A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A blue messenger bag, or why I love IKEA  (Read 3815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lody
« on: April 09, 2009 06:35:12 AM »

Two years ago, I made a black messenger bag painted with rainbow penguins and with a billion pockets.  Amazingly enough, despite daily use (including as a carry-on bag for multiple, very long plane trips), it's still holding up wonderfully.  However, it is heavy, it does not hold its shape well, and...well, it's not blue. I love blue.

When I saw this (awesome!) swirly fabric at IKEA, I knew it had to become the improved version of my old messenger bag.  The birdy fabric is from IKEA too.  After my very dark previous bag, I definitely wanted a light lining fabric, even if that means easier dirtying.  The dark blue fabric is from cut up IKEA curtains.  The outer fabric is lined with a thick iron-on felt, which makes the bag hold its shape much more nicely... but I doubt it'll be as solid as the second layer of fabric I had ironed onto my previous bag.  No pattern used, but it's just a standard rectangular bag with extra pockets Wink  Oh, and the sides are shorter than the bag/the bottom is longer, so that the seam doesn't end up in the corner.

I actually started this one a few months ago, and got mad when I bent one too many needles on my machine... it's a cheap Brother, and it does not love the amount of layers I try feeding it.  Next time, I'm buying heavy weight needles, no more regulars.

That front pocket has snaps, but they're too spaced out for the pocket to securely hold anything :/ Luckily, I meant it to be more decorative than anything, so it's all good! Wink  I did NOT put a big zipped pocket in the flap this time, even though I used that pocket more than any other on my old bag, because it makes the bag take a very lumpy ugly shape.

There's a snap closure on the back.  I only really put a reusable shopping bag in there--here in France stores charge you for the cheapie plastic ones to encourage people to not use them--so I am not worried about stuff falling out of this pocket.
Note the handle! I really hated not having a handle on the other bag.  I'm happy with how this one turned out.

The inside--absolutely NO pockets in that inside compartment. I love pocket, but since I was trying to make the bag lightweight I left out as many as possible. It worked, btw, the bag is a very nice weight.

A bottle pocket with elastic.  I love the look of a tie, but I know I'd never bother to tie it.  Elastic does it on its own.  This, and the next picture, were my first tries (well, apart from practicing) at freezer paper stenciling! I used acrylic paints, and I love the outcome.

I brushed the paint on very lightly with a dry brush when I did the stenciling, which is how I got that translucent white.  I think it's perfect for the whole "dreamy sky stuff" I did. Cheesy  Oh, btw, the lace at the bottom was because I did not sew the bottom of the pockets, and so I had to really fight my machine (it has a very short free arm) to sew it once the outer shell of the bag was assembled.  My stitches came out SO ugly, I had to hide them. Yay lace!

This front pocket has two little appliqued pockets inside, it's pretty much my "everything" pocket.  I made it zipped so I could toss my wallet, keys etc in it without worrying about losing them, even if I turn the bag upside down accidentally. (yes, I do that a lot...)

Sorry for the overload of pictures! If you have any questions about how to make it, ask! C&C welcome, and if you're interested in a tutorial, please chime in.  A friend has asked me for a tea-stained, pirate messenger bag with a compass and everything (...what a kid Wink ), so I'll take the pictures for one if there's enough interest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
crendon
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009 07:16:48 AM »

This is great!!! I love the fabric choices too, everything works so well together
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myfairytalescomingtrue
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009 07:20:23 AM »

Fantastic bag!  IKEA fabric is the best!  I love all the pockets!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Store - Fantastic Fabrics at Discount Prices
http://www.JeLowe.etsy.com

My Blog
http://jelowe.blogspot.com/
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009 07:39:12 AM »

I do love Ikea fabrics but I dont sew..so I must live my ikea fabric dreams through others on craftster...

great job..love the fabric combos..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
fairieknits
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009 08:04:18 AM »

Really cute! I love the handpainted detail on the side pockets. The fabric is super pretty!

If you wanted to be able to put stuff in that front pocket you might be able to add a third snap in between the existing two of even hide a small Length of snap tape or sew on Velcro to the inside of the pocket where it wouldn't be too visible.

I would love to see a tutorial! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is a work of fiction.  All the characters in it, human and otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain of the fairy folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on their existence.  Or lack thereof.~Neil Gaiman
I love personal swaps. I crochet, sew and more!
Lody
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009 08:26:26 AM »

Thanks!
smittenheart, why don't you sew?  My first messenger bag (here : http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=156422 ) was my very first real project, and it went fine.  The awesome thing about messenger bags is they are all straight edges, so there's no curves or anything to fight with, and if they're not perfect, no one can tell because they're a little floppy and slouchy, not like clothes. You should totally try!  But yeah, aren't IKEA fabrics wonderful Cheesy

fairieknits, I thought about the velcro idea (I have no more of the white snaps, they were old things from my mom I think) but really I put that pocket on there just for aesthetics--it wouldn't even look as nice if the pocket was bulging with stuff.  Thanks for trying to help though! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
landofoz
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009 08:54:55 AM »

Okay, what is this ikea??  I've lots of fabric from there that I have no desire for but this blue stuff??  OMG.  I love it!  (I too, have been enchanted by the blue, since a very young age.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lianatempera
Happiness is Created. Creating IS Happiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009 12:10:24 PM »

I LOVE this bag! the fabric is beautiful, especially because it's blue (I love blue). and the stenciled pockets?? genius!
hmmm....looks like it would make a good diaper bag (sorry, I'm expecting my 3rd and everything reminds me of babies).
I would love to see a tutorial. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lody
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009 02:46:00 PM »

landofoz, ttp://www.ikea.com/us/en/ ikea! only one of the hugest cheap furniture stores ever.  There's a statistic ...something like 10% of europeans were concieved in ikea beds XD Here's the fabric collection this fabric is from:   As you can see that popular tree fabric is from the same design...thing. It's my favorite personally! And yeah I agree when I saw the blue fabric I was like "wow! this is AWESOME fabric!"  ...I have like... at least two more yards XD

lianatempera, thanks Smiley And haha, I don't mind you saying it looks like a diaper bag--most of the messenger bags I love are diaper bags! XD I think they're designed with the most efficiency, pockets for everything and all that... and they're girly, but still in that messenger shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009 06:30:15 PM »

This is an awesome bag! I love the colors, very relaxing and fun, and the print is awesome on both the outside, and the inside! Love it all around. Great job!
Oh and I really love the pocket with the elastic. Great idea! I think there should be lots more bags with pockets like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Bead - Correcting Mistakes and Adding Thread
Learn how to Bead - Herringbone Stitch
Learn How to Bead - Brick Stitch
Learn how to Bead - Peyote Stitch
Learn how to Bead - Introduction to Stitching
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...