A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ribbed Top from Vogue Knitting Summer 08  (Read 2005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2009 02:28:27 PM »

So, it took me a while to get around to posting this, but here is my ribbed top!

It is knit from Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton, which is wonderfully soft and great next to the skin!  I'm not usually a fan of cotton - it can be pretty annoying to knit with, but this is some really great stuff.  I ended up using it for this project because I had wanted to try it for a while, plus it ended up cheaper to buy this from Webs than the bamboo yarn it called for, however, it is thicker, so I had to make some adjustments.

My gauge for this ended up slightly larger than the required yarn called for (because of the aforementioned thicker yarn), so I ended up knitting a small size so I could end up with a medium.  Because the yarn is thicker, it's not exactly the best summer top, but it would be great for spring or mid/early fall.  I'm thinking about crackin' this baby out and wearing it tomorrow (early April).  Seems like it would be appropriate.  Also, because of the thickness of the yarn, this isn't as flattering on me as it could've been, but it's still ok.

As for needles, I really don't remember what size I used - my guess is I either used the recommended size on the yarn label or one size down.

My other mod, besides the change in gauge, include knitting this just a little longer than the pattern called for.  I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 inches, but I always like to make things a little longer when I have enough yarn.

Things that didn't end up like I wanted them to:  the neckline is pretty loose and stretchy - I think if I had this to do over again, I would decrease more around the neckline to make it snugger.  Also, I'm having a problem with the placket in the back gapping.  This will be easy to fix, though - I'll just sew it closed.  Speaking of the buttons, though...I placed them the amount apart that the pattern told me to, but they still didn't end up evenly spaced (mostly the first and second buttons from the top).  My sister even commented on how they weren't even.  Boo!

It was a pretty easy knit, just knitting, purling, increasing, decrease, and cabling to make the ribs travel.

Without further chatter, here's the finished product!

Front Right:

Front Left:

Full Back:

Upper Back:

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009 02:34:23 PM by Fraugee728 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
KatyPamKnits
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009 02:40:27 PM »

This is beautiful!  With the neckline being so open, are the buttons needed?  Maybe sew it shut so it lays flat?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009 02:40:38 PM »

That is really cool - I love the ribbing on it!  For me I'd have to ditch the buttons on the backside but man that is so sharp!
Super job!

edited to add -
It reminds me of something I'd see on a show set in the future - like Stargate or something.  I really love it... hmm... I need to make friends with making sweaters on my knitting machine - and then taking hand knit patterns and making them on the machine.

I will put that on my shorter to do list..!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009 02:54:30 PM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
kudrea
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009 02:42:22 PM »

Wow, I think it's beautiful, I like that the color matches your glasses. I admire people that can knit sweaters. I'm still trying to work up the nerve to try one myself. Good work, and I think it's very flattering on you, though I know what you mean with bulky sweaters
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fraugee728

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009 02:52:10 PM »

This is beautiful!  With the neckline being so open, are the buttons needed?  Maybe sew it shut so it lays flat?

No, the buttons are really just for decoration.  Like I mentioned, I am planning on sewing the placket shut.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LittleJoi
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009 03:02:09 PM »

I have that issue of vogue and I really liked that top in it but decided not to make it because I didn't like the button closure in the back. Even though yours didn't come out exactly like you might have thought it would I think it looks great anyway and I like the look of the yarn you used better than the one in the magazine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: Sweet crafty goodness from me to you http://www.deliciousstitches.blogspot.com/
cranberrry2001
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009 05:31:20 PM »

hey! This is so pretty! Great job! What an undertaking! :0) I've been knitting for almost 7 years and only just picked up cable knitting and found out it was a cinch! So having shied away from sweaters - maybe they'll be a cinch for me too. ;0) One can only hope! Great job! :0) Thank you for the post! Inspiration! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fraugee728

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009 06:22:33 PM »

hey! This is so pretty! Great job! What an undertaking! :0) I've been knitting for almost 7 years and only just picked up cable knitting and found out it was a cinch! So having shied away from sweaters - maybe they'll be a cinch for me too. ;0) One can only hope! Great job! :0) Thank you for the post! Inspiration! Cheesy

I've been knitting for about the same amount of time you have!  (if you don't count my learning as a kid and then...forgetting for like 10-15 years Cheesy)  You can definitely do sweaters...it's just about getting over the fear of sweaters Smiley.  They don't always turn out like you hope they will, but most of the time, when you're good and check your gauge, they do.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009 06:23:53 PM by Fraugee728 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kelliz
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009 07:55:02 AM »

This looks great on you!  It's a beautiful sweater and you did a fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
everkutz
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009 05:49:54 PM »

This sweater is GORGEOUS!  I love the detailing and the pattern of the stitches--it leads your eyes to the "lady parts!"  It is very feminine.  Fantastic work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Backstage at the Lela Rose Show With Celebrity Hairstylist Ted Gibson
Punk Hairstyle at the Tracy Reese Spring 2013 Fashion Show
How to Rock a Short Hair Style
How to Do Pixie Hairstyles for Weddings
Create 16 Hairstyles With 2 Clip-In Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...