A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Past Featured Projects and Interviews  (Read 53940 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MrXStitch
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2010 12:55:05 PM »

TheMistressT is a legend. And is much taller in real life that she is on Twitter.

TheMistressT is far, far too young to be a legend.  Far. Too.  Young.

A living legend.
A phenom.
A goddess among mortals.

Something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit MrXStitch.com to see the best in contemporary embroidery!
Do you hang out at The Phat Quarter?
It's the Mr X Stitch Facebook Fan Page!
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2010 01:22:50 PM »

A living legend. Too young.
A phenom. Too old.
A goddess among mortals. This I can live with.   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_bees_knees

Artist, Illustrator, & Maker Extraordinaire

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2010 12:13:51 PM »

So lovely! The texture of the stitches on the body look so nice and scaly. Did you use chain stitches? I can't wait to see what you stitch next!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2010 10:30:36 AM »

Aw, thanks!  Yup, chain stitches.  My most recent needlwork project was this: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=344019.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beefranck

You know what? You know what? Yeah.

« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2010 06:01:33 AM »

This is a truly amazing thing (I'm looking at it in person right now!), and TheMistressT is amazingly talented. Srsly. I'm pretty sure she can do anything. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adding some awesome to www.mrxstitch.com since February 8th, 2009
Buy my patterns here - http://www.etsy.com/shop/MrXStitch
Come join us at the Phat Quarter! http://www.flickr.com/groups/phatquarter/
My podcast! - www.emergency-pants.net
penelopewaits

mama. crafter. nerd. feminist. gardener. lezzer.

« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2010 06:06:05 PM »

omg, nessie! she is the cutest! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2010 07:40:47 PM »

I am IN LOVE with the Big Lebowski! I can quote just about every line and I don't think there is a month that goes by that I don't watch it. Apparently I am not alone in my love-just check out mafiosagrrl's amazing embroidery! She rocks my socks!

Tell me a little bit about yourself.
Hi, I'm Jacquie but everyone calls me Jackson.  I'm 26 years old and I love in Northern California.  I live in a house filled with robots, vinyl records and artsy, crafty stuff.   I'm a recovering cynic who's trying to adapt to a more positive lifestyle.  However, as a native New Yorker, that's a bit tough for me.  So to cope with changing to a sunny disposition, I spend all of my free time making stuff.  I'm technically an Art Major but really I'm a perpetual student  A student of life, if you will.   Cheesy, I know- don't get me started, I'm full of 'em.  When I'm not stitching, I fumble with paper crafts and I paint.

Tell me a little bit about the piece.
Sam aka Sunnysidey arranged a personal swap for us.  We would both embroider a scene and a quote from a movie and the recipient would have to guess what it was from.  Ok, so my scene was really obvious but I just had to do this piece!  I had drawn the pattern about a year ago and it was just wasting away in the to-do pile waiting for the perfect occasion.  I know, you're thinking anytime is a good time for The Dude... you're right.

I had a lot of fun with this piece.  I usually stitch stuff that's functional so it was different to stitch something for purely decorative purposes.  I just kind of let go, a similar mindset to painting. Rather than fill the whole thing in, I wanted to focus on the parts that I associate with that scene- their hair and her outfit.  Holy copper floss, I went through so much of that stuff, lol.

As for the technical stuff, I used the back, stem, satin, and split stitch.  The only place I got fancy was the hair.  I couched The Dude's hair using individual strands of 5 different colors.  I used three colors for Maude's and braided it using a technique that I posted about in the Discussions section here on Craftster.  The floss width varies from one strand all the way up to six.

How long have you been stitching? Who or what inspires you?

I've been stitching since June of 2007.  I had come across Jenny Hart's embroidered portraits and was so enthralled by them.  I have always loved embroidery, on clothes and household stuff, but that's when I began to think- I want to do this!  So I bought her first book and started stitching little things for my house like tea towels and napkins.  They were a bit of a hot mess but I still love them, we use them all of the time in the kitchen.

I'm inspired by quotes, movies, books, portraits, vintage, kitsch, pop culture... everything really. We already have a talented lady on here named Alwaysinspired but honestly, that's how I feel most of the time.  I want to stitch everything!!  It's almost shameful the stuff I want to stitch...I mean, really, who see's the table flipping scene from The Real Housewives of New Jersey and says, "Oh snap!  That's going to make an epic TV stitch.  Onto the To-do list..."  There's probably something wrong with that but I'm ok with being strange.

Between Craftster and Phat Quarter there are soooo many awesome, talented people who have encouraged or inspired me...  I don't even know where to begin.  As for contemporary stuff that I drool over- I've been admiring the painterly style of folks like William Schaff, lagidgett, Threadstar, Alexcateye, Bascom Hogue and Mimiloveforever.   I would love to be able to branch out and introduce my first love, painting, to embroidery.  I'm envisioning some sort of mutant hybrid of the two.

What are you working on right now?
HA, what am I not working on right now?!  There are 3 big ones at the moment.  One is another Big Lebowski piece for Shannon aka GigglyMama...The Jesus.  Another is a handwritten piece that was a prophecy received by Miki aka Threadstar.  The last biggie is a sampler that is made up 100, 1 inch boxes.  It was inspired by the "Counting My Blessings" Stitchalong.  However, mine is dedicated to a special person in my life, so it's a secret project   Wink  My to-do list is also filled up with swap stuff, I have 4 embroidery swaps going on right now.  Between all of that I'm still trying to stitch up stuff for my etsy too.  I like to stay busy, lol. One of the few positive things that has come out of being unemployed is having lots of time to work on my art and stitching.  Thank goodness that embroidery supplies are cheap!  Paint on the other hand Cheesy

What advice would you give to someone just starting out?
Don't be afraid to make mistakes and to experiment.  We are our own worst critics.  So learn to give that part of you up or at least send it on vacation while your creating.  You can't learn without making mistakes or letting yourself go for a little while.  If you get so caught up in worrying about a tiny crooked stitch or how your piece doesn't look the same as a veteran's piece you'll forget why you started in the first place- to have fun and make stuff you like.  I had an art teacher that used to say, "In the beginning it should be about quantity over quality!"  I used to think that was a flawed statement but then I realized if you stay on one thing, obsessing over every little detail you never get the chance to move on and actually learn other things.  The more you practice, the better you get!  So go make stuff, lots of it    Kiss

What is your favorite line from the movie?

Ohhh, that's a tough one, there are so many.  It's especially hard since I have to keep it clean on Craftster.  I'll be honest, I have a mouth like a Sailor's.   Grin
Of appropriate ones, probably-
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam.  This is bowling.  There are rules."
or
"No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of."

Acckkk, I could go on forever... I'll have to stop of I'll ending up reciting the whole movie!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010 07:42:09 PM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluorescentmind5
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2010 08:42:51 PM »

the usual. bowl. drive around. occasional acid flashback. Ha!
Love that movie, and love this! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xperimentl
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2010 08:21:17 AM »

Congratulations mafiosagrrl, you and this piece totally deserve the recognition.  Your work is always amazing to me and I appreciate the feedback that you give to myself and others on these boards and in Flickr.
"Go make stuff, lots of it."
Grin Words to live by (and a cute quote to stitch up).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2010 11:06:30 AM »

Thank you so much, guys.  When I started stitching I would have never, in a million years, dreamed that my work would be being featured up here.  And if you had seen my early projects, you'd know what I mean.  So, a big thanks to all of the nice, encouraging people out there on Craftster who've helped me to stick with it!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wine Lip Stain and Feathered Eyebrows at Tadashi Shoji FW 2014
How to Do Natural Date Night Makeup
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
The 5 Best Eyeshadows for Brown Eyes
How to Get Rid of Foundation Flashback in Photos
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...