A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 306,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Past Featured Projects and Interviews  (Read 61759 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2011 05:44:45 PM »

Awesome! Way to go OGD! Your goodies always rock, well deserved!

Side note: is it weird that every time someones says "OGD", I have to read it twice 'cause at first I read GOD!? Cheesy

thanks.... thanks..... and thanks!!!!

Side note back to ya: glad you think of "GOD"..... because when people started saying OGD instead of onegroovyday, all I could think was "OH GOD DAM".....which is really bad!!

Okay, I'm home now and full able to absorb the awesomeness of your feature!! I'm always in such a panic when I use my free time for emails at work, so I didn't get to soak it all up properly until now.

Anyhow, this piece is incredibly beautiful. I'm not a fan of Dr. Who, but if this were mine, it would be hung where all could see. You've got such an amazing knack for making things beautiful and I love all your creations. You really bring them to life! I love how the sky looks like 'A Starry Night'...all swirly and gorgeous! I love that when you open the doors, there's a special surprise. I just love absolutely everything about it.

As I said before, this is so well-deserved. You're an amazing artist AND you're also so amazingly kind and generous with your words. Good on you, love. You should be very proud!!!

thanks again Foxy....you gave me warm fuzzies!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SnB
Crafting my way to oblivion!

Crafting my way to oblivion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2011 11:15:05 PM »

Your double hoop tutorial was fabulous! I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, and I think you really nailed it! Smiley Great project and awesome interview. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://thecraftyginger.com

What happens when a bunch of women on a remote military tour get together in the yarn capital of the world?

Participating in:

2011: The year of monthly craft exchanges!
 - May: Dishalicious Dishcloth/Washcloth Swap Rd 11
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2011 06:43:15 AM »

Such a great selection, kittykill!!

YAY OGD!! You never cease to amaze me with your cleverness and out-of-the-hoop thinking. You are one seriously talented and awesome crafter and friend. I'm determined to get across the country one of these days so we can have a hoopla stitch-and-bitch session together Smiley.

I can't wait to see what you come up with next!! And not just because we're swapping together in the IYP... Smiley Smiley.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bakingteacher
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2011 03:00:52 PM »

Wow I am going to give up now...that is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

@bakingteacher
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2011 12:28:10 PM »

When I first saw this project, I couldn't believe it was stitched up. I thought it was printed or painted. It is just what a love in my stitching-saucy women and low brow art. Chellum is an amazingly talented embroiderer and I can't wait to find out more about her.

chick 2 by fumeusefatale, on Flickr

joe shuster embroidery by fumeusefatale, on Flickr

chick 1 by fumeusefatale, on Flickr

Tell us a little bit about yourself

My name's Chelsea, I'm from a big forest in Qubec, and come from a wonderful, super cool family!
I'm presently living in Ottawa, with my lovely man; Stefan, our two buddies, and a mini slew of animals!... Toy poodle, betta fish and tarantulas, oh my!
I'm in love with vintage, and the "good old days!" Sixty's pop hits are the songs that make me the happiest!
There's almost never a moment I'm not thinking or fantasizing about stitching!

Tell us a little bit about the project

I had been trying to figure out what to embroider next, and I came across Joe Shusters' "special artwork," and realized they'd all make such awesome stitcheries! It took me forever to choose one!
It's all done using only one or two threads. This baby took me many hours to complete. Almost all of the detail is done by eye... and I was using my laptop as reference... So I kept having to look back up and down for the smallest of speckle, to get everything right- I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my work! Many episodes of S.V.U., Gilmore Girls, and Friends were "watched." (I more so just listen!)

What inspires you?
Absolutely everything! There hasn't been a day since I got into the art where I haven't seen or thought about some that would be a fantastic piece! In fact, it's counterproductive, I have so many ideas, it's very difficult for me to actually pick something to devote so much time on!
When it comes to my embroidery heroes, Meagan Ileana is way at the top! I admire all of her work so much! I love Jenny Hart's beauties as well!

What advice would you give to the masses?
The more you stitch, the happier you'll be with your work!

Go for the piece you don't think you'll be able to ever finish, the more time you spend on it, the more rewarding it'll be!

You need a nice, strong hoop, and the fabric should be pulled as taut as a drum!
If you're not happy with a stitch, take it out, don't let it bug you!

For detail work, using one thread is the best!

I really have to recommend a hoop stand, especially for hours-long embroidery binges! They're the most brilliant things, and facilitate working so much! I never want to stitch without mine! Seriously.

What's next for you?
I'm trying to figure out what I should do, it's very difficult! I want to start sewing my own artwork, it's my dream; however my indecision is overpowering! I have to think very, very hard about this one!

I'm so glad I have Craftster, it's one of the happiest places on earth!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011 12:29:42 PM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2011 09:05:17 AM »

Awesome selection this month! I was totally blown away by this piece when it first appeared. Great interview!

I can't wait to see more of your work, Chellum!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011 09:06:41 AM by LimeRiot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kill3rkif
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2011 09:47:58 AM »

~ This is amazing!!! I'm extremely inspired by this!! Thank you so much for sharing!! >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2011 11:06:30 PM »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2011 02:29:25 PM »

When I first saw this amazing project by VanGo87 I about fell over! I am in love with everything about it! The construction is wonderful and of course, I can't get over the stitching. You can check out in progress photos here

Tell us a little bit about the piece.

This little guy was made for my swap partner in the Cant Get Enough of Disney Swap. While brainstorming and googling ideas on Beauty and the Beast craft projects, the idea struck and I was whisked away on designs on how to execute it properly on a low budget and physically work.
After a week of planning and about four days of construction (and of course trial and error) this little guy finally came together. There were times I wanted to throw him at the wall (like when I realized that I bought the wrong size clock parts or that the clock parts didnt come with instructions) but I eventually made it work and I am happy to say my swap partner loved it so it was entirely worth all the hair pulling.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I have a BA honors in Film  and a complete geek. I live in Canada with my very large family and my even larger craft, PEZ and DVD collections. I recently turned twenty-four (not like my younger boyfriend will ever let me forget) and Ive been crafting since I could remember thanks to my equally crafty mother, family and friends.

Do you have any other pieces like this planned for the future-what is your next project?

I have a lot of ideas for future geeky projects too much that I dont know how to keep track of them! Im working on making the Cogsworth Clock tutorial (however Im thinking of snazzing it up with wood instead of cardboard), a collection of cross stitched sh*t happens hoops based on movies and video games, a cross stitch Doctor Who TARDIS clock, and a Home is where the TARDIS is cross stitch for my sister and her boyfriends new apartment.

What would you tell someone just getting started?

Patience. Have a lot of it. If something doesnt work, learn from your mistakes and keep going. I have made so many craft related mistakes that I cant even count on my fingers and toes anymore! Also, dont be afraid to try something new or set a goal. I thank my swap partner for not giving me any boundaries and letting my head run wild with ideas. Surround yourself with people who encourage and inspire you, youll never know where that support and creativity can take you!

What/who inspires you.
Not to sound clich, but everything and everyone. I tend to look around at what others have made and ideas tend to spring from that. As for specific people I would have to say my mother, sister and best friend.
My mom has always been a creative person but didnt take the creative path when she was younger because it wasnt seen as a good choice. Until this day she surprises me with her unique creativity and her ability never to give up.
My older sister is someone I always looked up to. Her artistic talents were far better than my own growing up and I always pushed myself to try and make something that would make her say wow, make me one, which recently has started happening so I know I have her respect as an artist.
As for my best friend, she has an amazing artistic work ethic that I would love to have. She knows what she wants and will keep trying until she gets it right. Without her support and encouragement, I dont think I would have branched out artistically. Not to mention that they are all as geeky as I am so whenever I make something related to our favorite fandoms and they like it, it really inspires me to make more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xperimentl
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2011 09:58:12 AM »

It's always great to see embroidery and cross stitch used in a creative and unexpected way.  This is wonderful!  The feature is well-deserved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...