A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Past Featured Projects and Interviews  (Read 56802 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2011 06:51:32 PM »

You inspire me! I have lovely photos of places that mean a lot to me...and i am fairly good at embroidery...

uh-oh.

I hear a craft attack sneaking up on me! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2011 05:28:38 PM »

This is such a gorgeous piece!!  Nice work.  I especially love the color scheme.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
thelmanoodle
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2011 10:33:00 AM »

This piece is truly amazing and so delightful to look at and you must be so proud of your work as you gaze upon it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aislinntx
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2011 07:38:21 AM »

I love picking up art pieces whenever I go visit someplace new.  This inspires me to make  my own piece from my vacations! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2011 01:16:36 PM »

When I first saw this project, I was left speechless, which for me, is a difficult task. Jemimah created a BEAUTIFUL piece of artwork. It has been featured all over the internet. Let's find out a little bit more about this wonderful sweet person and this amazing piece of stitchery.

Tell me a little bit about yourself

I live in a beautiful, sunny part of New Zealand, a place full of orchards and wineries. Im a full-time PhD student, married with two stepsons and two spoilt cats. I dont live near my university, so Im home alone a lot, and Craftster is a constant temptation inspiration!

I love doing creative things, particularly art, embroidery and sewing. Ive done embroidery for years, and these days I usually make up my own designs in crewel/freeform embroidery or stumpwork. But I nearly always give them away ...

Tell me about the piece, where did you get the inspiration

The tentacle embroidery was for the Tiny Edition of the Hoopla swap. My partner Deee had some really interesting things in her Etsy favourites, and her own artwork is just amazing. One of her Etsy faves was a large wall sculpture of a tentacle coming through a porthole. I thought it was great, but it wasnt until a few days later that it suddenly occurred to me could you make a 3D tentacle in embroidery? I had to think it through for several days, to figure out the best design and construction, and then had so much fun putting it together!

What is stumpwork?

Stumpwork is a kind of embroidery that features raised and textured work, often using padding and wire, and sometimes beads. It was very popular in England in the 17th century. Its usually very detailed, and a chance for the artist to show off fancy stitches. Often small pieces are embroidered separately (e.g. a leaf, petal, wing, or tentacle  Wink), and then attached to the main work to create a 3D effect.

Stumpwork can be fragile and usually is not washable, so its pretty much limited to purely decorative pieces. Traditional stumpwork depicts plants, animals, bugs, scenes, and people, but you can use the techniques for any subject. Its probably a bit tricky for a beginner, but once youve got some confidence with a needle, its awesome fun!

Who/What inspires you?

I love art lots of different artists and styles and I spend a lot of time both making and looking at art. For me, drawing from life is the best way to see new things and get excited about creating things; any subject works, but I particularly like drawing people.

Theres also something quite wonderful about looking through bits of lovely fabric and piles of embroidery threads in wonderful colours. That always helps me come up with ideas.

What advice would you give to newbies?

My top tips if youre new to embroidery:-
* Good materials. Cheap floss and fabric is great for practice and things that you dont want to last (e.g. greeting cards). But if youre putting lots of time into a project, its worth using good quality supplies (I use DMC a lot). Youll be much happier with the result, and the colours are usually much nicer.
* Good tools. They dont have to be super expensive, but good little embroidery scissors and a hoop are really helpful. Use the right needles for the task, and change your needles every so often. You can often get good embroidery stuff second hand too.
* Dont be afraid to undo something. If youre not happy with something, (carefully!) snip or pull it out and change it. I still regularly undo bits in my work.
* Practice some different stitches. There are great instructions for embroidery stitches online, and at the library trying some different stitches will really build your skills and confidence. I have a good stitch dictionary I use all the time.
* Give it a go and have fun! And show us what youve made  Smiley

My top tips if youre new to stumpwork:-
* Yay! Its lots of fun, and Id love to see more stumpwork on Craftster. Although its usually too difficult for a complete beginner, once youve got some embroidery confidence, and youve mastered a few different stitches (e.g. couching, buttonhole, long and short), you will be ready to Break Into The Third Dimension!
* Do a little study. Take a class or get a book on stumpwork and youll find out everything you need to know. I usually recommend this excellent book good instructions with easy to follow photos.
* Start small. It can be very time consuming, so Id recommend tiny projects initially. You can learn a lot making just a single beetle or bee.
* Good gear. I know I go on about this, but you need good tools (you HAVE to use a hoop for stumpwork), good needles, good supplies, or you wont be happy with the results.
* Make it your own. While its probably best to follow some patterns when learning, once youve got the hang of the basic techniques you can get as creative as you want.
* Post it on Craftster. We want to see!!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011 05:57:01 PM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2011 04:51:03 PM »

Yay! Such a well deserved feature. Everything Jemimah does is just plain awesome.

Congrats!!

Great interview Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!
I'm giving away doggy bow ties on my my blog! Check it out here!
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2011 08:04:08 AM »

You're awesome, Jemimah! Thanks for posting all your beautiful work, and for all the valuable information in your interview!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
thepunkyduckling
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2011 09:36:54 AM »

Awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of.
- Geri Weitzman
Confidence in nonsense is a requirement for the creative process.
- Anonymous
craftinomicon
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2011 01:54:22 PM »

I am so jealous of her embroidery skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k4tr1n4
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2011 01:44:47 PM »

Wow this is pretty awesome !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draft a Simple Skirt Pattern
How to Design an English Rose Fabric
How To Learn the Basics Of Bricklaying
How to Build a Bridge
The Food Pyramid Design
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...