A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Past Featured Projects and Interviews  (Read 54026 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Andrea Mildred
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2011 06:31:13 AM »

This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I still have no idea what stumpwork even entails. Magic, I'm thinking.
& I love interviews with tips! Thanks for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Andrea Mildred
My sewing and embroidery blog: http://andreamildred.wordpress.com
Cherry48
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2011 09:52:49 PM »

Wow and awesome! I am a totap newb to embroidery but this just pumps me up to think out of the floss box!  Grin

Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

private swaps are welcome! Cheesy
Keeping it Mint!
<3 CHERRY
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2011 09:18:30 AM »

I am a huge fan of Dr. Who, I won't try to deny it. When I saw this unbelievable piece of needlework, I squealed in delight. onegroovyday is constantly pushing the boundaries of the stitching world and this is no exception-not to mention she is super duper nice and always willing to offer up advice and tutorials.

This is AMAZING! Seriously guys, words can not express how much I love this.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.......

I am a single mom to two wonderful (most of the time) teenagers and a cute little four legged furry creature, Tinkerbell, a rescue dog that has been with us for a little over three years.  My mind is constantly whirling, pondering what I can create next that I haven't done or seen done. I strive to do what hasn't been done before. I typically don't follow patterns, I used to think I couldn't but now know I can, I just don't like to.  I need to be able to visualize what I am going to make. I walk around with a sketchbook/journal at all times never being quite sure when a new idea will hit me. I got my first sewing machine when I was 7 and haven't stopped crafting yet.  My most productive creating time would have to be in the wee hours of the morning when everything is quiet and new.

Tell us about the project.......

It started when I was partnered with Jemimah in the hoopla 4 diptych round swap... We all know the incredible work that Jemimah does and I was determined to create something that was equally as amazing for her. She had a long list of themes for me to choose from which included both Doctor Who and van Gogh....and I guess this is where the ideas started flowing....after a handful of sketches I started.. I typically don't have a 'final' picture in my head of what I want something to look like, I just go with the flow....I painted the Starry Night with  watercolors and a bit of acrylic, highlighting here and there with colored pencils....I was pretty pleased with the way it came out, but also felt it was missing something, which is when I decided to add the embroidery detail to it.... then came the time to work Doctor Who into the plan.... this is where it got a bit hard for me... I have never watched Doctor Who, so it was time to do a little research... thank goodness for google and youtube.

I think I need to rewind a bit... while waiting for partners ... I experimented with a lot of different ways to use two hoops.... I woke up around 4am one morning knowing exactally what I wanted to do.... a "hoop within a hoop".... got out of bed, went downstairs and played around with the hoops until I figured out.

You are always trying new techniques and pushing embroidery to the next level-what is your next project?

to be real honest... I'm not quite sure....and not to sound real weird.....but one day Ill wake up with a "vision" of that something new and different that I have to try.

What would you tell people just getting started in needlework?

For those of you who know me, know that it was less than a year ago that I did my first embroidery..So my advise to all of you out there that want to try.... Jump in with two feet.....use your imagination....don't say "I cant" say "Ill try my best"

What/who inspire you?

I will honestly say that it is a mixture of people that I know, projects that I have seen, as well as hints and chit chat here on craftster that have been my inspiration.....thr ee people that come to my mind here on craftster are....Phizzychick, who is incredible ....FoxyBlue, who has a style that is all her own, I would know a Foxy work of art without even seeing her name on it.... and Jemimah, who, without even knowing pushed me to the next level with my new found love of embroidery.... a BIG thanks to all of you!!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011 09:20:45 AM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoxyBlue
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2011 11:31:33 AM »

Oh my goodness...I love you! That is so awesomely kind of you to mention me. I'm honoured. And I'm especially honoured because you're incredibly talented and I'm always in awe of your work. This is definitely a well-deserved feature!!! Congrats and thank you!!!! xoxoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2011 01:23:19 PM »

OGD is definatley a crafty woman and totallllly deserves this!! yea for you!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jemimah
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2011 01:29:54 PM »

Fantastic feature!

I love this piece so very, very much - I think I scared the cat with all my jumping around in delight when I opened it up! It's not just that it's beautifully made (which it is), but the design is so creative and thoughtful and beautiful!

Thank you OGD! You are a crafty inspiration to me too - it's fantastic to see how you keep trying new things and thinking beyond what's already been done, and I love all the colour and energy you put into every wonderful thing you make!! You're amazing!!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011 01:33:05 PM by jemimah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2011 01:36:12 PM »

Thanks guys..... Foxy,the love is mutual.... lets just leave it at "we inspire eachother".... norm, you are so kind and always full of compliments for me and what I have done, its people like you who make me want to keep pushing forward..... and JEMIMAH.... the energy I get from you is unspoken, you are half way around the world and I feel like you could be sitting right next to me!! Wink

thanks again to all of you guys!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

canamharris
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2011 03:00:57 PM »

Bravo OGD! I'm always amazed at everything you do! Can't wait to see what else you create!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2011 03:20:43 PM »

Awesome! Way to go OGD! Your goodies always rock, well deserved!

Side note: is it weird that every time someones says "OGD", I have to read it twice 'cause at first I read GOD!? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoxyBlue
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2011 04:04:49 PM »

Okay, I'm home now and full able to absorb the awesomeness of your feature!! I'm always in such a panic when I use my free time for emails at work, so I didn't get to soak it all up properly until now.

Anyhow, this piece is incredibly beautiful. I'm not a fan of Dr. Who, but if this were mine, it would be hung where all could see. You've got such an amazing knack for making things beautiful and I love all your creations. You really bring them to life! I love how the sky looks like 'A Starry Night'...all swirly and gorgeous! I love that when you open the doors, there's a special surprise. I just love absolutely everything about it.

As I said before, this is so well-deserved. You're an amazing artist AND you're also so amazingly kind and generous with your words. Good on you, love. You should be very proud!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Marshmallows Dipped in Chocolate
The History of Sweetheart Candies
Football Field Dessert Recipe for Super Bowl
How to Make a Super Bowl Dessert-a-Dome
How to Make Fortune Cookies for a Happier Chinese New Year
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...