A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I make a ROUND zippered pouch?  (Read 661 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

notimetowork
« on: April 11, 2009 12:36:22 PM »

I know how to make a rectangular one, but I want to make a round one with that extra bit of fabric at each end (IYKWIM).  I can't find a tutorial - any ideas please?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009 03:11:41 PM »

I know how to make a rectangular one, but I want to make a round one with that extra bit of fabric at each end (IYKWIM).  I can't find a tutorial - any ideas please?  Undecided

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "that extra bit of fabric at each end."  Are you referring to a tab to help with the opening and closing of the zipper? 

Are you referring to a flat pouch or one with some depth?  A better description of what you would like to make would help.

Sewnutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notimetowork
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009 12:38:57 AM »

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear!  Yes, I mean a pouch with some depth, with a zip over the top half and a gusset round the bottom.  I'm not explaining myself very well but I want it to look like a hamburger once it's sewn, with a zip over ther top.
Anne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009 06:59:46 AM »

I'm not going to be much help on the how to but is round coin purse (scoll down towards the bottom of the page) what you are talking about? (Click on the picture for a larger picture.)

I've never made one but I do have one that a friend made for me. She makes 2 mini round quilts. Then binds them just like you would a quilt (only a skinnier binding). Then she sews the zipper on each "mini quilt" - by hand - than continues sewing across the bottom by hand.

Not sure if you were wanting something this small but maybe the pattern would get you started - or - maybe the picture will make it easier for someone to offer advise.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009 07:04:31 AM by elijor » THIS ROCKS   Logged
notimetowork
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009 09:27:39 AM »

Yes, that's what I want to do - although not in patchwork!!!!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009 11:25:54 AM »

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear!  Yes, I mean a pouch with some depth, with a zip over the top half and a gusset round the bottom.  I'm not explaining myself very well but I want it to look like a hamburger once it's sewn, with a zip over ther top.
Anne

OK, that is clearer....Think (but in much smaler scale) a round pillow with a zipper inserted into the gusset. 

Basicly, you need two circles of fabric the size you desire (you can use a can or plate as a template) + 1/2 inch for a seam allowance

A strip of fabric as wide as you want the gusset + 1 inch (1/2 inch seam allowance on both sides) by 1/2 the distance around your circles + 1 inch (1/2 inch seam allowance on both ends) (call this gusset A)

A strip of fabric the width of the gusset + 2 inches (this will provide you with 1/2 inch seam allowances) by 1/2 the distance around your circles + 1 inch (1/2 inch seam allowance on both ends).  Cut this in half _lengthwise_.  This will be for the zipper.  You will also need a zipper at least as long as this strip is long (it can be longer). (call this gusset B)

You will then sew the zipper to the two halves of gusset B by aligning the edge of the zipper to the long edge of one strip (right sides together), stitching close to the zipper teeth, then pressing the strip to the side of the zipper and top stitching in place.  Repeat for the other side.  Close the zipper and tack the ends of the fabric together, making sure the zipper pull is free to open and close the zipper.

Stitch the short ends of gusset A to gusset B, creating a loop.  Stitch this to the circles of fabric (right sides to right sides), trim and clip seam allowance, turn and press.  You now have a cirgular bag with a zipper. 

To line, simply repeat with lining fabric (except you will not be stitching the zipper into place, leave that part open), insert it into your bag, turn the raw edges under and whip stitch the opening to the zipper opening.

If you want to add a strap, stitch it into the seams when you sew the gusset ends together.  You can also add small pull tabs in the same manner.

I hope this is clear enough for you to follow.  If you try it, let me know how it works.  I am flying "blind" as I am writing directions from memory, not as I sew.

Good luck,
SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notimetowork
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009 11:56:02 AM »

Oh thank you so much! I'm going to give this a try!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Real-Time Fashion: Wing It
Real-Time Beauty: Bright Idea
Real-Time Fashion: Berry Good
Real-Time Beauty: Bare Necessities
The Perfect Little Mermaid Costume for Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...