A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: clothing donations/banks  (Read 1373 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shorty822003

me want cooookie!!!

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2009 08:39:48 AM »

Hello,

I have been living in columbus for about 2.5 years and am an avid organizer.  I go through my apartment about every 3-4 months and donate stuff. I reorganize and donate things that I no longer use.  I am also an avid thrift store shopper and can say I am really getting fed up lately with the higher prices.  I am going to be donating some of my nicer clothes(things that did not come from a thrift store) and I really want people that need, to be able to purchase it or get it for free. 

I am originally from seattle and I grew up quite poor.  When I was little we were allowed to go to a "clothing bank", like a food bank but for clothes.  I was allowed to pick out whatever I wanted and it was free.  You obviously had to meet an income requirement and the clothes, unfortunately, were not that cool.

Anyways, I am looking for a place like that here that I can donate directly to.  Huh  And/or a place that doesn't charge the less fortunate too much for nice clothes??? 

Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spazgirl1981
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Betsy Snow White

I took up croquet today and I'm on fire!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009 12:35:55 PM »

You might try contacting some of the Columbus homeless shelters and food banks. I'm sure they have groups they work with that the items go directly to the people who need it. Try contacting the local United Way, they would probably know of groups as well.

Hope this helps at least a little.

~Betsy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

maram
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009 10:32:45 PM »

Just in case you're still wondering . . .

Professional clothing can be donated to Dress for Success, near 5th and High.  They accept donations on Fridays only, and help women prepare for jobs and interviews in many ways.

Other items can go to the Free Store, near Parsons and Whittier.  They are open some AM's and some PM's - I don't remember off the top of my head, but if you search for Columbus Free store, it should pop right up.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maram
OhThat
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009 08:25:28 AM »

Neighborhood Services, Inc. has a clothing closet, just like what you described.  You bring clean, usable clothing to them and they put it immediately on the racks & shelves for people to take.  It is a church-based group, but not any certain church or religion, rather a group of churches who work together.  They're on North 4th (close to OSU campus). http://www.thenewmancenter.net/wcms/index.php?id=57,0,0,1,0,0.  I'm getting really annoyed with the prices in the thrift stores too.  My favorite thrift store used to always have tons of things that were .40 and .90 and $5.00 would be considered really expensive.  Now it seems everything is at least $2.00 (which is still cheaper than new, most of the time), but still!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Retouching
Retouching the Background in Photoshop
Processing the Raw File
Post Production of a Landscape Photograph
Post Production of a Low Light Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...