A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tree of Pearls Polydiary  (Read 3468 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

justclayingaround
sugar, spice and everything nice...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009 04:14:54 AM »

this is AWESOME...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps...PM me...
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009 09:57:48 AM »

Very pretty!! 

I baked the pearls into the clay, except for three of them which weren't embedded deep enough and had to be re-glued after baking.

If you want, next time you could use a dot of liquid polymer clay under each pearl or line of pearls so they'll stay on quite well after baking.
Glad these didn't change color when heated... a few types of fake pearls will.

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
BrittniKayne
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009 10:57:44 AM »

Thanks everyone for all of the amazing compliments!  Grin

Diane - I know I COULD have used TLS but I was lazy, and there were lots and lots of pearls...haha  Wink   I have baked these particular ones before, so I knew they wouldn't change color. I've had faux pearls do that on me before though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The crisp pages of a book of classic literature-the warmth of a bright sunny day-the aroma of coffee brewing in the morning-the security of a lover's hand-the nuzzling of a purring kitty cat - These are the things that I love. These are the things that inspire me. http://www.brittnikayne.etsy.com
sthrnsweetie
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009 03:01:52 PM »

This is absolutely gorgeous, but I must ask - it is useful? Or is it the sort of pretty book that sits on a table for everyone to admire?
(Edit: sorry if that sounded rude, I didn't mean it like that!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
-Rowena Ravenclaw
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009 03:19:51 PM »

That is such a great idea!  I love your interpretation of the tree theme  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HorrorVeng
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009 06:09:36 PM »

thats so pretty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thorn
Bewaaare, the grooove...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009 07:07:46 PM »

I just finished an analysis of the play Antigone yesterday!  That being said, I absolutely love your idea of using polymer clay on journals, and your accomplishment is breathtaking! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.'"
BrittniKayne
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009 10:40:35 PM »

This is absolutely gorgeous, but I must ask - it is useful? Or is it the sort of pretty book that sits on a table for everyone to admire?
(Edit: sorry if that sounded rude, I didn't mean it like that!)

No worries, I know exactly what you mean. It could be useful...it works and all lol. It would depend on whether or not the user had inhibitions about the "prettiness" of it. Personally, I could probably never write in it because I would end up making mistakes, having to rip out pages, etc... However, there are a lot of people who journal who don't care about the mistakes they make because a journal is supposed to be a place to keep your innermost thoughts. So in that sense, the aesthetic quality would be meant especially for the person who used it, because someone who journals doesn't want it left out on a table for everyone to admire - they want a special place to keep their private thoughts.

I would like a way to incorporate this sort of thing into a more useful creation, though, if anyone has any ideas. Maybe a photo album/wedding keepsake, as someone mentioned earlier? It would take a lot of clay, but it might be worth it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The crisp pages of a book of classic literature-the warmth of a bright sunny day-the aroma of coffee brewing in the morning-the security of a lover's hand-the nuzzling of a purring kitty cat - These are the things that I love. These are the things that inspire me. http://www.brittnikayne.etsy.com
Cealy
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009 04:41:03 AM »

Very Beautiful!
I was thinking as soon as I saw it, guest book for a wedding, but if it is that tiny, what about a book for guests to write their thoughts and best wishes for the new couple in?
They are so beautiful people will find a use for them for practically anything!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009 07:53:36 AM »

I would like a way to incorporate this sort of thing into a more useful creation, though,

How about the "covering" the top of a box lid of any kind (wood, cardboard, metal, etc.), or the side of a container of any kind (glass, metal, ceramic, papier mache, etc, even a plant pot--could be made curved too if nec.), xmas ornament, clock face (with added hands/works), decorative tile on a mini easel or actually in the wall, mounted on a wood base/etc then hung on the wall, small versions as pendants, etc, etc.?  Could be loads of things!

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Kate Moss Makeup Look
Fall Skin Beauty Routine Swaps
Skull Mask Makeup Tutorial - Part 1
Want a Gaze Like Scarlett Johansson? You Need These Mascaras
How to Perform a Facial at Home
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...