A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: We'll build a house around her! (image heavy)  (Read 18901 times)
Tags for this thread: woodwork  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kazzandco
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009 10:27:25 AM »

This is great.I love it! I want one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangeponcho
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009 12:05:38 PM »

Since a lot of people are curious about snow, I feel like I should add - cob really doesn't do well if it gets wet, so the place to definitely not build with it is in a flood plain.  Otherwise, to protect from rain, it's good to build a nice stem wall (the part of the foundation that you can see) for the rain to splash on and have a roof with good, overhanging eaves.

I was thinking about whether snow melting and being wet would be a problem - I think in a place with driving rain or lots of slushy snow that would worry me, I'd use a lime plaster for the exterior instead of an earthen one.  Lime plaster eventually turns back into limestone on the side of your building!  I haven't really used it, but I'd love to play around with it more.

Retro_Rose: It's pretty easy to learn!  Check out the sites I posted above for nearby workshops. But also, if you're at all close to Vermont, there's a lot of natural building there - one place is a building/design school called Yestermorrow (I'll be there this summer!). Here are some more builders in the northeast: http://www.nbne.org/

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TansysMaySigh
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2009 03:58:15 PM »

I love how it looks like it just melted itself onto the rocks
Its really quite amazing

THIS ROCKS   Logged
twobluestripes
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2009 05:22:58 PM »

I am so excited to see this! Building a cob house is one of my life's goals (along with sailing a tall ship, learning to play the banjo, being a an excellent bartender, and working as a pyrotechnical, all COMPLETELY unrelated to anything I'm doing or studying right now). I love reading about it all, and I explain it to my friends and art professors. I'm always surprised about how many people have never heard of cob or other natural building... the techniques have been around for 1000s of years, and some structures in Europe are hundreds of years old! It's amazing.

It's really a lovely little room you've built, perfect for guests. I want to take some workshops on natural building like you did, especially with Cob Cottage Company, because I've read a bit about them and they seem to be at the head of the game! I live (well, not currently, but my hometown is in) Northern California, where I hope to return to permanently someday. We have a lot of hippies around, and possibly some natural buildings and people who participate in it, but only one place that teaches workshops and classes that I know of. Oregon's not too far, maybe I could make up there to really learn about it. Unfortunately, down here in SoCal it's almost impossible to find this kind of stuff... we have very little rural areas, and too many cities with stupid building codes that don't account for natural building!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangeponcho
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2009 02:38:46 PM »

twoblue:  Haha, your life goals sound awesome.  I'd love to learn the banjo myself.. Yeah, out on the east coast, people really haven't heard of cob!  I didn't realize how unclear I was being in describing what I was doing until two friends independently mentioned to me how you could build houses out of corn.  I thought, "Hmm, corn, I haven't heard about this technique, interesting... oh, COB!!!!!" 

I know pretty much nothing about California, being an east coaster, myself, but I'm heading down to Santa Barbara to do some work trade at a place that offers workshops...  And I have indeed heard that northern California is full of cob wielding hippies.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaiasmommy
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2009 03:43:12 PM »

ok, I didn't read all the responses but, this is totally unique and amazing.  Depending on what property this was built on, this could totally work as a uniqe Bed and Breakfast!  It's so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keeperrox
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2009 01:32:13 PM »

This is too funny!  I've spent the weekend looking at cob and natural building (it all started out with a fascination with cob ovens and progressed from there), and I thought I'd see if anyone posted anything on Craftster.  I just talked to a friend and I think we are going to take the Cob Oven workshop from Down to Earth Designs, Inc. in Bethlehem, PA this August, as we're only about an hour southwest of there.  If I can handle a project the size of an oven, I'll be ready to tackle something larger.  I also want to make sure I get to the PA Energy Fest this year, which is only maybe 20 minutes north of here.

Hubby and I own some land in northern PA that we would like to build a cottage/cabin/weekend home on, and we are both very interested using some kind of cob-construction.  Obviously, we would have to do something about to account for the rain and snow, so I think both the workshop and the Energy Fest will be a good way to make some connections.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Javalita
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009 12:26:52 PM »

I love it - so inspiring and beautiful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audreytherese
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009 06:06:33 PM »

That's amazing!! Very, very impressive!
I also think that the 3rd photo down is an amazing photograph in itself! It has such wonderful light and colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do some exquisite corpse exchanges... anyone else into those? PM me!
sarasaurus
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2009 11:42:37 AM »

love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your Hair in a Perfect Ponytail
How to Style Your Hair in a French Twist
How to Straighten Hair
How to Use a Curling Iron
How to Use a Hair Dryer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...