A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Past Featured Projects and Interviews  (Read 52853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oranginaqueen
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2011 09:28:53 AM »

Yeah, I don't even know where to start on the awesomeness of these appliques! These are fantastic!  Love them. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starwarspunk
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2011 05:57:36 PM »

these are so adorable!!!!!  normally i despise ewoks, but you managed to make wicket look sooo adorable!  great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchyspaz
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2011 04:24:22 PM »

I need to show these to the Star Wars geek in my life, they rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2011 04:51:50 PM »

I can not get over the fact that ChameleonHound just recently picked up a needle and some floss! She is a natural and I just lover her outgoing attitude. Let's find out more about her and this super awesome piece.

Tell me a little bit about the piece

This embroidery was the first one I ever started, and thanks to swap deadlines for another one, the second one I finished. It probably would have been the first one done if filling in the orange on Hobbes hadn't been so daunting. Back when I kept telling myself that I needed to try embroidering something, I pointed to the header on the Sunday comics and said "...and THAT'S what I'm going to make, as soon as I learn how". I love the comics, especially Calvin and Hobbes.

Tell me a little bit about yourself

Hmm, well I've always loved crafting little bits here and there, but when I went to college I met thelastkodama, and she and I started bouncing ideas off each other and sharing how to do the different crafts we each did. She introduced me to Craftster, and ever since I've been going crazy trying out as many crafts as possible. I've since graduated from school, and found that one of the fringe benefits of currently being unemployed is that I have lots of time for crafting.

How did you get into stitching/embroidery?

I hadn't really paid attention to it, since I had really only seen the country kitsch cross-stitches that I found kind of cheesy. Then I started to see the amazing work all the talented people on Craftster were doing with topics that I found lots more appealing, and I got interested. Finally, a few months ago, thelastkodama showed me how to do a number of different stitches and I went from there.

What's your next project?
Not sure yet, but I've been thinking of continuing on the comics theme. I might do an embroidered scene from Buckles or a Gary Larson comic, or I might just skip all that and do something completely new.

What are some words of advice for newbies?
First of all, it's not as hard as it looks. Just try it already! (I wish someone had told me that sooner). Secondly, I've found a lot of materials at the thrift store for really cheap. Hoops are about 50c apiece at my local thrift store, and I just got a huge bag of embroidery floss for $2, and all I had to do was a bit of untangling. So grab a hoop, some scrap fabric, and that floss that's been kicking around, and go for it!

If you want to see step-by-step images, check out her original post.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=390353.msg4621422#msg4621422
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LucyKitsch
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2011 08:13:47 AM »

Wow! I'd thought about trying some embroidery but wasn't so sure I could do it... This is really inspirational! I think I'll have a go! Next time I stop at the store I'll be sure to pick up some supplies!
Thanks for the awesome post! And congrats ChameleonHound for the featured project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2011 08:26:02 PM »

That's such a fantastic project! Looking forward to seeing more from you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Averia

Floppsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2011 03:32:23 AM »

faces are so difficult - I'm amazed at how well done the expressions turned out. I have wall space available if you are looking for somewhere to hang this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2011 10:21:12 AM »

When I saw LimeRiot's panta, I giggled like a school girl. For a lot of us old timers, a panta was a knitted head scarf that was hot back in the early days of Craftster. I believe I love this panta even more. Let's find out about this adorable project and its creator.

Tell us about the project.
The origin of the Panta dates back generations and is quite sacred okay, maybe not. It actually started when Troublet was talking about making a panta, which apparently is a knit or crochet headband. At the time, I didnt know the word and I happened to be in the holiday spirit so my mind instantly jumped to a Panda in a Santa suit. I raced home from work and stitched up my version of the Panta the same day. The candy cane bamboo idea was Troublets!

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I live in Seattle with the man of my dreams and our pack of fuzzy dog babies. We love entertaining and trying new restaurants and bars, especially dog friendly establishments! I spend as much time as I can crafting and attempting to learn new things. When I'm spending a little too much time in the craft room, my furry kids will usually tell me by eating one of my projects  Smiley.

Is it hard to work with felt?
Not at all! Its a great way to make a quick and colorful project. Hate satin stitching? Me too. Try filling in a big space with felt instead!!

What advice would you give newbies?

Using a nice wool or wool-blend felt is worth the extra pennies. The colors are fantastic and its much easier to work with than standard craft felt.

Check out Aranzi Aronzo books for felty inspiration. Cute Stuff and The Cuter Book are two of my favorites.

If youre going to stamp your work, use a permanent inkpad like StayzOn to avoid smudges. Stamp your fabric first and then stitch so you dont ruin the whole piece if you flub the stamping.

What's next for you in the stitchy world?
With the recent release of the new Marcel the Shell video, Im inspired to stitch up Marcel and one of his adorable quotes.

Bonus Question! I think your dogs need an adoptive Aunt Kittykill, wouldn't your agree? Wink
I absolutely agree!! Opie has been hinting that hed really like to meet Lola. I think shes too tough for him though.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011 10:27:20 AM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Alter ALL the nuts!!

« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2011 10:42:57 AM »

I have no words for how much I love the Panta, best holiday project on Craftster this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

Shop the Swap Spring Market- open March 15!
DEmiurgic
Little O'l Me

Art & Dancing, my two passions.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2011 12:59:20 PM »

Awesome ~Thanks for sharing  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. --Theodore Roosevelt
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to ‘Photoshop’ Yourself Into an Image
The Camera Raw "Do-Over" Button in Photoshop
How to Draw Pink Panther
How to Draw Pidgey
How to Use the Dodge and Burn Photoshop Tools
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...