A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Past Featured Projects and Interviews  (Read 55464 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009 08:02:56 AM »

So,maybe I'm a little bias here but if I am, so are all of you because you picked Mistress T for this month's featured project! She is an amazing Craftster dabbling in what seems like every medium. Check out her interview and find out more about this amazing lady!

to change your image viewing settings please click here

to change your image viewing settings please click here

1.   Tell me a little bit about the project.
This is a long-ish story, but since you asked about 15 years or so ago I was at an open-studio sale for a potter from whom I was taking pottery classes and she had this old, thrifted plaster lamp. It was originally meant to look like an ancient urn with people in togas circling it holding jars of sacred stuff and orbs and such. Some friends of hers had repainted it to look like they were carrying jars of Cheez Whiz and bowling balls and all kinds of funny stuff.  I LOVED that lamp and had wanted to do something similar.  Sometime through the years it occurred to me to alter toile fabric with embroidery instead of something else with paint. Last summer I found that toile, it was a good price and I thought suitable for my long-simmering idea.  Then it sat folded up in the fabric bins in the craft room for months during which time I happened upon Richard Sajas work which both inspired and intimidated me.  I decided that I just needed to sit down with some in the hoop (I was afraid to cut it because I didnt know what the end piece would be, so I worked it with 2 yards of 54 fabric folded under the hoop) and just start stitching or Id just keep putting it off, so I did.  The one caveat being that I wanted to use only floss I had on hand, which is about 15-20 colors and about 1/3 of that is stuff Ive picked up in craft supply bags at thrift stores, so not necessarily nice colors or very much of them.

I started when I decided to make his waistcoat into an argyle v-neck, found 3 colors that I thought would work and that Id have enough of to do each section.  Next I did the foxs jacket and while doing that I decided to have the duck say and the fox think, Fuck cancer.  I added the man because it lightened the mood a bit and felt to me like it would anthropomorphize the critters just that much more which I thought would be more to the style of my friend for whom I made it.

2. Tell me a little bit about yourself.
I own a small house and a small decorative painting business in Portland, Oregon. I live part-time with 2 cats that I co-parent with my ex and with way too many things that I thought I could use to make something. One of my current projects is to use up those things and get rid of the other extra stuff in my small house. I decided to try to sell some of my crafty things when I happened upon one of them in the wist of someone I didnt recognize from craftster, but havent been keeping up with that much lately. I hope I can come up with a great idea that will both help me make my stuff into something AND revitalize my crafty business endeavors. Other than working and crafting, I spend my time searching out creative stuff, reading and hanging out with The ManFlesh and other beloved folks.

3. What/who inspires you?
I can honestly credit my finding and lurking on craftster with getting me back into crafting after a long dry spell where I only made the occasional thing - the people and projects here are so varied and interesting that it's injects energy into my creativity. Aside from here, I find inspiration all over the internet in blogs, podcasts, flickr, etsy, etc. and in person at retail stores and craft fairs, thrift shops and estate sales and almost everywhere, even though that sounds trite.  These days Ive been getting more involved with the goings on in the world of needlework via the fine folks at Mr. X-Stitchs blog and a few flickr groups and that involvement had a lot to do with me actually sitting down to start and then repeatedly sitting down to finish this project.

4. How long have you been stitching and how did you get started?
The first time I did any embroidery I was 11 years old. My mom was working on 2 big pieces to decorate the entry wall in our house and she let me do a few stitches on hers, but got me my own kit shortly after probably to keep me out of project, now that I think about it. It was a two-sided Christmas ornament (stuffed) of a little boy with a snowball (a pompon) in his raised hand.  I still have it and I think his plaid sweater partly inspired the argyle sweater on the fox. Anyway, I hadnt done more than a few decorative stitches on anything again until about 25 years later and have only done a handful of projects in the meantime. I would like to do more embroidery, but a couple things get in my way. First, I like to either be in front of the TV or on the road or otherwise multi-tasking when I embroider, but I dont get TV reception and dont get to ride the bus or train or be a passenger on a long drive much at all. Second, I like to do a variety of crafts and theres only so much time.

5. What advice would you give other stitchers out there?
Ummmm, I dont know that Im in a position to offer advice Im just getting started again. I guess I would encourage people to follow their own esthetic urges. Slow and methodical if you like that, fast and wild if you like that.  There are several types of needlework each with their own personality and you can follow a pattern to the letter or be as original as you want with any of them.

Also, stay in school, dont do drugs, wear clean underpants when you go out (if you wear underpants), dont eat yellow snow, buy low/sell high, slower traffic keep right and The ManFlesh wants to make sure I include in here, Dont trust whitey. [Any fans of The Jerk out there?]

6. Bonus questions:
My house is really cool isn't it?

You know, your house is really cool!  You guys have really integrated your collections, embroidered items and sense of into a cozy, welcoming, cheery and comfortable-to-be-in-as-a-guest home.  I may just show up there some weekend morning in my bathrobe and slippers carrying croissants or something.  The ceilings were a little low, though.  Oh!  Thats right, I was 50 tall that night.  Never mind.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
MrXStitch
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009 08:58:58 AM »

How much do we love The Mistress T?
Let me count the ways...
1) A lot.
2) Even more.
3) Even more than that!

The combination of superb execution and lovely sentiment make this a deserved winner.
And the fact that she name-checked me as well...?  Grin

She's a flippin' superstar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit MrXStitch.com to see the best in contemporary embroidery!
Do you hang out at The Phat Quarter?
It's the Mr X Stitch Facebook Fan Page!
beefranck

You know what? You know what? Yeah.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009 09:02:25 AM »

This is so wonderful, Tara. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adding some awesome to www.mrxstitch.com since February 8th, 2009
Buy my patterns here - http://www.etsy.com/shop/MrXStitch
Come join us at the Phat Quarter! http://www.flickr.com/groups/phatquarter/
My podcast! - www.emergency-pants.net
munchkinarooo
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009 09:30:14 AM »

love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A friend of mine that we met in Len whos father was older than him that and had a washing machine that a guy had to fix, that guys second couisn that had a sister in law that had a grandmother that had a maid that had a friend that sold tofu. Well a neighbour of hers has what you lent me.
MrsBowles

More fun, less stuff...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009 10:09:41 AM »

Sweet,T!
and FYI: "I'm picking out a thermos....for youuuuu!"  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kniterdone
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009 01:42:12 PM »

Congratulations!  Amazing work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post to offer inspiration only.  Please don't copy my artwork!  http://meetmeinthedayroom.wordpress.com
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009 02:14:50 PM »

How much do we love The Mistress T?
Let me count the ways...
1) A lot.
2) Even more.
3) Even more than that!

The combination of superb execution and lovely sentiment make this a deserved winner.
And the fact that she name-checked me as well...?  Grin

She's a flippin' superstar!

Please note that by saying "fine folks at..." I included the lovely and talented (and hilarious) beefranck in my statement.  Behind every manbroiderer is a women with pins as sharp as her wit. 

This is so wonderful, Tara. Smiley

Thanks, Bee!

love it

There's no love like craftster love!

Sweet,T!

Thanks!  Maybe it's the neck pain, but I don't know what that means!   Grin Tongue

Congratulations!  Amazing work!

Thank you, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009 02:18:36 PM »

Wink Sweet. MistressT deserves the feature and more....her projects ROCK! Grin (bows down to kiss her feet) Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
MrsBowles

More fun, less stuff...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009 04:04:04 PM »

Sweet,T!

Thanks!  Maybe it's the neck pain, but I don't know what that means!   Grin Tongue

Thank you, thank you!

It's from "The Jerk" !! Grin
And you'd be surprised by how often it's an appropriate reference.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009 04:07:46 PM by MrsBowles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009 04:45:20 PM »

Ooooooohhhhhh!  I should probably see that movie again... it seems to have a lot of lines that would be good for embroidery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coleman Barks Reads Rumi
Writing Nature in the Age of Science
A Glimpse of Hollywood Past and Present with Harriet Evans
The Gift In Failure
Author Sarah Lewis LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...