A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BUDGET MEALS SWAP; ALL DONE!!  (Read 10692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2009 10:04:35 AM »

how fun....craft for decaf Smiley that rhymes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2009 10:41:46 AM »

I've had fun trying out some new ones!!  I've been logging grocery costs into a spreadsheet and it's really an eye-opener!  I discovered that DH has been buying $6.00 pesto sauce for our homemade pizza night!!  I don't want to get rid of homemade pizza night, but I'll need an alternative to pesto.   Sad

You could always just make your own sauce, if you know how to make your own marinara pasta sauce you can make your own pizza sauce. All it is, is a couple of small cans of tomato sauce, some water and some spices (one spice you cannot skip is basil, that's what makes it tastey!). That's pretty much it, you can do other things to it to make it your own, like if you plan on using a ground meat on top of your pizza, you can cook it in the same pan you're going to cook your sauce in, drain some of the fat if it's too much fat, then you could saute some diced onion in it, then you can put a little bit of flour for thickness, THEN add your tomato sauce, water, and spices and let it reduce on low to medium heat for at least 10-15 minutes. So if you use 2 cans of tomato sauce and they're about 75 cents each, that's $1.50. Then allot about $1.00 for a quarter of an onion, a tablespoon of flour, and the spices, you've got a good pizza sauce for $2.50.
I -always- make my own sauces, including cheese sauces, marinara sauces, and alfredo sauces. Canned/Jarred sauces seem cheaper than they really are. And sauces are not as hard as they seem. 1 sauce takes about 10 minutes to make, not including reduction time. My only suggestion is to take everything you're going to need for your sauce out and have it ready to go in when you need it, because everything goes pretty quickly and if you're working with cheese or milk you cannot stop stirring! lol

[Edit] Here's a good recipe similar to what i was talking about. Except I suggest adding 6 ounces of water to that so it reduces nicely, and you can substitute fresh tomato with diced canned tomato.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Homemade-Pizza-Sauce-22280
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009 10:46:55 AM by DesignVigilante » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2009 10:53:43 AM »

Canned/Jarred sauces seem cheaper than they really are. And sauces are not as hard as they seem.

QFT! Especially tomato sauces. Canned tomatoes are so ridiculously cheap you can generally make a damn good sauce for 1/2 the price (sometimes less!). Now for convenience, jarred sauces are hard to beat, but if you don't mind a little extra time and cooking, your own is the way to go! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2009 11:15:11 AM »

Canned/Jarred sauces seem cheaper than they really are. And sauces are not as hard as they seem.

QFT! Especially tomato sauces. Canned tomatoes are so ridiculously cheap you can generally make a damn good sauce for 1/2 the price (sometimes less!). Now for convenience, jarred sauces are hard to beat, but if you don't mind a little extra time and cooking, your own is the way to go! Smiley

Once you get the hang of making your own sauces, it really doesn't take much longer than it takes for the pasta to boil (if you're making pasta). Last night, i made my own alfredo sauce and it literally only took about 5 minutes longer than it took for the water to boil and cook the pasta. I just stock up on tomato sauce, canned diced tomatos, and cheese. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
loralyn
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2009 11:51:43 AM »

I've decided on about half of my recipes, and still planning the crafty portion. Chatting with my partner about favorite kitchen appliances....I love gadgets!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love everything vintage and
I love to make aprons, totes and kitschy kitchen things!
Practically Vintage, my Etsy store
My Vintage Charm blog
sonjabegonia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2009 11:54:52 AM »

I'm back online after a week of vacation and ready to get going on this swap.  Should be fun! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twitter - @snelsonchi
MsMia

Christmas, Fall, and Winter Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2009 12:52:58 PM »

I think I have went overboard on recipes.  Plan to hit the grocery store this week and do some price checks.  Since I tend to shop the sale items and store brands this should be interesting.

I have decided on my crafts...sort of....anything could change in a day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angeleyes410
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2009 09:38:36 PM »

Grin
Working away.
I'm having a hard time with side dishes everything I think of seems more like snacks. And to be honest for our sides we usually just cook up some fresh veggies from MIL's garden (in season..and we're trying to grow our own this year!) or...zap some frozen veggies in the microwave.
And desserts, everything cheap and easy seems like a no brainer!
But entree's I have coming out the rear!! Lol..ok not literally..that was kind of a gross word choice.
How about, out the ears?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crosswind
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2009 11:09:13 PM »

I have had the hardest time with deserts....probably because I don't make them very often.  Several of those are going to be family gathering favorites I think, since that is usually the only time I actually make sweets.  My plan to craft a lot this past weekend was thwarted by a plethora of commitments (baby shower, birthdays, company picnic etc.)  But soon, real soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimberly_Star
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2009 11:33:00 AM »

Hey everyone!  Just checking in!  I'm still enjoying trying out some new recipes to send with this swap.  I got Rachael Ray's mag and a new Family Circle cook book and both are full of budget-friendly recipes.  DH is REALLY enjoying the increased variety in my cooking as a result!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understanding Form in Architecture
Understanding Scale in Architecture
Understanding Proportion in Architecture
Visit New York City, NY - Chelsea Art Galleries
Understanding Asymmetry in Architecture
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...