A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Redress your car - car seat covers for ADULTS  (Read 3549 times)
Tags for this thread: carseat_cover  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Solsisters
« on: April 07, 2009 05:39:59 PM »

On Sunday, I decided to stop settling for something that wasn't "me" and attend to a long-standing minor annoyance in my life. I had these cheap car seat covers that didn't stay on the seat right and honestly did not match my car very well. I looked all over for handmade ones and didn't have much success. I looked at various stores and balked at paying $20-$40 each for something that was either mind-numbingly plain or overly cartoony or wandering into the macho/bad ass zone. $60 in materials later and some time investment to figure out the engineering plus the great tutorial http://www.instructables.com/id/Car-Seat-Covers!/ I found on Instructables, I now have these perfectly awesome car seat covers to compliment my car.

I used the old covers as a pattern and went from there. The other is on my sewing room floor and will get put together this week. The first one took about 3-4 hours but now I have figured out the tougher bits, I think #2 will go together in an hour or less.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftineer
So many crafts, so little time.

My Furry Ones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009 06:44:40 PM »

so you're saying no to Hello Kitty car seat covers? LOL!
This is very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My retirement plans include winning the lottery.

My Pinterest
asl1429

It's what makes time travel possible.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009 06:50:05 PM »

This is totally brilliant.  I hate the seat cover options that are readily available.  They are either made for the 16 year old with their first car or fit the seat so poorly it would be more aggravating to have them.  I am sooooo wisting this! 
PS---the seat covers look great...love the fabric choices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009 07:38:51 PM »

Look at you go!  That's great!  Are the machine washable, too? 

There are so few options for seat covers that I've been sitting on a 14 year old pickup seat with all the stains that go with that rather than commit any money at all to something I don't feel right about.  Maybe now I'll make poor old Bert presentable on the inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solsisters
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009 08:25:44 PM »

The way these are made.. probably not machine washable. There is quilt batting under the two red sections. It's quilted, but not lined. If you did line them before you quilted them, then yes, the covers would be washable.

These are made from 2 off the shelf better quality cotton fabrics from Joann etc (I bought 4 yards of each one. I felt it was better to have MORE fabric than not enough in case I needed to make it twice), plus 4 yards of $3 a yard stretch black lycra, 2 packages (1 per seat) of .5 inch elastic and the warm and white quilt batting (about 2 packages of the small craft size - which was just what I had on hand. you could use whatever cotton or very flat batting you wanted) I reused the little bits of PVC pipe that was in the old seat covers. Just made a pocket to hold it so it can be tucked down in teh seat to keep the covers in place. These ones go all the way down the back of the seat. The old ones were just half way down.

I am putting together number two tonight.

and you're right.. they are all made for people with less than "refined" taste or 16 year olds Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009 09:09:39 PM »

They look great!

I bet your stitching will hold together much better as well. So many car seat overs are sewn together so crappily that they just fall apart again quickly. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
Solsisters
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009 09:51:09 PM »

here's cover #2 all assembled from the front...

and the back. See the little pocket for the retension pole?

and now my car is stylin'!

The fit is not perfect, but the old cover I used as a pattern never had a very good fit either. I am happy with my first attempt at this and can't get over how cool the black and white dots look down the sides. Now I have visions of dash board pads and a back seat cover for at least the lower part of the seat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krissykat
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009 03:25:31 PM »

They look great! I had a really hard time finding seat covers I liked that wouldn't leave me broke, so I settled on some that I wasn't in love with, and that don't really fit my car seats to cover the last owner's cigarette burns. Yours are fab, and it looks like they fit perfectly. Thanks for the Instructables link, I'll have to give it a try sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
Chocolate_Jo

Can I have some fishy crackers?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009 12:30:19 AM »

I love the patterns you used!! *tentative dumb question* BUT what type of material did you use? like spandex? (material ignorant - cotton is as bad as I get)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tg0828
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010 08:47:51 PM »

Your post inspired me this weekend!
I pulled out some scraps of upholstery fabric I had and made seat covers for my truck this weekend.
Not bad for a first attempt and I'm already planning refinements for my next round or even one
for the back seat.   Cheesy  Thanks for leading the way.  Cheesy

Pictures are at:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011 10:51:29 PM by MareMare - Reason: to reveal images for new user » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Haircut You Want
Celeb Stylist Ashley Javier on How to Get Retro-Glam Hair
How to Get Frizz Free Curls with a Diffuser
Faux Hawk Ponytail Tutorial
6 Amazingly Simple Hairstyles for Lazy Girls
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...