A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dog Crate Tray??  (Read 1834 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LTR450GirlOrl
« on: April 06, 2009 09:19:29 AM »

My boyfriends boxer, Bud spends the day in the crate while we're at work. My dog Sully does too, but he loves the crate (unlike his step-brother, lol). Bud cant seem to stop slobbering while in there (I'm assuming he's trying to escape). The slobber gets to the point that it creates a puddle in the crate. Due to this, we can't put blankets or anything cushy in there. The blankets just wont come clean, even with daily washes, it makes the whole house smell like spit, lol. Anyway, we were just keeping the plastic crate tray in there, but it looks like his saliva has eaten away at it. The tray has cracked and come apart in a few areas and is in desperate need of replacing. I looked online for a replacement tray and they're wanting almost $40 for it! I can't seem to think of anything else to use as a tray instead. I can't use plywood (he ate through the floor of our POS house last year - hence part of the reason he's in the crate. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I could maybe find at a hardware store or something to use as a crate tray. Worst case I'll just break down and buy the replacement, but I'm trying to avoid it, lol. Thanks for any suggestions Smiley

And a quick pic of the culprit (on left) and Sully (right).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009 09:21:24 AM by LTR450GirlOrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not a real sport unless you can die from massive internal injuries.

http://i31.tinypic.com/14uja81.gif
Muria
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009 09:52:34 AM »

Maybe a sheet of plexiglass? Depending on how large the crate is, that may or may not be more expensive than the replacement tray.

You could try plywood treated with a no chew coating (the stuff I had for our dog was called bitter apple, if I remember correctly), or just put a thick layer of a sealer of some sort (I'm envisioning something like a resin coating, but you'd have to have a lip around the edge to keep it from running over the side while it's drying).

$40 for a plastic liner (that's already been demonstrated not to hold up under boxer use) doesn't sound like a good idea. I'd try something else first, myself. Figuring his dog will live for an average of 12 years (My mom had a dog that was 18, but it wasn't a boxer), and figuring out $40 a pop, and how long the original tray lasted will give you a good idea how many trays you'll have to invest in.  If it's a short term arrangement (you're getting a yard soon, etc.), then that's another thing to consider.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
k.b.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009 07:56:56 AM »

Call the company who manufactures the crate and ask if they have metal trays.  The newer crates we bought had the plastic trays which I don't like, the company did not offer metal on their replacement site, but when I called up I was able to place the order over the phone. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LTR450GirlOrl
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009 08:02:35 AM »

Awesome! Thank you guys so much for the tips. I will definately make a few phone calls and see what happens Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not a real sport unless you can die from massive internal injuries.

http://i31.tinypic.com/14uja81.gif
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fall Beauty Survival Guide
Autumn Beauty: Breakthrough Tips
DIY Snake Charmer Costume for Halloween
Is It Time to Get a Chemical Peel?
Tips For Long Lasting Makeup and Oily Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...