A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BUDGET MEALS SWAP; ALL DONE!!  (Read 11288 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kimberly_Star
« on: April 09, 2009 10:46:17 AM »

Swap name: Budget Meals Swap
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: Kimberly_Star
Sign-up date range: April 9th, 2009 – April 20th, 2009
Date to send item by: May 23rd, 2009

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): No, but if more than 24 people sign up, I will not continue allowing participants until there is a swap co-organizer.

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? No**

Age requirement? 13

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 13 years old: YES
- Participant lives in the United States: YES
   - If yes, understands that Delivery Confirmation number is required for this swap: YES
   - If no, understands that a mailing receipt copy is required for this swap: YES

Swap Details:

Has the economy got you searching high and low for budget friendly recipes to feed your family?  Are you a college student looking to save a little money for tuition and books?  If your answer is yes to either question, this may just be the perfect swap for you!

The requirements for this swap are simple.  You may craft one or two kitchen/cooking related items for your partner, as long as those items add up to just 2 points.  Here is a sampling of the points value system:

-Large = 3 points
-Medium = 2 points
- Small = 1 point

By Time
-Large = 3 or more hours
-Medium = 2 or more hours
-Small = 2 or less hours

By Size
-Large = A shawl, a shirt, a skirt, a set of jewelry with four to five items, a purse
-Medium = one single necklace or bracelet, a scarf
-Small = Earrings, stickers, wallets, pouches, bookmarks

By Price
-Large = $30 or more
-Medium = $10-$30 dollars
-Small = $10 or less

Other than the 2 points of crafty goodness, you will be required to send your partner the following:

5 entrée recipes
5 side dish recipes
5 dessert recipes
5 misc. pieces of info (i.e., more recipes, frozen food storage guides, nutritional info, coupons, menu plans, etc.)

FOR ALL RECIPES, PLEASE BE SURE THAT THE AVERAGE PRICE PER SERVING IS NO MORE THAN $2.50.  If meeting the cost per serving requirement means taking advantage of a sale or coupons, please be sure to note that in the recipe.  Please make sure that no more than 2 recipes per category require sales/coupons to meet the requirement.

**NOTE:  I will accept non-US participants, but if you do sign up and are out of the US, please be prepared to convert measurements for US participants.  If you are a US participant willing to send outside the US, be prepared to convert measurements to metric.

If you want to participate, please send a PM to your organizer.  (Remember to put Budget Meals Swap in the subject line!)

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap:  Budget Meals Swap
Craftster username:
Email address:
Your real name:
Mailing address including the country:
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?:
Confirm that you are at least 13 years old (yes/no):
Are you on a special diet? (diabetes, weight loss, vegetarian, low sodium, etc.)
Are you allergic to any foods or are there any foods you don’t like that you’d rather not receive recipes for?
What is your situation? (i.e., college student, married/living together w/ no children, sahm, etc.)
Do you think you’d be able to find information for someone in a different situation than yours?  (I.e., it may be hard for a sahm to find enough info for a college student with only a microwave to cook with.)
What color/style/theme is your kitchen?
What are your favorite color(s)?
What are your least favorite color(s)?
What’s your style? 
What kinds of crafting can you do?
Are there any crafted items you’d prefer to receive?
Are there any crafted items you’d prefer not to receive?
For the recipes and etc. would you prefer plain, printed copies, crafted recipe cards/cookbooks or a computer disc?
If you would like a computer disc, what format can you accept?  (I.e., Word, .pdf, etc.)
Do you have a camera or access to a camera? Can you post pictures?
Do you smoke or come from a smoking household?
Do you have any allergies relevant to this swap (other than food allergies)?
Anything else you’d like your swap partner to know about your style, lifestyle, etc.?

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

Communication with organizer and partner is vital for a good swap experience! Communication will be noted on your feedback comments.

Everyone is required to either post on the thread or send their assigned organizer a PM with a progress report every week after partners are assigned. Failure to communicate on the thread, or with your partner or the organizer can get you dropped from the swap with a negative!

DC # is required for USA mailed items, and a Customs # for international items sent between countries (it will be on your customs sheet) or a photo of a sales receipt. Packages sent to another person in the same country other than the USA also need a tracking number.

Participants:

1.   Kimberly_Star
2.   princessblueberry
3.   nikimac
4.   angeleyes410
5.   desm88
6.   Decaf
7.   crosswind
8.   Nymeria
9.   tattooedcrafter
10.   MsMia
11.   dharma_rebel
12.   amymisha
13.   DesignVigilante
14.   MommyTheMaid
15.   morglanc
16.   sonjabegonia
17.   loralyn
18.   TracyInNH

Partners!!   

amymisha <----> desm88
princessblueberry <----> morglanc
Decaf <----> Kimberly_Star
nikimac <----> angeleyes410
dharma_rebel <----> crosswind
sonjabegonia <----> MsMia
MommyTheMaid <----> tattooedcrafter
Nymeria <----> DesignVigilante
Loralyn <----> TracyInNH

Link to Gallery:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=304522.0
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 08:12:06 AM by Kimberly_Star » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009 11:57:21 AM »

You know, I was just thinking there should be another cooking related swap Grin I need to finish up some swaps first before joining, but if i get an open slot before the 20th ill definitely sign up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
Kimberly_Star
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009 12:16:09 PM »

I hope you can join up, DesignVigilante! 

I'm also hoping that this turns into one of those swaps that has hundreds of rounds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009 12:23:51 PM »

I think this would be a great swap to have several rounds of! Although, some people might be put off by the fact that you have to learn how to figure out how much a serving costs. It's easy to just throw recipes together, but actually figuring out how much each serving costs?
I personally think it will be fun! I just got done watching the UK reality show called The Restaurant, where 9 couples got to open their own restaurants, and that was a big thing on the show- figuring out how much it costs to make a plate and how much you should mark it up in order to make a profit.
I think the best way to go about this would be to figure out what recipe you want to do, and as you're actually cooking and preparing it, writing down what you're using and approximately how much that item cost when you bought it at the market, and then divide it by the amount you used in the recipe.
I think my 5 entrees will all be casseroles of some sort. I've really gotten into tweaking the typical campbell's soups casseroles, plus I LOVE the leftovers because that means I don't have to figure out what the hubby is having for lunch the next day Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimberly_Star
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009 12:40:39 PM »

I agree that it may be hard to figure out cost-per-serving for some, but I did feel like there needed to be some kind of guideline.  It can be tweaked if both partners agree to that.   Smiley

I get a lot of newsletters and have quite a few cookbooks that already have the national average cost-per-serving in them.  If they're older books I usually just apply the inflation rate to get a "current" cost.  Of course the really old ones are ridiculous so I just ignore their costs altogether!  I also have a notebook that has our favorite recipes in it and each recipe has a cost-per-serving that I've developed so that I can pick the REALLY cheap ones when it's the end of the month and grocery money is all but gone!  Lol!

I do casseroles at least once a week as well.  It definitely helps with getting lunch taken care of every day.  It's SO much cheaper for me to take leftovers to work than even packing a sandwich at home!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009 01:01:14 PM »

I think maybe you should add a plus/minus 50 cents. So people don't freak out if their recipe comes out to be 1.75 or 2.15 a serving.

I think this is a good way to learn how to figure all these things out, especially since we're in a recession and even the wealthiest are on a tighter budget. It's good to be aware of what will give you the most for your money when you're at the grocery store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princessblueberry
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009 01:06:46 PM »

Am thinking about it...just have to decide if I'm all reciped out...I've been putting together a cookbook for a fundraiser.   Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strangers are just family you have not met yet. . .
~Mitch Albom

wist...http://www.wists.com/princessblueberry
Kimberly_Star
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009 01:22:57 PM »

I think maybe you should add a plus/minus 50 cents. So people don't freak out if their recipe comes out to be 1.75 or 2.15 a serving.

I think this is a good way to learn how to figure all these things out, especially since we're in a recession and even the wealthiest are on a tighter budget. It's good to be aware of what will give you the most for your money when you're at the grocery store.

You don't think having it say, "FOR ALL RECIPES, PLEASE BE SURE THAT THE AVERAGE PRICE PER SERVING IS AROUND $2.00" is clear enough?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MommyTheMaid
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009 01:29:27 PM »

I am a consultant for Pampered Chef, although I am just waiting to go inactive at this point, and one of our big things was $2 a serving meals.  If I signed up would I be able to use those?  I am not trying to sell anything to anyone, just passing on yummy recipes that I have actually tried.

Are the crafted items cooking related?  And I have to voice just one little snafu that I can think of.  I see that we can request paper or disc, and I wouldn't do well with a disc so I would choose paper.  I would love to send crafted recipe cards or even a crafted cookbook but if I did that and got back a bunch of printed sheets of paper I would be disappointed.   Is there a ruling on this?  
Thanks!  I swear I am not trying to be a pain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimberly_Star
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009 01:37:47 PM »

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmmm.  Lots to think about here.

I understand the point of view that it would be hard to work out the cost of dishes, especially with the differences in food costs.  I do, however, feel that there needs to be a set guideline because, after all, one person's gourmet meal may be another's budget meal.  After reading many, many publications, about $2.00 per serving does seem to be the "standard" with regards to budget-friendly recipes.  Any suggestions on how to alleviate the strain for UK participants?  I don't want to close this swap entirely to anyone outside the US.

Pampered Chef recipes - yes, sure, fine!  I don't really care where you get the recipes.  In general, as long as you're not trying to sell them, you're not violating copyright laws.  I think throwing in a little FYI to your partner would be nice, though.  Just so he/she knows you're not trying to sell anything.   Smiley

About the way the recipes are presented; if you and your partner choose to craft recipe cards or a cookbook, that's fine.  Please make note of that fact in your questionnaire and I'll try to pair you up with someone who wants the same.  My only judgment will be placed on the parameters I've already set forth, so it will be up to each participant if they want to risk sending crafted recipes and etc. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Beatbox: Cow Bell
Backgammon Doubling Cube
Backgammon Game: The End
Backgammon Board: Pieces And Parts
Backgammon: Playing The Game
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...