A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Good kitchen/ bathroom colors??  (Read 1395 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wildfyre
« on: April 08, 2009 09:02:31 AM »

Hubby and I are days away from being able to move into our new home! :-D I can barely contain my excitement!

However, it was a foreclosure and the previous owners were finishing up a huge remodel/ upgrade when they were foreclosed on. Soo.. we have some cosmetic stuff to do.

My first projects are repainting the bathroom and kitchen.

I'm familiar with painting and remodeling (my Dad built houses for a living) but I am absolutely clueless on interior design. This is my first house and the first home that I have some say in Smiley
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010 11:08:28 AM by Wildfyre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009 01:52:11 PM »

Your color ideas are good.
First thing I would do is do a space clearing to get rid of that negative predecessor "foreclosure energy".  Do an Internet search for "space clearing". 
Happy New House!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

x46
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009 09:17:22 AM »

A lilac bathroom would be gorgeous! I'd paint the brown wood cabinet and mirror frame white.  And the door in the kitchen something other than the wall colour.  The house will sigh with relief once you're done.  What were they thinking!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009 07:57:30 AM »

I know the colors aren't to your taste but you could play with them a little. In the bath you could sponge a lavender glaze over the bright pink and it could make it much more interesting. In the kitchen you could mask either vertical stripes or some sort of leaf ot branch pattern and paint another color over what is there. It could give a unique look. I will admit that I have a tendency to paint things over completely but if the budget is tight glazes seem to go a long way.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gregdill
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009 11:28:39 PM »

Wow, here provide really nice and helpful information. Its helpful for everybody.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twylag
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009 07:01:32 PM »

ooh my aunt has a purple bathroom and my daughter a purple bedroom.  The only thing I caution you with that colour is that it fades & yelllows slightly so after maybe a year if you pick a very pale lavendar it'll look a bit greyish.  I am not sure why that is.  My gramma even warned me that would happen but I did it anyway.
The sunny yellow kitchen sounds lovely.  I did mine in a butter yellow (think subdued sunshine) and the only thing I have to say about it, is that in the twilight it looks a bit ... fluorescing.  And when the lights are on it makes everything all bright and warm and glowy, especially the rich reddish brown wood, but I think it would go well with any wood coloured cabinets/tables ... natural wood is so forgiving and inviting.    I love my yellow kitchen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009 08:34:43 PM »

The color of your bathroom looks exactly like the color I painted my bedroom! But, I understand, it's not for everyone, and the former decorator really didn't take into account the colors of the wood, counter, tile, and tub surround. The lavendar room you linked to works because everything else is black and white. If everything else in the pink room was black and white, you might like it, too.

If you don't want to paint the sink base, I'd probably stay away from a cool pastel like lavendar, and go with a warmer color. What about something in the coral or peach range? Or a warm tan.

In the kitchen, I don't think a bright yellow would go with the wood, it would probably make the cabinets look orangey. I'd say an earthier green, like a sage or light olive that is more to the yellow tone than the blue, or a buttercup yellow would work. http://z.about.com/d/homerenovations/1/0/Y/2/-/-/corridorkitchendesign.jpg
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009 08:38:47 PM by Feast Your Eyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jewelry Casting
How to Cut Jewelry Designs in Metal
How to Make Gold and Silver Jewelry
How to Make Wire Wrapped Pendants
How to Sell Handmade Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...