A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Raw Fleece: Picking, Washing & A Question  (Read 5212 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009 09:17:06 PM »

huge box of sheep angora

There are angora rabbits (angora) and angora goats (mohair).  There are no angora sheep!!

Shadeweaver already mentioned the dog brushes (slickers).  They work well, but are so small that it takes a lot more time than regular hand carders.

The better you prepare your fleece when working from raw, the better the experience in spinning.

When I get in a raw fleece, I lay it flat and sometimes skirt it further.  It sounds like your shepherd friend did that for you.  You want to remove all 'tags' (manure ladened fleece by the britchen) and where the hay usually collects on the neck area.  Remove belly and leg fleece.

I'll then sort the fleece.  Either by length, by color, by fineness, by combination of all of the above.

Then I go through the fleece, lock by lock and open the tips.  It takes so much longer, but I've found I have to scour it less often and most of the vm falls out.

After the scour, I may elect to pick it (tease the locks open) if they still have VM like what you show in the picture. (I have a picker that makes this easy and produces beautiful open 'clouds')

Sometimes I'll spin from the picked locks for woolen spinning.  Other wise, depending on the fineness of the fleece, I'll hand card (for the finest fleeces) or drum card or sometimes I'll pull it through a comb if it is a double coated fleece like shetland or icelandic.

For spinning woolen, I'll pull drum carded fleeces through a diz from the side of the batt or from a rolag.  For worsted spinning, I'll pull the wool fromt he end of the batt.

One thing is for certain, if you're working a fleece that wasn't covered, you'll be picking vm out before you scour, after you scour, when you card and when you spin!!!

The better the prep, the funner the spinning.

Don't cut the fleece.  It will leave sharp ends in your spinning.  Tease the locks and work some shampoo into it, then soak it.  It will come out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
frabjousfrocks

fair.fabulous.joyous.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009 08:16:49 PM »

I meant goats but I spent the day on a sheep farm so they were fresh in my mind. sorry, that was a silly goober thing to say
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009 06:13:19 AM »

no worries ....  i often suffer from sheep on the brain!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

amousethecat
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009 09:26:25 AM »

Frankly? A pair of wool carders by any other name are just as-- cheap!
The rectangle wire "cat combs" from a pet store are much cheaper, & depending on what you find you may want to get a pair of wire cutters & trim the 'bristles' to an inch or maybe less.

Just talking from experience...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get glitter on you, be prepared to have it forever. Because glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." -Demetri Martin
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009 02:51:53 AM »

Yes, they are much cheaper, but the wires aren't the same (far less sturdy on pet slickers) you don't have as many tpi (tips per inch) and they have a smaller working area.  All of which will affect your end product and the time it takes to card.

If you aren't going to be carding very much, the slickers will work well, but IMO, if you're tackling a full fleece and don't have access to a drum carder, wool hand cards are the way to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

freefolk
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009 06:43:12 AM »

I'm going to agree with Cyndi. For making mini-batts out of already processed roving or top or blending colors, the dog slickers are fine. Work really well, in fact. But they just aren't sturdy enough to do a good job on scoured wool.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010 08:58:57 PM »

are you soaking in hot water and then letting the water go cold with the fleece still in the bath? If so there actually could be lanolin seeping back in which is then keeping the dirt you see in. trying washing in very hot water but once the water starts cooling off discard and start again until all the grease is out then you may see the dirt coming out as well.

You can also try soaking in smaller batches so the fleece isn't too compressed in the water so the outter locks are cleaning and degreasing but the inner locks can be retaining grease.

Have fun though my first fleece was a nasty, dirty, seedy, VM infested little lamb whose color I fell in love with. As stated I picked when skirting, I picked when sorting, I picked when scouring, I picked after picking, I picked when carding I picked when spinning, I picked when knitting and after finished I picked some then too but I still loved her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mello
How to Draw Satoshi
The Origins of Charlie Brown
How to Draw Miyamoto Musashi
How to Draw Lelouch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...