A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,659
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bebe dress in Teen Vogue. Help, please?  (Read 4925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

glossy
« on: April 11, 2009 09:25:33 AM »

I saw this dress in the magazine. The only problem is that I am not sure how I should go about making the skirt, which has so much volume near the waist. Any advice would be appreciated. Smiley

http://www.teenvogue.com/images/style/stsl-05-vamp0903.jpg
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009 05:24:19 PM by glossy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fromsophia
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009 11:30:56 AM »

what I would suggest is to go to a sewing store not Joanns but something independent or more specialized and but a length of plastic corset boning on a roll and make a pocket in the bottom of the skirt and insert the plastic boning into the pocket. I have done something similar in the past and it worked great it held the shape perfectly. Feel free to ask more questions or if you want a drawn out tut
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glossy
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009 05:20:55 PM »

would i be able to sit with the plastic boning in the skirt? and i would love to see a tute, actually. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fromsophia
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009 03:31:09 PM »

I am really busy but I am sure I could come up with one by next week. Yeah its not uncomfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PentacleSeven
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009 07:15:51 AM »

what I would suggest is to go to a sewing store not Joanns but something independent or more specialized and but a length of plastic corset boning on a roll and make a pocket in the bottom of the skirt and insert the plastic boning into the pocket. I have done something similar in the past and it worked great it held the shape perfectly. Feel free to ask more questions or if you want a drawn out tut

The Joanns where I live does sell plastic boning on a roll so, if they are close, check them out. Those 40% off coupons really come in handy. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jagough

Costume Shoporama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009 10:48:02 AM »

The skirt appears to near rectangle gathered at the waist. There's obviously no shaping of the hem because of the lace.I recently did a large quantity of cartridge pleated petticoats and skirt (about 12 dozen each), and we first cut the width of the skirts, them hemmed them flat, and finally cut the waist of the skirt, which is straight lines with a slight curve between them. The idea is to have a slightly longer hem on the back half of your skirt and slightly shorter in front (about a 2" difference) to account for the bum, otherwise we'd end up with a bunch of skirts too short in the back.
There's obviously no shaping of the hem because of the lace. To get the extreme 'pouf' up next to the waist, I'd do both layers of the skirt with cartridge pleats (in fact, I'd probably baste the underskirt and lace together before cartridge pleating so they lay on each other smoothly).
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/cartpleat/ and https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners.php?s=&c=8&d=141&e=&f=&g=&a=143&w=2 have tutorials on cartridge pleating.

The photo of the dress shows a bit of movement around the bottom of the hem, so I'd prefer horsehair braid (available at most fabric stores) to boning. http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/sewinginfo/dfsewinghints/sewing-horsehair.htm has a tutorial on how to use it in a hem.

And for a tiny bit extra pouf, I think a little tulle petticoat. One with two tiers would probably be best, so the top tier is a little less full than the bottom tier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glossy
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009 10:59:31 PM »

jagough, you are incredibly helpful. thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cumin Salad Dressing Recipe
How to Make a Graham Cracker Crust
Hot and Spicy Grill Rub
Montreal Steak Spice Recipe
Cajun Spice Rub Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...