A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: another sampler site.........?  (Read 6548 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TabaRhodes
« on: March 28, 2005 05:12:07 PM »

how well recieved do you think another sampler site would be? much like www.homeofthesample r.com
the goal wouldn't be to take business away from that site, but i am always so bummed when i miss out on the subscriptions, so i thought surely a lot of other people are too. and as far as i know there aren't any other sites like it. surely there is room for another sampler site........don't you think???

yea or nea?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005 05:16:25 PM by TabaRhodes » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadey_mcshadey

kys mig, jeg er dansk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005 07:50:43 PM »

Marie's worked really hard on the sampler, the image and stuff. I had the same problem with subscriptions, I ended up contributing so that I would be guaranteed one!

I know that loads of people don't get subscriptions. If more people contributed, more people could subscribe, but I'm pretty sure another sampler site would be pretty poorly received.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005 12:25:54 AM »

i dont think it would go over well at all. they had issues with this awhile ago (someone copying the idea).  It annoyed the artits and people who contributed to the original too bc then they arent getting as much exposure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
laurb88
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005 06:03:01 AM »

It would probably be ill-recieved.  You obviously mean well but most would take it as a poor attempt at copying.  Also, it's really clear that Marie puts a TON of time into the sampler, are you really ready to dedicate that much time and effort? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005 10:28:09 AM »

TabaRhodes: I was thinking about the same thing awhile ago....
I wouldn't think that there would be a problem with the whole 'copying' issue...(As an example: Craftster is not the ONLY craft forum out there but by far, it is the best!) So that may leave the "new" sampler as not the best one, but following close behind because we dont want to over-run Marie...
There could be the same contributers (so then they would get the maximum exposure that is offered to them) And there would be contributors that are not on The Sampler...Just so that things are a bit different...
Crafts are crafts and samplering them is a great way to show them off and if there are more samplers then the better for the DIY Crafters!!!
I think its a good idea...but yes, there would be some problems...but we learn for our mistakes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
mariethebee
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005 01:49:00 PM »

TabaRhodes

I'm certainly sorry that you haven't been able to land a subscription just yet. I know it's very frustrating for many people, but, as Jadey points out, Contributing is always an option and is highly encouraged.

I do promise, however, that I work extremely hard on the Sampler (7 days a week with at least two hours of answering emails each day) and am trying very hard to be able to allow for more subscribers. This month, for instance, we had roughly 90 contributors and for the April Sampler there will be 4060 total samples to be split among roughly 300 subscribers/contributors. I'm trying to balance the number of samples with the number of subscribers... I would like for everyone to receive at least 12 items each month.

How do I think it would be received? It would pretty much really super hurt my feelings. I mean, I really do understand your frustration, but I Swear I'm working on it! Swear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005 06:33:33 PM »

I dont want to offend or argue here but, Marie what you are trying to say is that your feelings would be 'super hurt' if there was another Sampler-ish site???
I dont get it...If I was in your position I'd be thrilled if I heard people were inspired by the whole concept of the site, I wouldn't be p'od any bit...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
MellifluousCouture
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005 10:06:44 AM »

I just don't really get the point of starting another sampler-ish site, this being said as a contributor.  If you guys want a subscription that bad wouldn't it just be easier to make 25 samples for The Sampler, get your subscription and give the Sampler more stuff for more subscriptions.  I made 25 samples my first month & it was a cinch and the sampler I got in return rocked.  Marie spends so much time to make the sampler so cool do you really think you can and/or want to dedicate that much time for something that's just copying someone elses idea?

Darkest Faerie, I don't think that contributors would contribute to both.  It takes time out of my normal business to make samples each month, I do them for the Sampler because it rocks and Marie is so dedicated I know its a great investment for me.  I try not to double my advertising so why would I spend a bunch of time each month to advertise to essentially the same people?  I also love Marie and would not want to do something that so obviously is a conflict of interests.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mariethebee
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005 12:01:57 PM »

I certainly didn't say I would be pissed off! I was answering honestly about how I would feel should such a thing happen. I'm sorry if that answer wasn't in line with your own feelings, but it is still my honest and most immediate response. Feelings are tricky!

I think, perhaps, you are approaching this from a very different point of view. Though the Sampler is a great promotional project and community, it is also something that I have devoted the majority of my waking hours to and have worked very very hard to create... just as many other people might create works of art or craft or even mechanical devices. Unfortunately, I am neither artistically talented nor mechanically minded, so the thing that I came up with was the Sampler! Just as an artist, writer or inventor creates something that he or she feels to be new and special, so do I feel about this project. And, just as an artist, writer or inventor may feel some degree of ownership over something he or she created, so do I feel about the Sampler.

It's my impression that inspiration is something very different than simply creating a reiteration of an already existing idea. Inspiration, I would think, would mean seeing or experiencing something then going out and creating something New as a consequence. Creating the Same thing doesn't really seem like inspiration. I think that's why there are laws and such regarding copyrights, patents, trademarks and the like. Apparently, for the last 10 years, patents have also been applicable to modes and manners of doing business (particularly web-based forms of business like the Sampler), such is the power and province of ideas.

There are other ways in which the Sampler might actually inspire a person to create, without their creating another Sampler. I know that many many people have begun creating contributions for the Sampler in order to receive subscriptions -- writing zines and crafting. People have also been so supportive in coming up with ideas to promote and support the Sampler and each other. Also, there are all sorts of Different promotional and informational projects that work to the same end as the Sampler -- I Buy DIY, Craftrevolution.com, tons of different crafty blogs and message boards and many other fun things! There are certainly tons of ways of promoting and supporting independent and crafty businesses without having to infringe upon another person's ideas or feelings, whatever they may be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005 12:38:49 PM »

Well said, marie.  i would worry that another sampler type site would have a hard time competing anyways since marie spends sa lot of time and money to promote the sampler and the diy community.  Plus, like marie said,artists wouldnt probably contribute to both without the quality of the samples suffering, which wouldjsut hurt both sites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Ways To Update Your Skin Regimen For The Fall
Best Drugstore Beauty Products
Want Full Lips? This Bizarre Artist Has the Secret (No Filler Needed!)
Halloween Upgrade: A Stellar Take on Fairy Makeup
Michelle Obama Makeup Showdown
Latest Blog Articles
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...