straps.  For extra thickness, I used interfacing in on the straps too.  I sewed them up to about an inch from the top of my fabric.  

For the linig, I used a solid black, but attached a pink pocket.  

Because this bag is specifically for taking to my design class, extra sewing provides for pencil pockets.  

Finally, pencil pockets and lining complete.  

And it's finished.  It's larger than it looks, and fits my textbook, supplies, and 11"x14" sketchbook.  

If you've got any questions on how it was put together, feel free to ask.. I didn't provide much because I know there are some excellent tutorials already on Craftster:)  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011 12:53:04 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004 09:59:10 PM »

That's adorable! I always find myself in need of a large art/craft bag. So much to carry around.
Did you sketch the art by hand? I must say I'm impressed if so.

Blurring the lines between artsy and geeky
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004 10:40:14 PM »

Thanks!  Actually, I'm not that impressive. I sketched out the inside, but cheated and traced the outside shape of the girl:)  
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004 11:09:10 PM »

wow! i wish i could find fabric in that shade of pink. What a cute bag.

and i'll carry you, if you promise to carry me, and we'll carry we. it's a simple thing, you and me.

You can't make me grow up!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004 03:21:50 PM »

that is realy cute

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004 03:54:25 PM »

that looks amazing!

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004 04:04:58 PM »

i love your bag!!!!  i do have a question...

how do you sew the handles on like that?  you just sew them directly onto the bag along each side??  i really like this style w/ the handles.  i tend to carry a lot in a purse and find that "normal" handles seem to weak for all the weight.  do you find any drawbacks to them??  thanks!!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004 07:11:04 PM »

For the handles, I took long strip of fabric, approximately four inches wide, used fusible interfacing on the back, folded them in half, and then each half again, and sewed along the opening.  And basically, I just sewed them on to each side of the purse like that.  Just make sure not to sew the straps all the way to the top  of the side fabric as you will need it later to either fold over the inner lining, or sew the lining on to (depending on how you make your purse)..  The handles work really well, actually, and I haven't found a draw back yet!  Good luck making them!!

(oh yeah - i found the pink fabric on the dollar-yard table at walmart a while back - so, you might want to check there?)

koala bears instead of cockroaches!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004 07:28:55 PM »

www.sewingschool.org - Sewing is Fun!
UPDATED Jordy Bag Pattern - Now with illustrations: www.jordynnmackenzie.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004 07:47:00 PM »

That's an awesome bag!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fujifilm F200 EXR Review
How to Buy a DSLR Camera
Digital Photography Tips: Better Pictures - Part 2
How to Find and Photograph Comet Lulin
DruaShield DSLR Sling bag Backpack - Product Review
Latest Blog Articles
Beware! Black Cats!
Meatless Monday: Pickled Peppers
Spotlight on: Precious Metal Clay

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...