A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PURSES, TOTES, BAGS: OHMy first post and I'm starting with a VERY BIG PIC CHORE!  (Read 817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karizmatic
« on: April 14, 2009 01:40:07 AM »

Hi, All - After figuring out the picture posting thing, I am finally going to put my first post in (sorry for the bombardment)... Short prelude: So, I bought a sewing machine a few years back intending to learn how to make my own clothes (I'm a bit overly curvy in some places and I wanted some clothes that fit me properly). After about 2 failed attempts, I decided that I'd really only be good with upholstery a while. So, that I did. I recovered one of my Ikea couches, made my mom a custom settee cushion with removable cover (for washing, which never happens).

Recently (OK, a year ago), I moved and when I whipped the machine back out, I discovered that it was not working quite right - took it to the shop and guy said it would cost me US$200 to fix it. So, I went out and bought a new one for $170... it was a great excuse to get a new one, really. In the same week, I found an ad for some free fabric. I thought I was going to end up with a handful of fabric; I actually ended up with almost a trunk full of remnant upholstery pieces, which I immediately distributed amongst craftie friendies, mommy included. I also took this to be a sign to start sewing...

I'm still a little scared to go back to trying clothes, so I am doing some purses in the meantime (most of the material is from that stash I acquires).

MY FIRST PURSE:
I was actually trying to follow this pattern
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=125025.0, but got so excited about my sewingness that I forgot to turn the fabric at one point and ended up with a different shape when fastened. I also, at the time, wasn't ready to try a purse with tucked corners, so you'll see a side view with them hanging out. I actually really like this purse and ended up giving it to a friend for her birthday (when I saw those colors, I thought of her so I thought I should):

2ND ONE:
Then, i wanted to try it again using some denim I got and this time making the handles separately, trying some curves (with the heartshape) and tucking the corners out to give it a "bottom" (by the way - the heart is also a pocket):

3rd:
So, I wanted to take that circle idea all the way, so I took one of our bowls to make a pattern for this one (the opening for the purse and the base for the handle/opening:

no 4:
I'm really excited about this one - I doubled up the red fabric to make the outside heart pocket and added a smaller heart applique on the other side of the purse - I also tucked the corners inward this time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.karizmatic.com
nerd. serial hobbyist. militant friendly.
crendon
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009 06:18:39 AM »

the last one is really cute...I like the side with the applique only, it's so cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009 06:51:54 AM »

great shapes, esp the round one, and the first one that made me curious in the thumbnail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
For a Winter Weeknight: Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
How to Make The Fluffiest Pancakes
What Does Dallas Taste Like?
How to Make Gourmet Burger with Fried Fennel and Lemon Aioli Sauce
Homemade Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...