A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Past Featured Projects and Interviews  (Read 54000 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2011 07:30:17 PM »

Thanks so much for spreading the Panta spirit, kittykill Smiley! I really appreciate the feature!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2011 01:26:48 PM »

Perfect - I love the Panta!! You're awesome Lime Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Granite State Stamper
« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2011 10:52:34 AM »

This is too cute!  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

outoftheshell
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2012 10:05:48 PM »

I have just only seen this now and I am truly amazed  Shocked
The stitching is very clean neat and sublime. Inspiring indeed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2012 07:35:46 AM »

Mezcraft has created the biggest stir, not only on Craftster but all over the internet with this amazing Dementor vs. Patronus piece. I have had friends come to me and ask about this amazing piece and the person who made it. Here ya go guys! Check it out and be prepared to be blown away. Mezcraft rocks!

Tell us a little bit about yourself
 I am a propmaker in Canada and have always been drawn to different crafts and artistic activities. I started on Craftster last January and have been totally hooked since. I love the idea of craft swaps - I treat them like an opportunity to expand my horizons and try out new things which I wouldn't have thought to do before. The community sharing aspect of craftster and swaps is so inspiring and other people's fantastic work really pushes me to strive to create more interesting pieces. Through craft swaps I have discovered Embroidery. It's like I have found my lifelong buddy - Embroidery is like drawing for me, but with texture and nuance and colour that makes it that much more fun and incredibly rewarding. I now find I cannot sit down without a piece of embroidery in hand, I feel naked without it!

Tell us a little bit about the project.
This project was for a craft swap and the hoopla theme was silhouette and negative space. I am a Harry Potter fan and so was my partner. I found this image on her pinterest page and it was perfect because it was both a silhouette and negative space.  The technique I used to get the right texture for the dementor's robe was something I have never tried before. Basically I ripped up a bunch of pieces of black and grey/green fabric so they were really rough on all edges, I twisted them and bunched them and stitched them down.  I had no idea how it was going to turn out when I started but I was really happy with the texture when it was done. I did do some fill in stitches in smaller areas with black floss as well.

What do you have planned for your next project?
I have been experimenting with a faux batik technique that was featured on craftster (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401008.0). I love the opportunities that it presents and I am currently working on some Day of the dead embroidery that involves working with that. I don't want to give away too much because it is part of a personal swap!

What advice would you give someone just starting out?

I think that my advice would always be to experiment and to not be afraid to step outside of your comfort box with stitching. It's really easy to just do a straight stitch all the time, but the more you work with more complex stitches the better you get at them and your pieces will look more interesting because of it. The best thing about embroidery is if it sucks, you can just unpick it and do it again, there isn't much art out there that gives you that much freedom. I also think sometimes not to play by the rule book with stitches. If I had I wouldn't have created this piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calixita

thought I heard a saxophone; I'm drunk on the moon

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2012 08:52:17 AM »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2012 09:04:09 AM »

Amazing talent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seeuudee

Smile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2012 06:43:12 AM »

That's amazing - I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pixiefirefly
In and out of consiousness

Life can be so random

« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2012 06:22:43 PM »

Wooooo hoooo Mezcraft! Congrats! I'm stoked I get to look at it every day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #199 on: May 29, 2012 10:44:09 AM »

Okay, first off, ZidishaLuxe is so super sweet! It just kills me how friendly and adorable she is. Second, she has MAD skills in the needlework department! I LOVE her anatomical heart. It is so out of this world!

Tell me a little bit about the project.
I designed this hoop for sheepBlue in the last round of the Invite Your Partner swap. I was perusing her Pinterest and I noticed she loved anatomical hearts and mixed media projects. I had wanted to stitch up a heart for ages and it seemed like the perfect opportunity. I just so happened to come across some beads that someone had sent me as an extra in a swap, and the idea was born! I used an outline stitch to outline and do a bit of filling/shading then filled in the rest of the heart with three shades of red and one of blue. I chose the fabric on a whim, simply because it was the only light colored fabric I had in my stash and Im so glad I did! After finishing the beading I thought the piece seemed a little lacking and then it hit me to play off of the pattern to create some expressive blood spatters with a few shades of red.

Tell me a little bit about yourself.

I am a student at the University of Georgia, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Sociology, and minoring in Consumer Economics. Crafting is pretty much my lifeblood. I always have a project (okay, make that a few) in progress. My main point of interest is fashion design and I sell clothing online, design for local fashion shows, and even sell in a boutique downtown. However, I love to delve into new crafts whenever the opportunity arises. Thats how I got into embroidery I was so inspired by the hoopla swaps that I signed up for one though Id never attempted any needlework and then pushed myself to learn by doing. I feel like craft swaps in general have really helped me to expand my crafting horizons, both from trying to make items that I think my swap partner will love and from seeing the seriously amazing things others make.

The piece you did was beaded-was that hard and what pointers could you give us when working with beads.

This project was actually my first time using beads, and I was very pleasantly surprised at how simple it was! It was just like filling an area with seed stitching, except I picked up a bead on each pass. For the continuous rows I picked up three at a time, I think any more than that would have made it difficult to manage the positioning. My advice for doing anything youve never attempted is always, Go big or go home! I find that things are rarely ever as difficult as we thin they're going to be.

What's your next project?
Im not sure what my next needlework project will be! Ive really wanted to try some detailed portraiture, and Ive really been wanting a Royal Tenenbaums piece, so perhaps Ill give those two a go all in one!

Who/What inspires you.
What doesnt?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Vicky
How to Draw Velma
How to Draw Vegeta
How to Draw Vaporeon
How to Draw Tyson Granger
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...