A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
335 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need advice!  (Read 666 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ranchelmarie
« on: April 09, 2009 04:17:29 PM »

Hello all!
I've just created my website selling organic cotton blankets, bibs, cloths, and quilts. I would love for some of you to check it out and let me know *honestly* what you think of the site, the products and/or the prices.
Thanks so much in advance!

www.organicpatchwork.com
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009 04:18:04 PM by ranchelmarie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009 08:55:37 PM »

You have a very nice product.

There are two things that I would say about the site itself.  First of all, the background colors are a little too bold for my eyes.  It makes the words hard to read.  The second thing that I see is that you have a description for a product that has no picture.  If it were my website, I would not post an item until I had a picture to go with it. 

As for pricing, you are probably in the ballpark.  Mayb a little high, but organic is expected to be a little higher than anything else, so you're probably really close.

Overall, you're off to a good start.

Good luck to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onelastminuet
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009 10:26:50 AM »

I like your overall design, however I'm not a fan of Century Gothic unless it's used in small amounts. Plus, the grey's a little difficult to read on the green background - black might be a nicer and easier-to-read choice.

For the 'Contact Me', I think it'd be easier to include a contact form, like the ones where someone can input their name, email and whatever questions or concerns that they may have rather than having it pop up into a blank email. This would be helpful for those who don't use an email program like Outlook or Thunderbird.

Also, more photos of your products might be a good idea as well. And also resize them, since I clicked on a few photos and they're massive and I have to scroll up and down and side to side forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michelle
http://imaginarysunshine.com - personal blog
http://chelle-chelle.com - crafts blog/site
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009 05:20:59 AM »

The color scheme isn't doing it for me. Something more baby-like and inviting...light peach, blue, white, light taupe...everything softer, we're talking about babies here!

The front page has too many words about cotton and too few about how you're selling organic cotton baby blankets, bibs and etc which will do you better with search engines than the properties of cotton. Also, a picture would be nice to relieve some of the monotony of the text (I agree that the font you're using isn't quite the thing), but your photos are very dark and I'm not sure that would be the best option, either. Maybe purchase a nice photo of a baby and stick 'er on there. You can get a photo for just a couple bucks at lots of online stock places.

The Comic Sans font isn't working for me either, and the background of the banner there is very dull colored and a bit depressing. Maybe take the baby pic and stick it in the banner, leave the banner background white and use a nice soft yet vibrant tone and a bit more interesting or playful, less heavy font. It doesn't hurt to have a tagline - doesn't have to be clever, just explanatory like "organic cotton creations to protect your baby's skin" or whatever you feel gets the main points across.

Prices and product descriptions look fine. Work on lightening up the photos - I sympathize there, I'm trying to do that myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ranchelmarie
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009 08:39:40 PM »

Thanks for all the advice, I'm working on putting it together and fixing them issues you've all pointed out. And thanks for pointing out how bold the colors were, apparently there is something wrong with the colors on my laptop screen and I never realized until you said something and I looked at my site on another computer screen and the colors were way different. On my laptop it looked soft and calm and on the other screen it was much brighter than what I was going for.
Anywho, I'm still working on the things mentioned, but I wanted to get an opinion on a new banner.

Do you like either of those, if so which one, or should I stick with the banner I've got (below).

Thanks! I'll update once the sites looking better, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CheshireNat

Most days I just want to have adventures.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009 10:40:55 AM »

I like the new banner.  I'd go with the top one, just because I like skinny banners better. They tend to take up less space, so people on smaller laptops see more of the actual site quicker (if that makes any sense).

As for the site, Century Gothic is one of my favorite, favorite fonts, but I think you need to stick with Helvetica or Arial for your basic paragraph text.  I'd keep Century Gothic for headers and even the site map, but change it for the rest.  Also, pay attention to font sizes. On your index page, the paragraph text seems way too big for me. And, here's the editor in me coming out, you might want to reread the opening paragraph on your site or have somebody you know read it over for you before you post it. There's a sentence that says "Cotton...has a low impact on our the enviornment", so keep an eye out for those kinds of things. Smiley

So far, great job though! I like how easy it is to navigate, and the way you present each item is great. Definitely a good start. Good luck!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CheshireNat Designs: excelling at cuteness since 1983
http://cheshirenat.etsy.com
b16aGirl
If you see me wandering the streets staring at the sky, remind me that clouds aren't quilted.

I got nuthin.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009 09:10:47 PM »

I think the site is very cute the way it is now (I didn't see it before). Your prices seem right in line with other organic products and I even thought the bibs were a steal! It's really awesome to see someone selling organics at prices that aren't absurd.

And I agree about form contact rather than the pop-up blank e-mail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a beautiful day!
ranchelmarie
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009 08:43:40 AM »

Alright, so the site is up and running except for glitch with the contact form which I am diligently working on and the photos which I have to take some time and fix....
Thanks for all your advice! Keep it coming if you've got more.

update: fixed the contact form. need to take new pictures.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009 10:06:28 AM by ranchelmarie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Writing the Script
Post Production: Telecine
Auditions and Casting for a Film
Post Production: Editing, Music and Visual Effects
How to Make Zombie Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...