A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty new Journal  (Read 3660 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DragonRhapsody
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AP Practicing, Crafty Momma

Crafty, AP Momma of 2 boys!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2009 02:23:54 PM »

I have a few Strathmore Sketchbooks, and as much as I love them - their papers are nice and smooth, and it's easy to tear out - I really dislike the covers. That ugly green does nothing for me, so when I got another little 5.5" x 8.5" sketchbook on sale, I decided this one would be "A Collection" of misc. bits.

I've started to get back into scrapbooking, and I really love to journal, sketch, collect little papers {like old tags or designed paper from misc. objects} and I decided that I also needed something to get me inspired. So this book is going to be a collection of those things. I'll include scrapbooking, quotes I enjoy, inspiring little designs I acquire and slap 'em all into one spot!

Onto the pictures!

The original sketchbook

The front cover. I used some new paper I got from Michaels {in one of those packs, it was on sale!} And the bookmark is a La Senza tag that I covered with a sticker {pink on one side, blue on the other} and attached with some green ribbon.

Inside you can see how I PROPERLY covered the front {the front paper follows through over the binding holes and has a seam-allowance for the inside paper}, and you can see my beginning list of goals. The second page has some fun little tag from some clothing, my hubby's name in Chinese characters and some little cut out designs from a tea-bag wrapper. {I've also recently added a little quote in that empty space there}.

The back cover, with a little bird I cut out from the front-cover paper. And you can see how I messed up on the inside paper. I didn't fully think through the back cover before I glued it down, so it's not as nice looking on the inside as the front cover.

Anyway! I hope you enjoyed my inspiration journal! I hope to add more fun pages later and get my goal list down {I'm planning on adding more to it later, too}! I hope I inspire you to cover your old sketchbooks or new ones, and start something fun and creative! <33
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suganspyyce
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009 03:05:59 PM »

The paper you used is really pretty.  How do you get the holes so perfectly lined and the book back together?  It looks so professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwality570
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009 05:07:24 PM »

What a great idea.  I love the papers you used!  It looks so much better than before.  190% improvement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009 07:57:01 PM »

The paper you used is really pretty.  How do you get the holes so perfectly lined and the book back together?  It looks so professional!
Wow, yeah, that is amazing.

This is a gorgeous upgrade, I love those journals too and the cover is always so blah. Nice work! Yours is inspiring! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
junsuina

Waking Up Famous

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009 09:38:43 PM »

Oh wow! that's really really amazing! It must have taken some quite time to line the papers up specially round those squares and cut it all up. How'd you do it? Smiley

I really admire this cos of how neat it looks. EVEN the back cover. Neatness in my journals eludes me still.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riechan
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009 11:59:44 AM »

yeah how did you do that??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
darkladymajesta
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009 09:16:46 AM »

I too would like to know how you got the paper to look so smooth around the binding edge Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suganspyyce
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009 07:53:14 PM »

To all that had the same question as me, I did some searching and found a tutorial.  I didn't realize that the binding on those type of books don't go in a complete spiral like regular school note books, making it easier to take apart.  Then you get one of those rectangle hole punches to make the holes.  Anyway, here's a link to the tute I found:
http://mamadinis.blogspot.com/2007/05/altered-spiral-notebook-tutorial_05.html  Hope everybody finds it helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009 05:30:36 PM »

Whoah! that's cool. I wish I had the patience to do something like that. My daughter would love this.
I haven't the patience to work with this kind of thing.
Well done, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Flowersbloomforhim
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009 09:17:15 AM »

Wow, that looks really professional. I'm impressed! I think I might just have to try that myself!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Purl Stitch
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Getting Introduced to Pottery
Great Ideas for Cheap Halloween Costumes
Pottery Making: How to Make Funky Vases
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...