A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Edited, I finally lined my in bloom! ?'s from a newbie about the purses  (Read 2094 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2009 10:48:33 AM »

So I learned that when lining an In Bloom, it would probably be a zillion times easier if you did it before you sewed the sides up and before you put the flower on the front.  I learned this because I did neither of these things.  lol  But I finally managed to get it in there fairly well.  I think if I make one again I will make the lining go all the way to the top and put the snap up there too.  

---- FIRST POST----
I made an "In Bloom" this weekend with Red Heart yarn.  I made one of the flowers from the "Garden Scarf" for the front.  This is just a little cell phone pic... I lost my camera.

The questions are about lining.  First and foremost, do I really need to line it?  It's so small you couldn't carry anything heavy and stretch it out, could you?  

But assuming I line it, I'm not sure I understand how to attach it.  I've looked through some of the posts and it looks like you can just sew it in by hand.  But where do I need to stitch it?  Around the top, obviously, but do I also need to put seams down the edges and across the bottom to keep it from turning inside out-ish?

Several people lined it with old clothes...what materials will work?  I'm guessing a stretchy tshirt won't work?  

Also can the "Exchage Bag" be made out of regular yarn instead of the cord recommended in the book?  Worsted weight or something thinner?  

I already love all you guys!  You've helped me so much, and I am loving learning to crochet!!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009 04:45:17 PM by chutzpaw » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009 11:23:26 AM »

I don't know any of the answers to your questions, but your purse is great. It's so cool that I think I'm going to wist it right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009 12:18:30 PM »

To line things, I usually use cotton fabric - non-stretchy and cheap Smiley I don't usually stitch it down at the bottom, but I guess if you're afraid of it turning inside out, you could do that before you stitch it around the top.

I think in terms of bags, you can just use about any yarn you like since gauge really isn't an issue (but if you'd like the size to be similar, then just look for yarn that is relatively the same thickness). You really don't have to stick with their recommended yarn at all Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
thereissomuch
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009 07:12:12 PM »

Below is a really fantastic tutorial on sewing a cloth lining into a crochet bag.  There's even a link to another tutorial within it on creating the cloth lining.  I usually don't sew it to the bottom, but if you're worried then go right ahead, it won't hurt anything.

I have a bag about the same size that I use and haven't lined yet, but am planning to line if that helps at all.  And congrats!  This is such a cute bag!

http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2008/10/tutorial-sew-a-lining-into-a-crocheted-bag.aspx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All this and more at there is so much
JenGoPop
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009 07:26:58 AM »

I would go for the stretchy t-shirt!  The nice thing about that is, if you accidentally make the lining a bit too small, it'll still work.  Plus if you cut it out from the bottom, you can use that bottom seam for the top of the lining (less work for yourself.)  I've also used old business skirt lining and it's pretty nice and smooth.

I've only made the exchange bag in nylon, but I'd be really curious to see it in a different yarn.  If you make that one, you will definitely need to make a lining because it's a little "holey" around the shell stitches.

Good luck!

Oh, and, your little purse is cute!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No more blog + no more facebook = more time for crafting!

I'm also JenGoPop at Ravelry.
chutzpaw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009 01:13:04 PM »

Below is a really fantastic tutorial on sewing a cloth lining into a crochet bag.  There's even a link to another tutorial within it on creating the cloth lining.  I usually don't sew it to the bottom, but if you're worried then go right ahead, it won't hurt anything.

I have a bag about the same size that I use and haven't lined yet, but am planning to line if that helps at all.  And congrats!  This is such a cute bag!

http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2008/10/tutorial-sew-a-lining-into-a-crocheted-bag.aspx

Holy cow!  I was looking over the tutorial, hoping to start in on that lining this weekend.  There's so much more than just slapping a piece of fabric in it!  Sewing machine, ironing board, proper stitch placement... OMG.  I hope I can do it!!  Thanks for the webpage and if I manage a lining this weekend (or anytime) I'll update!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chutzpaw

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009 04:47:21 PM »

Finally made the lining, details in the first post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladyalmalthea
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010 10:24:14 AM »

I totally bookmarked the tutorial- my friend just asked for an In Bloom for her birthday. I love the lining choice for the bag- mine will also be in purples. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggmomma
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010 08:40:32 PM »

I looked over the same tute before I lined my bag a few weeks ago. I ended up measuring between the handles before sewing up the sides, cutting my fabric, sewing up the sides of the fabric rolling the edges and hand sewing it in. Looks great, and took less than an hour. On the next one I do I'm gonna try to sew in a pocket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He asked, and I said yes.
I'm looking for Home Interiors resin butterflies, and License plates from other states. PM me for swap info. I love to swap.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Greening Your Beauty Routine with Sophie Uliano
How to Fix Allergies From Beauty Products
Beauty Product Reviews January 2014
How Celebrities Get Ready for Award Season
Get Red Carpet Ready with Award Winning Nails
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...