A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to get fabric??  (Read 590 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kinzerk
« on: April 14, 2009 08:28:32 PM »

I am posting this in kids only cause I only sew for kids! I am curious to how people obtain full bolts of fabric, especially designer fabrics? I plan on selling stuff at craft shows coming up in the fall and need to make lots of items and want to be able to make things in different sizes of the same materials. How/where do people buy fabric by the bolt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sobella
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009 10:07:33 PM »

I live in Canada, close to a distributor for fabric manufacturers such as Michael Miller, Alexander Henry, Moda, etc.  so I go to their warehouse and pick what I want and take it with me, or I can order bolts from them and have them shipped to me. 

Do you have a business license/tax id #?  You can probably just set up an account with the distributor for the country that you live in and they will ship to you.  On the fabric manufacturer's website (eg- Michael Miller), you can look up who their distributor is & contact them.  They are usually very helpful.

I also belong to a yahoo group that buys fabric by the bolt and we split the bolts amongst each other so we aren't committed to having, say, 15 yards of the same fabric, unless that's what you want.  Let me know and I can send you the link.

Either way, it is MUCH cheaper to buy by the bolt, for example, fabric at the retail store near me sells fabrics for $15.95/meter, while I can get it for between $4.95 and $7.50/meter (this is CDN $ so would be even cheaper for US).

HTH,
Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kinzerk
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009 05:36:18 AM »

Hi! Thank you for the information. I don't have a business license/tax ID. I don't need to have one to sell do I? Do  I need one in order to buy from distributors?

I would love the link to your yahoo group if you don't mind though! That sounds great.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009 05:45:03 AM »

Hi! Thank you for the information. I don't have a business license/tax ID. I don't need to have one to sell do I? Do  I need one in order to buy from distributors?

I would love the link to your yahoo group if you don't mind though! That sounds great.

Thanks!

check your  state laws!  the Tax ID is different per state.  and also where you sell matters I think. (in Georgia it does)
also a tax ID is good to have  just because you can get some discounts that way. (somethings even at walmart)

Ebay  has bolts of fabric available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Kinzerk
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009 11:33:08 AM »

Thank you I will definately be looking into it. I had sold at craft fairs with my sister before and she never had a business ID so I never realized it may be a requirement. I appreciate your help! If anything the discounts will be helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JenniesBlok
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009 12:58:02 PM »

I am in Georgia too and am awaiting on my tax ID. Do you possibly know where there is a list of what we get discounts on? Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make a Calla Lily Arm Bouquet
How to do music jam tracks
Rap Manual: Lesson 6
Rap Manual: Lesson 5
Rap Manual: Lesson 2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...