A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: black waxy jeans  (Read 2128 times)
Tags for this thread: jeans , pants , stretch , denim  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 26, 2011 10:35:08 AM »

Would you call these pants jeans? The fabric is rather denimy, but I havenít owned a pair of jeans since 2008 and it feels strange to start up again! I decided to make these pants in anticipation of the arrival of new boots. In one week my wardrobe grew about 10%. Unfortunately I havenít been able to wear my new boots since the day I got them, but on the bright side itís been 75ļ and sunny in LA!

This fabric is so cool! The back side of the fabric is a weave of black and gray threads that looks awesome and is soft. The front side of the fabric is jet black and has a waxy coating with a sheen. Iím reminded of painted pants I saw in Europe of couple years ago, complete with tags warning against sitting on white sofas. In fact these pants do turn my legs black and have just about ruined my bike seat.

I recently realized that with all the effort and skill I put into my clothes I want strangers to remember them, which is why I did all the stitching on the back pockets. I generally prefer to do my decorative stitching by hand and only use the basic stitches on my machine, but this design was a whim and Iím glad I went for it.

It seems rather ridiculous to me that these pockets took over an hour to make. I thought the asymmetrical shield shape would be interesting and (hopefully) flattering. The curved stitching line was also in the goal of some booty contouring. Iíll be the first to tell you that Iíve got a nice tush, and sometimes I get preoccupied with making it look even better. Success?

Between the color, the fit, and the shine, these pants have a hard edge, but I think the contrast fabric and the decorative stitching all over softens the look and makes them more my own style. Iíve had black pants in my wardrobe a few times but theyíve never managed to stick around for more than a few wearings. I think this time I will actually keep these not-so-basic black pants!

And how about these new boots? Theyíre local and vegan and comfortableĖafter I did a bit of tailoring in the leg!

I blogged about it on my website
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 01:11:40 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

silk81
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011 11:05:04 AM »

I love the pockets and the stitching! great work!

I have no idea if they count as jeans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish my lipstick was a little more ... HALLUCINOGENIC!

Join the Boy Clothes Sewalong
Antidigger
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011 11:48:10 AM »

I too love the pockets, it's clear how much work/love went into them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
thecuteoctopus

A Gentleman's personal Gentleman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011 11:48:43 AM »

These jeans are the bomb! It's incredible to see all the details you put in. Thanks for sharing! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pandamayhem
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011 06:00:38 PM »

I thought the stitching on the back pockets were a print, amazing! I always love doing something special on my back pockets Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop: A Strawberry Inside Cheesy
purefairydust
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011 07:19:43 PM »

I love the decorative stitching on the pockets and the side. Making the pockets lile this makes it a wearable sampler and yes it does look like a printed material from a distance. All of the work you have done on these jeans shows that you are a talented sewer. I love the look of a decorative stitches used in unusual places on clothing because it turns clothing in peices of art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams Give Us Two Takes on the LBD
Jessica Stam Talks About Her Summer Style at the Coach Party
3 Cool Ways to Wear Printed Floral Jeans
Top 5 Swimsuit Trends for Summer 2012
Fashion Ideas for Wedding Guests
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...