A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Five finished objects!  (Read 4345 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori , tie_dye  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lizthecraftybitch
« on: April 12, 2009 02:00:13 PM »

Allright, I haven't posted any of my sewing projects in a while, so here are five of them all at once! i just bought a brand new machine (my first NEW one ever!!!), so i have been sewing constantly.

this first dress i made using the tutorial from pink hickey (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=252249.0). I frickin love it. it's the second dress i've made from her lovely tutorial, and i wear it all the time.

close-up of the fabric:

this is a skirt i made from some sparkly one-dollar fabric from walmart. It's a high-waisted skirt, and i used interfacing in the waistband. it has no zipper, but i can pull it over my head just fine. the pictures don't do justice the glorious sparkles. i didn't use a pattern.

This is a dress i made from Vogue pattern V8411. The pattern claimed to be easy, but i found it very confusing, so i mostly just winged it. I think it came out looking a lot like it was supposed to, except i didn't hem the bottom. i made it with a really light weight jersey, and leaving the bottom raw just seemed to suit it better. also this picture makes the color look weird, it's a little more teal in real life, and less electric-blue.

This is a dress i actually made five years ago, when i was 18. I had been living in Ghana for several months, where  I learned how to sew from a seamstress in the village where i was living. I had been able to use a sewing machine, but she taught me everything important about sewing, such as how to make darts and shape the waist of a dress and draft my own patterns. So i bought this fabric and when i came back to the US i whipped up this dress in one day. i love it, but it's hard to find the right time to wear tie-dye.

This dress i made using the New Look pattern 6557. it's a great pattern. the fabric i used was really heavy, i'm not sure what it was intended for, but probably not summery dresses. it's a really bright yellow, the first picture is the most true to color. I lined it in bright green and embroidered green sea creatures on it. i intend to add some more, maybe some seaweed, and cut holes in the yellow fabric for bubbles. and yes, the octopus only has seven arms. he lost one in a fight with a seamonster.

thanks for looking! any comments are always appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monna0000
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009 02:19:28 PM »

Just love them all and congrats on your new machine. I feel inspired to pull out my own sewing maschine, but since the rest of the family allready went to bed i might have to wait until tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009 03:58:23 PM »

I love the last one! You did a great job on the embrodery too. I really like the first ones fabric too. Thanks for posting the tute link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009 04:00:47 PM »

They are all lovely, and remember... ANY time is the right time to wear tiedye Smiley LoL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
Shtinky Puddin

Juleigh, over user of exclamation points

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009 05:47:37 PM »

all five are great, but the last one is gorgeous! I am not a huge fan of yellow, but with the aqua embroidery it's totally amazing. The seven-o-pus is so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009 08:01:15 PM »

those are great , i especially like the sparkly haring bone , and the octopus dress !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

natashafialkov
dame da luxe

boom chuggaluggalugga

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009 08:50:42 PM »

i love em all! the last one is sooooooo gorgeous! i might need to pick up the pattern and see if i can get someone to make it for me. my sewing skills are all by hand. i fear my poor sewing machine for whatever reason.

and the tie dye-ish dress...i think that with a plain cardigan, even a cropped one, it would tone it down enough to be fine. even without, i think it is really cute.

you were really lucky to learn to sew from someone that clearly was a great teacher! go you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luxe. providing gorgeous luxury and unusual fiber, yarns, knits, knitting kits and so much more to the deluxe knitter!
take a look!
http://luxefibre.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30852523@N00/
horrormaedchen
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009 01:22:50 AM »

Very beautiful. My favorite ones are the first dress and the yellow octopus one. I just love little dresses. I just checked the tute for the first one and might have a go at it. I like the colour combination and the pattern of the first one. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizthecraftybitch
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009 12:39:26 PM »

i love em all! the last one is sooooooo gorgeous! i might need to pick up the pattern and see if i can get someone to make it for me. my sewing skills are all by hand. i fear my poor sewing machine for whatever reason.

don't fear your machine! this pattern was so easy and straightforward, that i think it would be an excellent project for someone not totally comfortable with a sewing machine. just have someone on hand who can answer questions like "what do they mean by selvedge edge?". i call my mother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009 02:38:12 PM »

I LOVE the yellow one.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Attention Deficit Crafter.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw With Ink
How to Draw Shoes
How to Draw Shadows
How to Draw Horses
How to Draw Hearts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...