A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Corset  (Read 1701 times)
Tags for this thread: pirate , corset  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hadassah
« on: April 13, 2009 04:30:41 PM »

Because I wanted a full "pirate/gypsy girl" costume, I made a corset which is fully reversible! It's sky blue on one side and a deeper, royal blue on the other. I had a pirate photo shoot today, but let's just say today was one of those "bad photo days".

(Don't mind the flipped up edge, I was falling off the log at the time and wasn't quite ready for the photo... As I said, bad photo day... Tongue Seems like I couldn't get very good shots of the darker blue side... Agghhhhh!!! Oh wait, "Arrrgghhh!!!")

And that's it! It took me QUITE a while to do that corset and I'm very proud. Although it's full of mistakes as it is my first corset. I'm sure I'll get better the more I do.

There are more pictures on my Blog if you feel interested and want to read a cheesy poem to go along with it... my blog
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jambles

Born and Livin' in the land of OZ!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009 05:58:46 PM »

You have done a brilliant job and I love that its reversible! Look forward to seeing more of your stuff Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009 06:11:29 PM »

Very cool. I especially like the light blue side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
Hadassah
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009 06:21:01 PM »

Thank you both so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ManifestContent
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009 07:10:52 PM »

That is a really nice corset!  I wish mine turned out that nice.  What kind of boning did you use?

The shirt you're wearing I'm super curious about though.  I need one just like that for a LARP costume.  Did you make it?  Is there a pattern online somewhere for it?  a tutorial?

Sorry for asking so many questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps - Just send me a message

My Wists!

"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing"      -Dali
Hadassah
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009 08:01:41 PM »

Hi! I don't mind questions at all! Love them, actually. Smiley First off, thank you!

I used some plastic mesh that I got at Hobby Lobby a while back and had left over. People usually use it for the bottom of purses to make them stiff. It worked well! But I hear you can also use plastic jugs cut up for boning as well. I also used Roethke's tutorial. It can be found here on Craftster somewhere...

The shirt, I actually made from a Chemise pattern found here. It was REALLY SUPER simple. I would recommend it to anyone! To make the sleeves all bunched at the end, I just used a couple of hair ties around my wrists (make the sleeves a little extra long so that they can "balloon over" the hair ties. I also made it a little too long so I could adjust the lengths. I usually just fold the extra length under the shirt because I wear it with a corset or a big black belt. Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnight

I live where hens catch mice and cats lay eggs

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009 11:32:07 AM »

you look so cute! and what a great idea, I like both sides. how does it fasten, is it a busk or hooks?

my favourite boning is cable ties! they work great and are nice an easy to cut, but they work better if you double them up.

the only thing you need now is a big pirate pistol Cheesy hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnight_Satyne

Waxing Lyrical and Tripping the Light Fantastic
rufous03

feeling dancey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009 02:16:22 PM »

i love your costume!  good job on the corset.  i'm finishing up my pirate coat, we should do a pirate photo shoot when i come home in a couple weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hadassah
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009 07:39:41 AM »

you look so cute! and what a great idea, I like both sides. how does it fasten, is it a busk or hooks?

my favourite boning is cable ties! they work great and are nice an easy to cut, but they work better if you double them up.

the only thing you need now is a big pirate pistol Cheesy hehe

In the front, it fastens with hooks and eyes, and in the back, it fastens the traditional lace up way. The only thing is, I used eyelets instead of grommets, so I don't know how well it'll stay up, but I'm not planning to lace it real tight anyway. In fact, I think it's a little bit big! (oops) But yes, I love both sides too. Thank you for the lovely comment! Yes, I'm still working on getting my hands on a big pirate pistol... Cheesy

i love your costume!  good job on the corset.  i'm finishing up my pirate coat, we should do a pirate photo shoot when i come home in a couple weeks.
That sounds like fun! We should get our resident curly haired friend to come model with us too! Smiley I would only suggest waiting til the sun goes down a bit though, because it was hard to get pictures of my costume and have the background not take away from the costume itself. Or we could try using a big piece of black fabric for the background, I've never tried that, but all the pros do! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ManifestContent
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009 08:29:26 PM »

thank you thank you thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps - Just send me a message

My Wists!

"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing"      -Dali
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Skirts with Boots
Redbook’s Red Hot Holiday Gift Ideas
Holiday Looks to Make the Season Bright
Lili Göksenin Models Jeans of the Week
Mixing and Matching Vintage Items
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...