A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ruffle T Tute !  (Read 3796 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2009 10:37:43 AM »

Grin Hi guys

A few of you asked about a tute for this recon I did for my Mom
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=298978.0

http://i44.tinypic.com/2l8ygwg.gif

first off start by getting and oversized t shirt , the bigger the better

lay it out inside out and cut in this way

it is very important to cut the bottom off before you do any resizing ... so now focus on the center section .. sew the sides up (just like resizing a t ) you should be left with a basic " muscle shirt " ( t shirt w/ sleeves cut off)...  remove the original crew neck ....and set it aside
now lets turn our attention to the bottom ruffle ... take the botton of the shirt you just cut off , and cut it into 2 sections ( make one slightly shorter that the other , then sew them together at the top ... now you need to make it ruffly this is the method I use and its really quick and simple .. take a hand sewing needle and thread it with an thread ( the stronger the better)  attach the string and remove the needle but still keep the string attached to the spool ... now run a zig zag stitch all along the top of the fabric making sure you sew over the "spool thread"  when you are done clip the spool thread and pull it through the zig zag just like pulling a draw string .. this will scrunch the fabric into prefect lil ruffles

you the attach your newly made ruffle hem to the bottom of the skirt ( an important tip if you don't think your ruffles will be long enough... pick the original t shirt hem ... you can get a good 2 to 3 inches of extra legnth that way ) Grin

now lets focus on the sleeves take the original sleeves and carefully remove the hem .. you will use the 2 sleeve hems to get that pro looking neck line ...

now divide your sleeve into 3 pieces like so

now you make your flutter sleeves .. one side has only the straight piece and the other sleeve will have the curved and the straight piece ...
 to ruffle them is even simpler .. just use the looses stitch on your machine and sew right down the edge of the strip when you get to the end DO NOT back stitch ... pull a lil extra thread out and then separate the 2 threads and pull ( again you get the  draw string effect  Grin) now attach your sleeves .. your almost done ... we just need to get the ruffle down the middle .. but where do we get the fabric ?? remember the side pieces you cute off in the beginning .. well trim those into 4 strips ( if they aren't prefect it don't matter )..... you sew them together in a line and then again ruffle it with the same method as the sleeves now pin in place and sew .. the final step is to sew your old sleeve hems onto the new neck line  Grin the trick for doing a great neck line is to make your band about 2 inches smaller than the actall neck hole .. stretch the fabric as you pin it to make it fit all the way around ... I know it sounds crazy but thats how you get a great flat laying neck line

wow that was alot of typing , I hope it all makes since .. if you have any questions at all please feel free to ask

here is a link to a scratch version I did aswell
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=300220.0

thanks so much for looking .. I cant wait to see your versions of this top ,  Have a great Day/Night
Jayne

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012 03:14:47 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vampira_666
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009 11:23:17 AM »

This is soo absolutely adorable!! I think I'm going to have to make one... but my idea for it is to make it into a lil' toddler dress for my 1 yr old!! Thanks sooo much for the tute and inspiration!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~ Vampira_666 ~*
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009 11:26:47 AM »

OMG i was thinking how it would look adorable as a dress on a lil girl !  Grin I cant wait to see the one you make
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Boo_its_Brittany
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009 05:18:29 PM »

So adorable!
I want to make a bunch.
Thanks for the tutorial Cheesy!
<3!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See something you like? Check out my shop!
www.facebook.com/FrillsandChills (Don't forget to "like" Cheesy!)
www.etsy.com/shop/FrillsandChills
*custom orders welcome!*
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009 07:25:59 PM »

OOOh I love this, going to have to try this one out for sure.

Thanks a ton xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009 08:15:08 PM »

Thanks so much!  It's adorable! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisticsue
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009 07:42:47 AM »

Great idea and beautiful job.  Looks like I'll be buying some large t-shirts.  Thanks for the tutorial.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckdragon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009 08:43:03 PM »

I'm so glad I had bookmarked your original post for the shirt you made for your mom.  I totally missed that you had posted a tute!  Thanks so much!  I'll certainly be trying this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
19libra86
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009 06:23:31 AM »

Oh that is so cute! I love it, thanks for the tute.

Your mum must be very proud of you.  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009 06:23:54 AM by 19libra86 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
looneylulu

Just grab hold and let instincts take over.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009 09:15:20 AM »

Rouching is my new favorite technique. I've been putting ruffles on simply EVERYTHING. I love the way yours flows over the shoulder. By the way, when I first joined a few weeks ago and was meandering through past postings, I was ALWAYS drawn to your stuff. I love your style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Bunny Rabbit
How to Fold an Origami Butterfly
How to Fold an Origami Cherry Blossom
How to Fold an Origami Flower
How to Fold an Origami Flower Pot
Latest Blog Articles
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...