A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,078
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you sew a bottom on a bag  (Read 6564 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catnasser
« on: April 06, 2009 01:15:18 PM »

I thought I remembered seeing a tut on how to sew a bottom (square or rectangle) onto a bag, but i can't find it...does anyone know where to find it, or have any tips on how to do this?

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bolsachica
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009 01:38:34 PM »

Hmm, not sure about a tut on this, but there are a couple of different ways to make a bottom. One way is if you only have two side pieces (front/back), then you can just sew 3-sides of those pieces, and pinch the bottom two corners so they make a triangle (the side seam should be laying flat against the bottom seam). Then, sew across and you'll have a flat bottom to your bag! The bigger the triangle you make, the bigger the bottom of the bag. The other way is if you have 4-sides to your purse (front/back/2 sides), you can just sew the side seams of all 4 pieces to make a box, then pin the bottom of each side of your purse to the bottom piece. So difficult to explain but I'm sure you can find pictures somewhere to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like unique and custom handbags, check out my blog and my etsy.
catnasser
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009 08:20:21 AM »

Thanks, I've tried the first way you described...the second sounds good too!

On another note - do you have any suggestions for bag bottom reinforcers, besides cardboard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009 02:33:56 PM »

hmm, bag bottom re-inforcers. Plastic binder covers (The kind that aren't plastic over cardboard) coming up on the end of school, the resale shops ought be getting lots of them in. Mmmm. Depending on the size, plastic ice-cream pail lids ought cut down nicely. I personally but plastic cutting boards from a hardware store that sells them packs of 2 for a dollar. They're like the plastic binder covers, but a bit thicker.
Depending upon how firm you want the bottom, then you could use a couple of pieces of Denim or Twill, sew them together and sew them into the bottom.
I can't think of much other than that.
Hopefully somebody else has better ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
ntaga
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009 05:25:05 AM »

I have occasionally used patterns that called for sewing in a separate piece for the bottom and using Peltex or another stiff interfacing to reinforce.  I find it a royal pain to attach the bottom, but if it's possible to slip the peltex in after sewing 3 sides and all 4 corners, it becomes a little easier.  I much prefer bolsachica's methods -- I usually center a rectangular panel over the bottom seam of the purse lining, leaving one end open so I can slide a piece of plastic or cardboard inside. I then sew the sides and make the gussets, being careful not to catch the panel opening in the gusset seam.  With this method, you can remove the plastic for washing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wildwoodgardens
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009 07:16:17 PM »

Most of my bags have gussets. I sew the sides together then sew on the long sides of the bottom piece then I sew the 2 shorter sides. I sometimes use plastic canvas on the bottom of my bags. I cover it with fabric and sometimes a little batting then place it in the bottom of the bage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emmyjo11
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009 09:30:30 AM »

You can also use plexiglass for the bottom.
Just cut it to the size you need.
Either use it as it is or make a little pouch and stick it in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Going Head to Head with Russia
Miranda Sherry Talks About Black Dog Summer
Surprising New Sex Tip Defies Popular Opinion
Dating and Nonverbal Cues: How to Spot Interest in a Potential Partner
How to Succeed in a Job Interview by Being a Friend
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...