A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crazy quilting - how NOT to "build out"?  (Read 772 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: April 11, 2009 10:30:42 PM »

This ought to be painfully obvious, but I can't seem to figure it out to my satisfaction.

One of these days I'm going to make a crazy quilt. I'm not that into blocks - I prefer the designs that just run all over the entire quilt top, in one big piece of craziness. Sort of like the look of these bags:

Notice that there's really no center or focal point of the patchwork on these. BUT ... as I imagine the piecing it works pretty much like this tutorial explains (scroll down thru pics for full effect):

It seems like this technique would invariably produce a visual center point. And, if you were doing it all over a quilt top, it wouldn't be very long before the "building out" got really obvious and difficult to work with.

Get what I'm asking? The look I'm going for is more like http://newsblaze.com/pix/2008/0824/pix/carol-gable-crazy-quilt.jpg than http://www.wisconsincommonmarket.com/indianheadcarpet/itemphotos/indcpt_crazyquiltrunner_view1.JPG. So what's the secret? Lots of applique?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009 10:31:36 PM by madeupnorth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

the day job: Urban Threads (rockin' machine/hand embroidery designs)
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009 10:56:01 PM »

there is an obvious center in the first one, but i get your desire to avoid it

my suggestion is to build out to a certain point evenly, then start making it VERY uneven, even creating strips that are pieced wonky instead of plain strips

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009 07:27:08 AM »

I teach a class that makes a purse using crazy quilt piecing.  You start with a 5 sided shape.  As you work in a circle and work out from that center, at some point, I switch to piecing 2,3 or even 4 fabrics together to use as a single "strip" down one side.  It looks more organic that way.  Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009 08:05:07 AM »

at some point, I switch to piecing 2,3 or even 4 fabrics together to use as a single "strip" down one side.  It looks more organic that way.  Good luck!

So THAT"S how you do it. I ALWAYS wondered and it drove me NUTS and it has really been keeping me from doing one of my own.

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009 07:37:43 PM »

Yeah I think antique quilts done in that style (all over and not working out from the center) were done with simply a lot of applique.  You sew down as many edges as you can, cover the edges where you can, but in the end you have to applique a lot of edges down.

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009 08:49:47 PM »

Actually, many of the antique crazy quilts had "Y" seam intersections of various angles.  Here's a tutorial for how to piece them:  http://www.ctpubblog.com/2009/03/11/quilting-tips-y-seam-construction/

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About the Sparrow School
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About Surveillance
Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews Talks About Enemies
Adam Grant Shares The Secrets Of Success
Children of the Jacaranda Tree by Sahar Delijani
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...