A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Watercolor Stencil Portrait + TUTORIAL  (Read 468902 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , watercolor , craftster_best_of_2009 , tutorial , stenciled  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thebakersgirl
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2009 01:20:12 PM »

Thank you sooo much for the Tute!!!  I used it to make a portrait of Trent Reznor for my BFF.
That looks awesome! Do you have a link to the picture of Trent you made the stencil from? I'd love to make a portrait like that for my boyfriend (he worships Trent Reznor, haha). Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh sweet Jesus! A boob! She's making a BOOB!" -InkFaery
The Hunger Games Swap: crafting!
http://emilymayhem.blogspot.com
DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2009 02:33:43 PM »

This is so Crazy Cool.

I've been lurking on the thread but haven't caught every post. Does anyone know of a GOOD free software that I can use to convert the pictures?  I don't have Photoshop or any other photo editing software.  Do some of those photo storage sites like Flikr or Photobucket have any editing capabilities?

I've tried messing with MS Word for a converstion and it just doesn't work the the way I thought it would.  Maybe it's operator error?   Wink 

I've got the paper, the watercolors and the masking fluid. I've attempted a couple of pictures using silouttes but they are only marginally decent. I'm gonna give it a couple more tries before I post.  Wink

Thanks in advance for any help that any one can give on the software question.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2009 04:19:01 PM »

photoscape is great and it is free!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2009 04:33:00 PM »

gimp works really well, too.  (It's free and works on a bunch of operating systems.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beeker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Meep!

« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2009 05:09:42 PM »

www.picnik.com is the program that I like.

I just started this project with 2 classes of 6th graders, we will see how well they do. I can already tell some of them will have big holes in their heads instead of eyes because they did not mask the whites of their eyes. I am debating whether or not to tweak their pictures for them.
What do you all think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

Snarky housewife swap! - crafting my little heart out
McJulie-O
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2009 05:19:29 PM »

This is so Crazy Cool.

I've tried messing with MS Word for a converstion and it just doesn't work the the way I thought it would.  Maybe it's operator error?   Wink 

I've got the paper, the watercolors and the masking fluid. I've attempted a couple of pictures using silouttes but they are only marginally decent. I'm gonna give it a couple more tries before I post.  Wink

Thanks in advance for any help that any one can give on the software question.

I haven't used the fancy photo editing programs, but I DID edit my photo in MicroSoft Office Photo Manager....

Once you open your photo in Photo Manager, you click "Edit Photo", which gives you a whole new menu, "Edit Using These Tools", where you can click on "Color" and then adjust "Saturation" to -100 (making the photo black and white), and then go back and click on "Edit Photo" again, so you can then click on "Brightness and Contrast". Fiddling with these varies from photo to photo, but generally under "Contrast", you can slide the level to a much higher number than it started at.... to get more of a stencil look, you will need to also click on the "Advanced Settings" "More" button so that you can adjust the "Midtone". "Highlight", and "Shadow" levels.

Hope this helps.....If I can muddle through, so can anybody!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2009 05:35:44 PM »

www.picnik.com is the program that I like.

I just started this project with 2 classes of 6th graders, we will see how well they do. I can already tell some of them will have big holes in their heads instead of eyes because they did not mask the whites of their eyes. I am debating whether or not to tweak their pictures for them.
What do you all think?

I can see a kind of dilemma with "fixing" their pictures for them.... do you have the option of pointing out their inadvertent  mistake, and letting them fix it themselves? I would think it would be a much better learning experience (checking their work, attention to detail, simple inattention can sometimes have undesirable results,  etc.) than your tweaking the paintings...

Unless, of course, the object is to display just how fun the project is, regardless of the outcome...I know I enjoyed doing a second (and third, and fourth) attempt so I could correct my mistakes of the first iteration.

I wonder if there is a way to UNDO and then REDO, once the watercolor has been applied and the mask has been removed...anyone tried it??!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beeker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Meep!

« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2009 05:47:40 PM »

I can see a kind of dilemma with "fixing" their pictures for them.... do you have the option of pointing out their inadvertent  mistake, and letting them fix it themselves? I would think it would be a much better learning experience (checking their work, attention to detail, simple inattention can sometimes have undesirable results,  etc.) than your tweaking the paintings...

Unless, of course, the object is to display just how fun the project is, regardless of the outcome...I know I enjoyed doing a second (and third, and fourth) attempt so I could correct my mistakes of the first iteration.

I wonder if there is a way to UNDO and then REDO, once the watercolor has been applied and the mask has been removed...anyone tried it??!?
I would love to let the kids do it again, but we only have 5 more days of school. I only get them for 45 minutes twice a week and I had to do some wheeling and dealing with their classroom teacher to get some extra time to do this project to begin with. The other problem is that that masking stuff is X PENSIVE! $13 for a 4 oz bottle is the best I could come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

Snarky housewife swap! - crafting my little heart out
McJulie-O
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2009 05:40:28 AM »

I hear you about how expensive the masking fluid is... I bought mine at Michael's w/ a 40% off coupon that they sent by email... (Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon this week, too)

If they haven't already applied the watercolor, it would take only a tiny amount to define the eyes though..... the time is the problem... If it's only a handful of students, maybe they could work on the missed spots (while the others splashed watercolor around) and then use a hairdryer for a quick dry, so they, too, could apply the watercolor in the same class session. Good luck! I salute you!

How great of you to negotiate the time to let them try this in the first place! I'm sure many, like some on this thread, will remember doing this into adulthood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2009 05:56:26 AM »

This is great! Thanks for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Poinsettia Place-Cards
How to Make a Ribbon Christmas Tree
How to Stretch a Canvas
How to Make Christmas Centerpieces
How to Make Christmas Sachets
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...