A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needle Felted Peacock Sweater  (Read 2038 times)
Tags for this thread: felt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brielauren
« on: August 20, 2010 02:39:24 AM »

so i recently participated in the DIY Craft Kit Swap and recieved a lovely needle felting kit from ChrisSews. Anyways after playing around i decided i HAD to embellish this awesome (but almost boring) purple sweater i had with a peacock! so here it is.

the detail in the eye and front feather didnt turn out quite as detailed as i hoped but im sure ill get better with practice. im still really happy with it. does anyone else think the feather on the front looks kinda funny? any suggestions?

as always c&c welcome but please be kind! i just started needle felting and this was quite a large project for me

The peacock

So you can see placement and size of it

Feather on the front

Detail of feather. this shows the color of the sweater the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to make a quilt from squares from other craftsters. want to send a square? lets swap!

i also would love to swap for handspun yarn!!!!!!!

Scarf Swap ~ Crafting
Spell My Name Swap ~ sent

http://wists.com/brielauren
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010 03:22:36 AM »

wow.. great work... and I think the feather on the front looks just wonderful.....needl e felting is something Ive always wanted to do....How was it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brielauren
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010 10:51:06 PM »

it was great!i highly suggest it. its super fun and easy. more just relaxed than anything else
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to make a quilt from squares from other craftsters. want to send a square? lets swap!

Scarf Swap ~ Crafting

twistedsunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010 02:56:10 PM »

I have the equipment to needle felt but have never done, this peacock has helped me make up my mind - time to try needle felting! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debbi
serial crafter and diy diva
brielauren
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010 03:34:33 PM »

aww im so glad!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarf Swap ~ Crafting

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010 05:41:04 PM »

Absolutely beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChrisSews
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010 10:07:52 PM »

Nice job.  Way to jump right in with a big project!  Glad to see you're getting good use out of your kit.

I really like the design of the feather on the front.  The peacock must have taken you quite awhile...its really well done.  Fine detail is a bit tricky with needle felting but keep practicing any you'll get the hang of it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
brielauren
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010 10:26:55 PM »

aww thanks! i figure i did well enough with the detail for just learning. i wokred on it for 6 days with about an hour to three hours each day. i made each eye of the feathers seperately then attached them. i just dont know what to do with the inside of the sweater. there are all the little fuzzies from pulling it off the foam. any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarf Swap ~ Crafting

ChrisSews
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010 01:26:06 AM »

The little fuzzies of wool on the back always happens.  You can take the needle and felt the back to get the fuzzies to blend back in.  Fold the bits over so they're flat and then try to stab it more perpendicular to help the fussy bits to lay down.  Sometime though if you're working with several different colors felting from the back might make the colors blend a bit on the front.

Another option that might work even better for a sweater is to do a bit of wet felting to finish the back.  Put down some plastic to protect your table from the water and then lay your sweater flat with the back facing up.  Mix up a couple of cups of hot water with a few drops of dish soap.  Pour the soapy water over the entire felted area.  Then put your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and rub all over the felted area (you could also try it with bare hands but sometimes the wool will stick to your hand so having it covered in plastic can be easier).  Rub in a circular motion, changing directions often.  All the rubbing should make the fuzzy loops felt together and to the back of the sweater.  It may take several mins of rubbing but keep at it until all the fuzzies are flat and sticking to the sweater well.  Then rinse the sweater really well in cold water.  You want to make sure to get all the soap out of the wool.  The hot and then cold water will make the wool shrink some.  A bit of shrinkage is good as it'll tighten up the wool and make the felting more durable on the sweater.  If if shrinks too much though it could cause the sweater to pucker up around the felted area.  If this happens just gently pull along the edges of the design to stretch the wool back out.  Then lay it the sweater flat until it dries.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
brielauren
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010 11:23:00 PM »

wow thank you so much! im going to have to try this tonight!

ps just got back from a shopping trip to joanns and was slightly disappointed because they dont carry needle felting supplies (i already knew but wass still wishing i could have gotten some!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarf Swap ~ Crafting

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amuse Bouche: The Art of Beef Jerky Innuendo
Southwestern Turkey Chili
How to Make Chicken Cutlets
How to Make a Big Mac Burger
How to Make Grilled Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...