A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer dress  (Read 3220 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft_princess

Im a dreamer...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009 02:50:30 PM »

I really like your dress, but that last photo... I LOVE IT!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that I need a bleach pen and mod podge... now it's only left to find that stuff in Spain, what seems to be impossible Sad
cgaker
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009 09:22:10 PM »

Love it!!! Looks great, great colours, style, everything... and so impressed you did it without a pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerri_Da
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009 05:30:49 AM »

I love it. It looks awsome. now  can you tell me how you made it without a pattern?  my mother has been trying to teach m pattern making for 20 years.. I made a pattern for a few different skirts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009 06:38:35 AM »

That is a great dress, I wish I one percent of your talent, I can do a whipstitch, but it looks like Frankensteins stitches. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RyBreadsRockinOut
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009 12:14:09 PM »

thats really cute! i think it flatters you really well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girly_fish
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009 03:15:14 PM »

Cheesy  I can't decide who is cuter, you or the photogenic 3 year old.
You look beautiful in your fabulous new summer dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009 06:50:23 AM »

I love it. It looks awsome. now  can you tell me how you made it without a pattern?  my mother has been trying to teach m pattern making for 20 years.. I made a pattern for a few different skirts...

ok, mini-tute.

first I measured across from the middle of my cleavage to the outer side of my bra's underwire. I did it on my slightly larger boob, everyone has one lol!
I then cut a square of fabric which measured corner to corner the same as the boob measurement.
I pinned it in a diamond shape to an old t shirt, pinning at just the top corner point and gathered under my boob.
I pinned the gathers too.
I then removed it so I could neaten up the gathers with pins, then sewed them in place.
I did this for both boobs.
I then pinned them again to the shirt, in the same way, overlapped them and pinned again. I removed it, and ran a line of machine basting over them to hold them.
then I trimmed them up, sewed the under-boob line properly, then laid them out on a piece of self-colour fabric, all face up. I then cut the fabric as best I could in a curvy way, but with a point at the middle. I folded it in half to do this, and it was a very genthe curve. then I topstitches this on to the boobs. I then cut another version of this shape out of the contrasting fabric, leaving very long tails which can be tied. eave this to one side, don't sew it on yet!!!
once this was done, I took some side panels, again of self colour fabric and extended it so it went right around my back, but the line at the top came above most of my bra, and the line at the bottom matched on each side. (maybe I should do pics to explain this a bit better?!)
I also wanted a shirre panel at the back but found out i'd run out of shirring elastic, so I made a kind of mini-roman-blind type thing. (http://tinyurl.com/ccnoj3) only instead of using bamboo canes in the pleats, I used cheap 1/2" elastic.
anyways, once I had fitted this all to my body (inside out, then pinned, removed, sewn and turned right side out) I trimmed it all and made it look presentable.
I then made the skirt, this was my waist measurement +1/2 for the first tier. it was cut, then gathered and I left this on the floor as I cut the next tier.
the next tier was the length of the first, +1/2. again, this was gathered, but it was then sewn on to the first tier. it's a basic gypsy/hippy type skirt thing.
i then did another tier, yes again the length of tier 2 + 1/2 then gathered and sewn.

Then I worked out the mid-point, pinned this directly below the mid-point of the bodice and sewed them together. Then I added that bit of contrasting fabric I told you to lave to one side, again topstitching it on.

then I hemmed and finished it all. hope that makes sense, or at least give you a jumping-board!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkatari
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009 08:29:32 PM »

It looks gorgeous on you and the fabric is AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Insert Witty Signature <HERE>
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Personalizing the Holiday Dinner Table
How to Decorate Outdoors for the Holidays
Creative Ways to Display Holiday Cards
How to Make a No-Sew Stocking
How to Make a Candy Wreath
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...