A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Watercolor Stencil Portrait + TUTORIAL  (Read 471107 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , watercolor , craftster_best_of_2009 , tutorial , stenciled  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

weighanchor
« on: April 15, 2009 12:01:44 AM »

Okay kids, for leaving me all those wonderful and inspiring comments, I give you:

Watercolor Stencil Portraiting - The Tutorial!

Bear with me, it's almost midnight and I am exhausted, and I leave for vacation tomorrow. And I've never done a tutorial before. Hahaha.

Okay. So. Here we go.

1. Take a photo you have lying around. This can be one of the thousands you have lying around your computer of all your friends from years and years back, or any other picture you want.

2. I use photoshop for this step, it's probably possible to do it in other programs, but I have to admit, I'm not sure how. Usually they're all generally like this though.

2a. Open your image.
2b. Desaturate your image. (In Photoshop, this is done by clicking Image > Adjustments > Desaturate) This makes your image black and white.
2c. Adjust the brightness and contrast. (Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast) You want the Contrast at 100% and then you can adjust the Brightness to whatever you think looks best.

You should end up with something like this;

3. Print out your image.

4. Place your image on a lightbox (you can use a window if you don't have a lightbox :]) and tape it down, along with a piece of watercolor paper ontop of it. Like so:

5. Take out your masking fluid! I use Winsor & Newton Brand.

6. Using a crappy brush (this stuff will NEVER come off, no matter how hard you try), paint the masking fluid onto the watercolor paper, covering all of the area that is white in the image below.

7. After you have painted everything you want to paint that will remain white throughout the process, go take a walk. Get a coffee. Make a cake. It takes a while for the masking fluid to dry, and you want to make sure it is COMPLETELY dry before you continue.

8. Making sure the masking fluid is dry, (it will be a little tacky, just as long as it isnt goopy or wet) tape your watercolor paper onto a flat surface. Tape down all the edges and make sure your paper is flat - this will help with wrinkling after you apply the paint.

I didn't do a very good job. And I switched to a painting I had already started to save time. Sorry if that's confusing!

9. PAINT! Go crazy, I never have a plan before going into these things; I just do whatever I feel like.

10. Once you've finished your painting, go take another walk. Sometimes it takes a while for these things to dry and you, once again, need the paint to be COMPLETELY DRY before you continue onto the next step.

11. THIS STEP IS THE MOST FUN. Making sure your paint is completely dry, take an eraser and GENTLY rub at the edge of one of the parts of the masking fluid. It should begin to come away from the paper. Once it does, grab it with your fingers and pull! Continue this until all of the masking fluid is removed.

12. Remove your tape and there you have it! A masterpiece!

Alright, I hope that was helpful to everyone! If you have questions I'd be happy to answer them, but I'll be away from a computer until Monday, so I'm sorry if I can't answer them right away :]

Also, IF YOU USE THIS TUTE, POST WHAT YOU MAKE! I want to see!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mintbamboo
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009 12:21:01 AM »

I didn't do a very good job. And I switched to a painting I had already started to save time. Sorry if that's confusing!

Haha, I began to question your tutorial when I came to this picture.
This is very neat, I'll have to try this once I'm finished exams. Thanks for the tutorial! Very well written Smiley
(What on earth is masking fluid, by the way? Does it have other uses?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
thekster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009 12:25:42 AM »

aw that's neat! i'll have to try this! thanks for the tut Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
pysselverk
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009 12:51:45 AM »

I must say, your paintings are amazing!

I'm taking a beginners watercolour evening class, and we learnt to use masking fluid only yesterday (for making white areas such as glares on glass and foam on wawes etc), and I thought it was OK, but now that I've seen this, I've just GOT to buy a pot of that stuff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Watching paint dry - super fun and exciting! ~Me about watercolors

I see my body as an instrument, rather than an ornament.  ~Alanis Morissette

My blog: http://agglampa.blogg.se/
schnerby
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009 12:59:46 AM »

I love my masking fluid, but I never would have thought of using it like this!

It's icky stuff that goes off after a while, but it is so useful  Smiley

Great tute, thanks  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
lilylola
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009 01:10:07 AM »

Thank you so much for that tutorial, I've had a bottle of masking fluid lying round for ages - I know what me and the kids are doing this afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009 01:24:22 AM by lilylola » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did but backwards and in high heels

MY wist
MY ETSY
folksy shop
cosmo_mouse

Dexter - My best creation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009 01:13:44 AM »

Thanks for the tut. I've been painting for a while but never actually used the masking fluid I've got, now I've seen how you've used it I'm so going to have to give it a go Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riechan
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009 01:43:43 AM »

Thankyou for the tut!!
Can you use something else beside masking paint?
Like removable tape?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
Mannon2
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009 02:47:33 AM »

Gorgeous!  Great work!

For those folks who asked if you can use something other than masking fluid, you could try rubber cement, but it is harder to control and a royal pain in the rear end in general - just go with the masking fluid for your best results (I'm an art teacher, and have done something fairly similar, but not nearly as detailed with my students)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009 04:37:38 AM »

Cool!  Thanks for the tutorial! I'll have to show it to my teenage daughter (loves art) and my 5 year old son (who just used up a set of watercolors last night that he got on Sunday). 

Enjoy your vacation!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009 04:37:59 AM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Delicious Chinese BBQ Pork on the Grill
How to Make a Fiery Asian Boneless Pork Loin on a BBQ Grill
How to Make Korean Style Hot Dogs
How to Make Sweet and Sticky Spareribs with Indian Spices
Best-Ever Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...