A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterick 4790 - My own Nurse-away **Now with my first 'tute**  (Read 9604 times)
Tags for this thread: butterick_4790 , nursing , breastfeeding , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kid_md
Sew Busy

Longing for more time - to SEW!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2009 07:48:51 AM »

I have wanted to make myself a Whirl-away dress since I first saw it here on Craftster, but I was pregnant then, and now I'm nursing (8 months, with many more still to go), so the bodice just wasn't at all practical for me.  I'd have had to completely disrobe to nurse, which is generally frowned on in public.  Still, I wanted a Whirl-away, so I decided to try reconstructing the bodice to include some nursing openings.  And, well, here it is.

I decided that a wrap style top would be functional, and not tax my ingenuity too much.  Here are the openings.  Since there isn't any stretch to just pull aside the wrap, there are snaps hidden beneath the wraparound panel.

Action shots (although I'll spare you the one of me nursing - suffice it to say, it works great!)

As you can see, the fit isn't perfect, but I can fix that next time!  I will definitely be making this again!  It is comfy, cute and very functional!
Last, a Donna Reed shot of me in the kitchen.  Homemade mashed potatoes, anyone?

Constructive critiques very welcome - nay, encouraged!

Now with tutorial - I will add some pics when I make my next one (after I finish the jumper I'm working on for dd)

How-to make your own Nurse-away!

Start out with Butterick 4790 in your size of choice.  We mostly follow the pattern, so where there is no difference from printed instructions, I'll just say so. 

First, make your new bodice pattern piece.  You start with pattern piece 1.  Since you are turning it into two separate pieces, you first remove the bottom half.  Use the waist marking as your dividing line and don't forget to add a 5/8 inch seam allowance above the waist marking.  Now for the top half, draw a line at a slightly less than 45 degree angle down from the shoulder seam along the neckline and across center front to connect with the waist line, again adding 5/8 inch seam allowance at the bottom.  You should end up with two pieces like this.

Cut the rectangle (your front underskirt) on the fold as per the pattern.  Be sure to mark the darts as they appear on the pattern piece for both top and bottom.  We'll be needing those!  Cut two of the upper piece.  These are the front wrap pieces.  Cut the other two pattern pieces (the back pieces) as per pattern instructions.

Start out by stitching in your darts, as per the printed instructions, but obviously you will stitch your two front pieces separately.  Your upper front pieces should each have three darts, one a vertical bust dart and the other two horizontal bust and waist darts.  You should not sew in darts in the tail section past the midline.

Next, sew upper front to upper back (pattern piece 2) at the shoulder seams.

Now, bind the neckline, starting at one point and going around the neck to the other.  If you are going to put in nursing openings, make the points pretty by folding under a bit of the bias tape and slipstitching them closed, just as you will do for the ends of bias tape elsewhere.

If you are not going to be nursing, but just wanted the wrap top, this next bit is easy, just line up the upper front section with the lower front section, matching the darts and pinning the points of the wrap top wherever they fit best on you, then sew the top to the bottom.

For nursing openings, pin the same as above, but only sew from the outer edges in, leaving the points free from the inner set of darts in.  Hem the free edges of the points and the upper edge of the skirt section in a narrow 5/8 inch hem.  Attach your closure of choice (I used snaps, but buttons or a hook and eye would also work) to the points and dress with the top wrapped so that one snap is beneath the dress and the other is above.

Now just follow the pattern as written, skipping steps 7, 12, and 13.  (You've already done them!)

Now that you are done, post your creation on Craftster so we can all admire it!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009 06:19:17 PM by kid_md » THIS ROCKS   Logged

miezimau

Till he comes home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009 08:00:39 AM »

love it and I think it fits you nicely! I have never nursed, both sons were bottle fed, due to lack of milk, but this dress is really cute! I love the color and pattern, too. Great Job! Look better on you than on the Dressform Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009 08:30:32 AM »

Looks good!  Glad it works for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009 08:43:40 AM »

You have managed to make a dress that is incredibly practical and incredibly sexy at the same time.  You definitely have that hot fifties housewife thing going.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetpea001
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009 08:54:43 AM »

This is awesome!  Above and beyond the nursing accessibility, I like the wrap top in and of itself and how it complements the angles and contrasting binding of the wrap skirt!  This is by far better than the original, in my opinion!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thrynity
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009 09:11:44 AM »

I think this might be my favorite version I've seen of this dress AND it's pro-breastfeeding. This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.
indiaeden
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009 10:08:27 AM »

I love this! You look fab! I've had this pattern for a while,but am currently pregnant, so thought I'd be putting off making it for some time yet, but maybe not.

Love Jeanette
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enjoying being Mummy to two girls and two boys.
My crafty blog www.lazyseamstress.blogspot.com
goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009 11:52:50 AM »

Rock on for making the pattern fit breastfeeding. Grin  I'm very interested in the changes you made, I love the modified neckline.  Any hints? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
faerieangelchild
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009 12:27:25 PM »

One: you look adorable and absolutely great after having a baby!

Two: What an amazing dress and a great idea for making it "breast-feeding friendly."

Three: I've always secretly lusted after a dress like that but never got one because... I'm a wimp. But now I'll make one, all thanks to you!! You've changed a person's life today, pat yourself on the back.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Re-Vintaged Jewelry

www.BirdcageBohemia.com

Don't get caged in, fly free...
Superjodes
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009 12:53:02 PM »

I adore this dress!
i'm long past the nursing stage, but still have to make a wrap dress like this, it's beautiful  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Naked Contortionist Models Transformed Into Animals By Body Paint
Art of VIBE: Pete McKee Animates London
Art of VIBE: Michalopoulos Channels New Orleans & Music In His Art
11-Year-Old To Credit For Gorgeous Animated Google Doodle
Art of VIBE: Apex On Being Saved By Street Art
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...