A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Easter Dresses That Almost Weren't (pic heavy)  (Read 857 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2009 05:21:08 PM »

I am a terrible procrastinator.  I was actually crazy enough to start making Easter dresses for my two girls last week.  I had the materials, but no patterns, so I decided to make the patterns too.  I've made patterns for myself, but I haven't done anything more than simple elastic waist pants for my girls. 

I tried to draft the patterns from scratch using instructions I found online, but they ended up not working out.  So, I posted on the questions board, and another craftster, Cheyenneswthrt07, suggested tracing some of my girls' existing clothing.  Thank you so much for that suggestion!  I did exactly that, and didn't use the other directions at all.  I am really happy with how the dresses turned out.  My oldest daughter wasn't even at home for me to try it on her, and it fit great.  The dress for my youngest didn't fit as well as I had wanted, especially in the chest, but since I finished it on Saturday, it had to make do.

The best part, they were both made with a thrifted bed sheet and pillow case.  It only cost about $2.50 for both, and I have material left over.  The lining is from a white bed sheet, but it was one I don't use anymore, and therefore didn't cost anything.  I cheated on the hems.  I used the hem on the sheet for the dress hem.  I was up till 4 am Friday night working on the first dress, though, so I was willing to take any shortcut at that point!

Here's my oldest daughter (who, you might notice, decided at her aunts house to get a fake tattoo the day before Easter Smiley )

I used vintage buttons from my stash for the back closure.  It is the first time I used the automatic button hole on my new machine, and I will definitely be using it more now that I know how much easier it is.

This one is basically the same front and back.  There are two buttons on her right shoulder to get it on and off, but she wouldn't let me get a pic of them.  They're the same buttons as on the first dress.

A few more just for fun!

I got a little carried away with the pics, but I had a lot of fun taking them and wanted to show them off.  I know this was pretty long, so thanks for looking.  Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coldweatherknitter
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009 05:47:00 PM »

These little dresses are so darn cute . . . what a great idea to use a bedsheet and pillow case! Pretty and clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009 07:45:20 PM »

Thanks!  As soon as I saw the sheet at Goodwill I knew it had to be a dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellesangel
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009 04:24:30 AM »

very sweet dresses and I enjoyed all the pics Smiley thanks for sharing with us

(and i am no inspired to try make a little bubbly basket like those they're carrying! my daughter has an obsession with bags and baskets but i like that these would squish flat Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandal43
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009 05:41:01 AM »

Precious girls and dresses!!!  Loved all the pictures!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009 05:59:14 PM »

Thanks for the comments!  Those baskets are wonderful.  I love that they flatten so I can actually save them for next year without taking up too much space.  Plus, they were only about $1-2 at Walmart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Do You Get Sexy Feet?
How to Make a Personal Perfume
4 Crazy Reasons You Get Wrinkles
9 Beauty Hacks That Will Change Your Life
Our Favorite Summer Foundations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...