A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Viva la France (ou Francais) Swap  (Read 13861 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oingoboingirl

VYVYAN! YOU UTTER BASTARD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2009 06:06:33 PM »

I ate a ton of amazing food in france last summer, but all of my friends and I became completely OBSESSED with 'pom-potes'.
They're applesauce in a capri-sun type pouch. Sounds simple, but SO AMAZING. I brought back a couple boxes but I'm almost out...  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.
grenouille78
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2009 09:13:35 PM »

I ate a ton of amazing food in france last summer, but all of my friends and I became completely OBSESSED with 'pom-potes'.
They're applesauce in a capri-sun type pouch. Sounds simple, but SO AMAZING. I brought back a couple boxes but I'm almost out...  Cry

Those things are awesome! They were perfect for giving to our baby on road trips to tide her over between meals. She loved them! Dh and I just discovered a couple months ago that Fred Meyer just started to carry them in the natural foods section (why not with the other applesauce so people can find them??). I think you've got them down there? Check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2009 09:25:33 PM »

http://myboulangerie.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=447
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
jjo2009
j.jo.

how many times around the block is a marathon?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2009 10:53:36 PM »

i love any and all things french!!!
<3
i lived in paris for a year and a half and miss it dearly!!
i cant wait to get back, in the mean time, maybe this will do? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atrandom
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2009 01:50:35 AM »

I almost signed up but I'm still a bit scared. This would be my first swap and I have loads of questions and uncertainties! I can crochet, make jewelry and paper craft but I can't think of anything blatantly French-related... What if I can't find cute Eiffel tower beads or stuff like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katida
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2009 04:01:35 AM »

I always have a couple of pom'potes in my fridge, in case I'm late and have to skip breakfast in the morning! They're great, but it's a bit surprising that there is no equivalent in the usa...

I almost signed up but I'm still a bit scared. This would be my first swap and I have loads of questions and uncertainties! I can crochet, make jewelry and paper craft but I can't think of anything blatantly French-related... What if I can't find cute Eiffel tower beads or stuff like that?
Well, I'm not sure what Americans are expecting when they talk about French-related stuff either... but I'll find out!
And if you can't find Eiffel tower beads, you can still crochet a crêpe or a pom'pote... since they seem to be such a hit!  Wink
I'm pretty sur you can find out something to do, your partner would give you idea about 'French things' anyway...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2009 05:50:47 AM »

"blatantly french" is maybe not Real French anyway.  just like America is not only flags and pickup trucks and walmarts and hamburgers.
so maybe what you could do is look on Flickr, there is at least one group of photos of France, look in the news, look in francophone blogs that have pictures... look in french/european design or deco-maison magazines (if you can't find them in bookstores, like i can't anymore, then maybe online) see what french-speaking people are into. 
or you could try for certain historical styles, if that's what your partner is into.

PS: and then there are other modern developments of french culture such as why Obama is even more popular to french than to americans, and the fact that "Petit Nicolas" is not the children's book character any more, but the leader of the government (i discovered this yesterday trying to find Petit Nicolas videos for my 2nd semester class)

c'mon, AtRandom (au hasard? aléatoire? - great name)  you should join.  we can all learn a ton of things about francophone cultures, just by being curious.

</teacher rant>
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009 06:02:06 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Atrandom
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2009 06:06:46 AM »

"blatantly french" is maybe not Real French anyway.  just like America is not only flags and pickup trucks and walmarts and hamburgers.
so maybe what you could do is look on Flickr, there is at least one group of photos of France, look in the news, look in francophone blogs that have pictures... look in french/european design or deco-maison magazines (if you can't find them in bookstores, like i can't anymore, then maybe online) see what french-speaking people are into. 
or you could try for certain historical styles, if that's what your partner is into.

PS: and then there are other modern developments of french culture such as why Obama is even more popular to french than to americans, and the fact that "Petit Nicolas" is not the children's book character any more, but the leader of the government (i discovered this yesterday trying to find Petit Nicolas videos for my 2nd semester class)

c'mon, AtRandom (au hasard? aléatoire? - great name)  you should join.  we can all learn a ton of things about francophone cultures, just by being curious.

The thing is... I speak French, I live in the French-speaking part of Belgium, I am surrounded by French magazines and French TV channels! I swim in French culture, so to say (even my bf is French, hehe). I would probably have an easier time in an all-American swap, lol! Little crocheted trucks, flags and burgers ftw! But you gave me great ideas and I would love to help someone discover my culture... I love Petit Nicolas, it's so cute! (Not the French president obviously).

Atrandom is indeed au hasard!

Signing up just after this post!  Grin

Well, I'm not sure what Americans are expecting when they talk about French-related stuff either... but I'll find out!
And if you can't find Eiffel tower beads, you can still crochet a crêpe or a pom'pote... since they seem to be such a hit!  Wink
I'm pretty sur you can find out something to do, your partner would give you idea about 'French things' anyway...

I tried to imagine a pattern for a crocheted pom'pote and it made me laugh out loud! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009 06:08:41 AM by Atrandom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2009 06:29:16 AM »

hey you know if people can crochet toilet paper, then why not bagged applesauce.  i hate apple sauce but maybe that kind is better...
and i just saw some needle-felted escargots, only the live ones... well, they had little eyes and stuff.

so then we can learn from you, "Au Hasard"*.  even better.
(*man i had the worst time spell-checking that the first time.  my brain was trying to spell it in spanish al azar for like half an hour and i ended up looking in wordreference.com spanish->french.  it's better to skip english... sometimes.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2009 06:34:18 AM »

oh dude i just had an idea.  this might be tacky ... but ...
you know those little oval bumper stickers of one's favorite countries that one has visited?  as a craft those would make great badges out of felt.  i may give away a secret here but on the other hand, what if others wanted to steal the idea - now they can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Cross Cable Pattern Part 4/4
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 4/9
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 1/9
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 5/9
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 6/8
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...