A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anyone know how to frame a mirror?  (Read 9237 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dahlea
« on: February 21, 2004 05:42:38 PM »

My husband and I got this huge mirror (like 5'x3') out of someone's trash as we were yard saling today. The edges are all peeling, so we thought we'd try and put a frame around it and make it like those $100 mirrors at Lowe's. Only problem is, we've never done anything like this and aren't sure how to go about it. We want to use crown molding around the edges. Has anyone done anything like this? Your input is appreciated!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004 07:52:37 AM »

It seems that you could make a little divot on the edge of the crown molding so it will fit over the mirror, while allowing the back to remain flush...   you could put a piece of plywood on the back, glue or staple, and paint the frame as you wish...   I don't know how to make said divot, but I think if you ask someone at Home Depot or whatever, they'll be able to have more insight than I do.

Edit:  Maybe I should have said that you want to make the little divot (and I realize that's not the right word, but I don't know the right word for it) on the BACK of the molding...    but then again, maybe that was understood.   Sorry if I insult your intelligence.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004 07:54:32 AM by cloudbreakchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004 08:00:01 AM »

You would use a router and rout out the edge - I think a dremel might work too, but I wouldn't swear to it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004 09:57:18 AM »

Ok, thanks, that helps. I just didn't know how to get started you know? I think we're waiting til this weekend to try and fix it, but I'll let you know how it goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
speckledpup
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004 10:04:49 PM »

make wood right angle (Diagonal across the back of the mirror) 5 "  triangles that stick out 2" at every corner edge, glue on the back of the miror, and then nail the top crown molding on the edges of the triangles (use a drill so wood doesn't split), use rosettes so you don't have to mitre the edges, your trianges will be glued to the back of the mirror but once the crown molding is in place, it will hold the mirror in place.

Or find a cheap basic frame at Walmart to put the mirror in, and glue your crown molding to that to cover the cheaper frame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeanius - Chioma Nnadi on White Jeans
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Baseball Jacket
Vintage Bowles - Shopping at Didier Ludot in Paris
Jeanius - Selby Drummond on Ripped Jeans
Met Gala - The 2013 Met Gala Red Carpet Livestream
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...