A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: blue and white (lined!) tulip dres (pic heavy)  (Read 3689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

solid_silver_cloud
« on: April 10, 2009 07:55:51 AM »

My friend has been organising a social to raise money for 'world challenge' (it's tonight i'm real excited!) and I needed a dress..
I got the pattern from burdastyle.com, which i've just discovered and love! The patterns are Jocelyn 6022 for the top and then  Marie 9177  for the tulip skirt.

I found the fabric in my house and i thought it was my mum's but it isn't, so it's kind of mysterious  Grin

After i started cutting out the skirt from the blue fabric i realised it was really really thin, and so instead of looking for another piece of more suitable fabric which would have taken about five minutes, i decided to 'just' do a lining because i had a load of cheap white satiny stuff, but it meant that it took twice as long to make!! I'm so stupid!!
And the white was a NIGHTMARE to work with because i cold not iron it flat - it's still real creased!

BUT it's super silky and cosy on the inside to wear so it's kind of worth it. Smiley

It was all a bit haphazard and it was way too big so i had to take it in and i wasn't really concentrating so it isn't quite lined up etc etc

anyway here are pics:

I finished it last night but i wanted to wait so i could take photos in the garden, but of course it began to rain Sad
it's pretty cold as well!
I haven't pressed it or snipped threads of either  Roll Eyes

I did hte zip three times - first as a visible zip, and then as an invisible zip, and then as any zip that looked remotely good. I was so happy i did it again though, cos it was REALLY bad before. I was so fed up i was just going to leave it, but then my mum looked a little alarmed and said she'd help me.   Smiley

The pleats were a little off centre so i covered them up with a big bow Smiley
they're so soft!

Looking at frog spawn  Cheesy

Total cost:
Fabric: 0
Pattern: 0
Zip: 0
HURRAH! It cost nothing except my TIME - i started on tuesday, worked all day,  and then thursday afternoon and evening.
Soundtrack : Radio 1 (they play the same songs OVER and OVER)

I'm not convinced by the skirt pattern as i had to do LOADS of alterations, but the top is quite good fit (thought still a bit baggy as i have tiny boobs!) so i might use it again.

comments/criticisms really appreciated

hapy easter!

xxx
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009 08:00:56 AM by solid_silver_cloud » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hadassah
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009 08:18:20 AM »

I love that color and the big bow in the back is fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ari-

[ n . g o o d b y e ] εз

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009 08:49:55 AM »

That looks great! Shocked awesome job!
I really like dresses with that shape. ♥
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizthecraftybitch
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009 12:00:53 PM »

so cute! i love it. good job on combining two patterns to create something totally awesome. and zippers can be  so f-ing difficult. i have no idea how people manage to make their zippers all pretty and invisible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eightdandelions
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009 10:00:56 PM »

Nothing better than free clothes!  (especially super cute free clothes...)  Good job! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purefairydust
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009 02:52:33 PM »

This came out to be a nice looking outfit with out alterations that costed you nothing. But I think the next time you do the same skirt and top it will come out better, because you know what you don't like and will tweak the pattern to really make it your own. I think in the future you will have wonderful mix and match skirts and tops from these patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009 10:56:32 AM »

thanks for the comments  Grin

zippers can be  so f-ing difficult. i have no idea how people manage to make their zippers all pretty and invisible.

i know! I hope that visible zips stay in fashion forever  Wink

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KimberlyErin
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009 08:44:33 AM »

This is quite cute!  I think the bow makes it look cuter, too, even if it was meant to cover up uneven pleats.  I can't believe it was free (except your time)!  Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hopskip09
I am Human

Created to Create

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009 12:03:25 PM »

So cute! Perfect for summer.
It looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion, art, friends, life....
http://erinisbetter.blogspot.com/

God's thunder spits fire...and sends the oak trees dancing, a wild dance, whirling; the pelting rain strips their branches. We fall to our knees-we cry out, "glory".
flyinglauren
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010 11:51:15 AM »

Love this! you did a fantastic job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn Chinese Food Cutting and Preparation Techniques
How to Cut Carrots into Slices ,Dice and Roll Cut- Chinese style
How to Make a Chicken Curry
How to Make Grilled Oriental Salad
How to sharpen chinese clever with stone
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...