A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
799 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hookah Party Help?  (Read 1131 times)
Tags for this thread: hookah  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MeganMayhem

We're Kings among runaways <3

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2009 07:55:57 AM »

My hubby and I are throwing a hookah party next weekend, and I'm stuck on decorations and activities. Our apartment is pretty small since it's just the two of us, so we got some cheap seat cushions to sit around the table the hookah will be on for extra seating (we have a couch, 2 big chairs, and 6 dining room chairs for those who want a cushier seat). We also bought an inexpensive curtain that I'm turning into a table cloth to protect my precious table from ashes and drinks. I'm making ribbon tags for the 6 hoses so people will be able to tell them apart. I'll be playing a lot of hookah type and chill out music, and serving some appetizers. I'm still looking for some middle eastern or mediterranean appetizer recipes (we're in Italy so mediterranean ideas shouldn't be so hard). I definitely need some more ideas to turn our living room and balcony into a hookah lounge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009 09:03:16 AM »

If you have any potted plants, those would look nice in the area.  I think you should pull out every pillow in your apartment (not just seat cushions) and clutter the floor with them and lean them against the walls.  If you can dim the lights, then definitely set that to low.  If not, a few white or purple Christmas lights would help set a mellow mood.  Put out any candles you have, especially if they're jeweled.  Same for lanterns.  Food-wise, I think just a ton of warm pita bread wedges with a variety of dips would be perfect (black bean, hummus, tsatsiki, spinach/artichoke, eggplant/olive, plain cheese, etc.).  You could label the dips with similar tags to the hookah pipes.  Also whole olives and grapes and cheese would be super yummy and easy for your guests to eat.  I've never smoked, but perhaps some of the flavors of your tobacco would go well with certain foods also.  Like if they're mostly fruity then you can serve some of that same fruit to complement it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
brookem
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009 06:30:31 AM »

antipasto platters- little bites, crackers, hummus, olives, feta, baklava. i'm assuming this is going to be a casual, laid-back, talking and relaxing kind of affair and when i go to these sorts of things my priorities are a comfortable place to sit, good food and company, a slight draft so the smoke doesn't sting my eyes (i'm always amazed at how fast a room fills with smoke and if you don't regularly smoke indoors the smell really lingers if you don't open a window) and a drink in my hand. this is a personal preference, but i find when i smoke (even from a hookah or similar) that i like to take a sip between hits so my throat doesn't burn. i would recommend fruit juice or some sort of punch or mixer, it doesn't have to be alcoholic- i make non-alcoholic sangria- use cranberry or grape juice instead of wine.
i like fairy lights, they're cheap and twinkly and can be used again and again. i would turn off the overhead lights and light the room with lamps etc. you can buy sheer or thin fabric, hem the edges and use it to cover your furniture or hang it from the ceiling. i've seen fabric effectively to make a room look like a tent by hanging strips of fabric from the middle of the ceiling and tacked to the walls. if the fabric is very light you could use thumb tacks to do this. if you usually don't smoke inside you may want to take down your curtains and other soft furnishings so they don't end up smelling like smoke.
as for activities, you could try 'parlour games'- games that are simple and easy to play and learn and that can be played by just a few people. try games with dice, cards or google traditional middle eastern/ meditteranean  games?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
MikeAndreson
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013 02:43:30 AM »

The good thing about smoking hookah is that you are never addicted of having it unlike the way you see the cigarette smokers. This means you can restrict smoking of hookah as much as you can, which is not possible with other options. In this way, you can choose this option for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Strawberry and Nectarine Crisp
How to Make Homemade Snickers Bars
How to Make Strawberry Basil Pie
How to Make Horchata Tapioca
No-Brainer Waffle Ice Cream Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...