A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a button/badge with stamps?  (Read 909 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tdyans
« on: April 06, 2009 01:57:08 PM »

I'd like to make some buttons/badges as a little thank-you gift to some people who are helping me out with something.  I'll be making the image for the badge with a hand-carved stamp.  My question is what to make the badge itself out of-- what to stamp *on*.  I may end up just buying some of those "make your own button" thingies from the craft store where they supply the plastic and you just insert an image.  That would work, but I'm wondering if there's something more special I could do.  I've made pins from dominoes before, and something like that would be neat, but it would need to be a bit larger than a domino (without being super heavy) and preferably circular in shape. 

Any ideas of a material I could use that can be stamped on and could also have a pin glued on the back to make it into a button?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwicz
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009 12:56:13 PM »

What a cute idea!  How about cover-your-own-button kits and fabric?   I saw some really cute hand stamped fabric-covered button pins at a local boutique, it looked like the maker had just clipped off the shank of the button and glued on a pin back.  Or circles cut or punched out of plastic lids, and pin back findings.  Really anything you have handy that's stiff enough (or can be stiffened) will work if you glue a pin back on it.  Now I want to go find those chipboard circles I got the other day and get out my stamps and pin backs!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spiffyhink
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009 10:16:30 PM »

When I did something similar a while back I just glued two pieces of a cardboard box together and then put my image on top. It worked well enough for my purposes, but I guess it depends on what you're looking for. You could also use bottlecaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tdyans
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009 05:44:42 PM »

Thanks for the ideas!  I'll have to keep them in mind for the future.  For this project, I ended up coming up with the idea to stamp *into* something instead of *onto* something.  I got some sculpey and stamped into it and then cut out the stamped badge with an exacto knife.  They turned out pretty cool-- I'll have to try to remember to post some photos later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwicz
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009 06:35:01 PM »

Please do!  It sounds really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suzanneartist
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009 09:58:04 PM »

I like to write as well as illustrate, and was looking into purchasing a button maker. The cheap ones aren't worth it from my research. But there are people who create the button for you. I ended up having someone make my designs into pinbacks and am please with the outcome.
As far as cloth, I'd look into buying cloth buttons and cutting off the shank as suggested above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bring A Modern Flair To Classic Labor Day Dishes
How to Make a Brick Oven Style Prosciutto Arugula Pizza
Bacon and Escarole Pizza Recipe
Best Foods For Tailgating At The Game And At Home
How to Cook Bacon Perfectly
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...