A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Five finished objects!  (Read 4525 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori , tie_dye  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lizthecraftybitch
« on: April 12, 2009 02:00:13 PM »

Allright, I haven't posted any of my sewing projects in a while, so here are five of them all at once! i just bought a brand new machine (my first NEW one ever!!!), so i have been sewing constantly.

this first dress i made using the tutorial from pink hickey (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=252249.0). I frickin love it. it's the second dress i've made from her lovely tutorial, and i wear it all the time.

close-up of the fabric:

this is a skirt i made from some sparkly one-dollar fabric from walmart. It's a high-waisted skirt, and i used interfacing in the waistband. it has no zipper, but i can pull it over my head just fine. the pictures don't do justice the glorious sparkles. i didn't use a pattern.

This is a dress i made from Vogue pattern V8411. The pattern claimed to be easy, but i found it very confusing, so i mostly just winged it. I think it came out looking a lot like it was supposed to, except i didn't hem the bottom. i made it with a really light weight jersey, and leaving the bottom raw just seemed to suit it better. also this picture makes the color look weird, it's a little more teal in real life, and less electric-blue.

This is a dress i actually made five years ago, when i was 18. I had been living in Ghana for several months, where  I learned how to sew from a seamstress in the village where i was living. I had been able to use a sewing machine, but she taught me everything important about sewing, such as how to make darts and shape the waist of a dress and draft my own patterns. So i bought this fabric and when i came back to the US i whipped up this dress in one day. i love it, but it's hard to find the right time to wear tie-dye.

This dress i made using the New Look pattern 6557. it's a great pattern. the fabric i used was really heavy, i'm not sure what it was intended for, but probably not summery dresses. it's a really bright yellow, the first picture is the most true to color. I lined it in bright green and embroidered green sea creatures on it. i intend to add some more, maybe some seaweed, and cut holes in the yellow fabric for bubbles. and yes, the octopus only has seven arms. he lost one in a fight with a seamonster.

thanks for looking! any comments are always appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monna0000
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009 02:19:28 PM »

Just love them all and congrats on your new machine. I feel inspired to pull out my own sewing maschine, but since the rest of the family allready went to bed i might have to wait until tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009 03:58:23 PM »

I love the last one! You did a great job on the embrodery too. I really like the first ones fabric too. Thanks for posting the tute link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009 04:00:47 PM »

They are all lovely, and remember... ANY time is the right time to wear tiedye Smiley LoL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
Shtinky Puddin

Juleigh, over user of exclamation points

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009 05:47:37 PM »

all five are great, but the last one is gorgeous! I am not a huge fan of yellow, but with the aqua embroidery it's totally amazing. The seven-o-pus is so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009 08:01:15 PM »

those are great , i especially like the sparkly haring bone , and the octopus dress !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

natashafialkov
dame da luxe

boom chuggaluggalugga

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009 08:50:42 PM »

i love em all! the last one is sooooooo gorgeous! i might need to pick up the pattern and see if i can get someone to make it for me. my sewing skills are all by hand. i fear my poor sewing machine for whatever reason.

and the tie dye-ish dress...i think that with a plain cardigan, even a cropped one, it would tone it down enough to be fine. even without, i think it is really cute.

you were really lucky to learn to sew from someone that clearly was a great teacher! go you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luxe. providing gorgeous luxury and unusual fiber, yarns, knits, knitting kits and so much more to the deluxe knitter!
take a look!
http://luxefibre.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30852523@N00/
horrormaedchen
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009 01:22:50 AM »

Very beautiful. My favorite ones are the first dress and the yellow octopus one. I just love little dresses. I just checked the tute for the first one and might have a go at it. I like the colour combination and the pattern of the first one. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizthecraftybitch
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009 12:39:26 PM »

i love em all! the last one is sooooooo gorgeous! i might need to pick up the pattern and see if i can get someone to make it for me. my sewing skills are all by hand. i fear my poor sewing machine for whatever reason.

don't fear your machine! this pattern was so easy and straightforward, that i think it would be an excellent project for someone not totally comfortable with a sewing machine. just have someone on hand who can answer questions like "what do they mean by selvedge edge?". i call my mother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009 02:38:12 PM »

I LOVE the yellow one.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Attention Deficit Crafter.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Natural Hair Braider Files Lawsuit Over Barber Laws
Different Ways To Style Wet Hair
DIY Creaseless Hair Ties
How to Get Runway-Inspired Textured Waves
Tyra Banks Suing Wig Companies For $10M
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...